Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Feraud

Bartender
The wife and I watched a wonderful British series called Detectorists. It stars Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook. The latter wrote and directed the series. The show is a wonderful glimpse at the lives at two metal detecting buddies who wander private and public fields hoping to find a buried treasure but coming up with little more than buttons and bottle caps. The show itself is the real treasure!
We cannot wait to see season 2.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I thought your wife's name was Tina. :p
You are right, my wife is called Tina. According to her she comes well down in the pecking order for my attention. Below the cat, below the jukebox and below the MG. In fact she has given the acronym MG a new definition: My Girlfriend. Subtlety is not my wife's strongest suit.

Feraud

Bartender
Did you notice the eye candy in the form of Becky? Played by Rachael Stirling, who is the daughter of Mrs Emma Peel, herself an eye candy icon of the 60's: Diana Rigg.
I certainly did. What a lovely looking young lady. She first caught my eye in an episode of Luther.
I did not realize Rachael is the daughter of Diana Rigg!

Did you notice the eye candy in the form of Becky? Played by Rachael Stirling, who is the daughter of Mrs Emma Peel, herself an eye candy icon of the 60's: Diana Rigg.

She also plays one of the main character's in a miniseries "Bletchley Circle," very, very loosely based on women code-breakers in WWII. It's a well-done period piece.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Cars That Rock Brian Johnson: Alfa Romeo. Sad, most Americans have never heard of the mark, or only remember the Spider, or rusted out four doors! I like that he spent time on the racing. He got to drive the P3 that Nuvolari drove.

Funny you mention Alfa's. About a month ago I was sitting outside a Talbot's and was struck dumb when an Alfa "Super Car" rumbled into the parking lot. Some Cherry Red monstrosity (driven by some grey haired old git... ass usual) that looked like it could enter orbit.

I looked it up and it was an Alfa Romero Zagato TZ3 Stradale (whew whatta mouthful). I could tell by the curved rear glass and side pipes. Amazing...

140508032429111170.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The wife and I watched a wonderful British series called Detectorists. It stars Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook. The latter wrote and directed the series. The show is a wonderful glimpse at the lives at two metal detecting buddies who wander private and public fields hoping to find a buried treasure but coming up with little more than buttons and bottle caps. The show itself is the real treasure!
Love how they kept finding Matchbox American make cars in the middle of know where!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Funny you mention Alfa's. About a month ago I was sitting outside a Talbot's and was struck dumb when an Alfa "Super Car" rumbled into the parking lot. Some Cherry Red monstrosity (driven by some grey haired old git... ass usual) that looked like it could enter orbit.

I looked it up and it was an Alfa Romero Zagato TZ3 Stradale (whew whatta mouthful). I could tell by the curved rear glass and side pipes. Amazing...

140508032429111170.jpg
I would much rather have what this grey haired old git is driving! :D

Edward

Bartender
Hell on Wheels. What was that? Filler. Meeting contractual obligations. Like Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music (without the smart aspect).

One day I'm gonig to have a MMM listening party, and see how long we can stand it.... On vinyl, of course.

Part of that is due to the DPs/camera and lighting crews/film editors/etc. that created those early TV shows. They were mostly movie industry veterans, many with decades of experience. Younger folks without that deep feature-film background took over these jobs in the 70s/80s, and the visuals became more utilitarian, blander, less striking. (Compare the dynamic, dramatic lighting in the original Star Trek to the "flatly over-lit luxury hotel" look of The Next Generation.)

I never thought of that angle. I first watched Trek in the very early eighties (I remember the original series being first repeated with much fanfare around the time Khan was released, or perhaps it wasST: TMP - I remember all the pressabout "the bald girl" in that!), so perhaps the fact that it was always 'retro' to my eyes helped it. Somehow, though, the original look fresh and less 'of its time' than ever did TNG. For all the latter is still great, those early episodes are so eighties visually it's quite painful.

Essentially, yes, though it's loosely based on the original novels and not the crime drama with Benedict Cumberbatch. I think the producers and writers have even confirmed that; "House" instead of "Holmes", "Wilson" instead of "Watson", and so on. Except I think House had access to a wider array of drugs. :D

House also predates Sherlock by several years - indeed, I think it ended before Sherlock began - so I would suspect the influence was the other way around, insofar as theres' anything more than the initial inspiration behind them. (Oh yeah.... and House was never ruined by Stephen Moffat's planet-sized ego.)

Is anyone watching Stranger Things on Netflix? It's a lot of fun and a cool homage to the best of 1980s cinema!

The ET references are cute. As somebody who lived through the eighties and remembers them far too well to have any genuine nostalgia for the period, I'm enjoying that it's very much a period piece but the setting is mere background, and wholly secondary to the plot. Very tightly written. We've just got two episodes left of series one, and I hear yesterday that the second has already been greenlit. The ET references are cute.

Friends. Amazingly, there are numerous episodes I've never seen before.

Weren't there really only ever two episodes of Friends - The One With Ross and Rachael's lack of chemistry and The One Where Monica Wears a Fatsuit?

God Bless the BBC, this is the sort of true joy they make available when they try. It's a superb little show, very hard to pigeonhole exactly - even categorising it as "comedy" somehow sells it short. Really deserves far more attention than it's ever had (meanwhile, Mrs Brown's Boys reaches series XXXVIII with the sole joke of "I'm really a man, you know!").

You are right, my wife is called Tina. According to her she comes well down in the pecking order for my attention. Below the cat, below the jukebox and below the MG. In fact she has given the acronym MG a new definition: My Girlfriend. Subtlety is not my wife's strongest suit.

Ha, the same thing is said in our household of the cat.... whereas Marlene, God rest her soul, was always cool about it, Greta was like a jealous child when Herself first came on the scene. Since we lost her sister, Greta has been if anything even more kittenish and clingy with me, and will still sleep sitting on me at night.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Hubby thought he was furthering Lily's pop music education, so he showed her Michael Jackson's "Thriller". He didn't take into consideration that she is 6, and has a very vivid imagination. I've ended up in bed with her for the past two nights after she has had zombie invasion dreams. To say I am not amused is putting it mildly.

Hubby thought he was furthering Lily's pop music education, so he showed her Michael Jackson's "Thriller". He didn't take into consideration that she is 6, and has a very vivid imagination. I've ended up in bed with her for the past two nights after she has had zombie invasion dreams. To say I am not amused is putting it mildly.

Living through it, I appreciate that it is not fun for you and you won't see the humor in it, but that is practically the plot from a sitcom.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Retaliate, enforce viewing of: "Village of the Damned." That should spook him.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Retaliate, enforce viewing of: "Village of the Damned." That should spook him.
I can't even watch the White Walkers in GoT. I have to cover my ears & eyes when I know they are coming. Rest assured, I will never view your suggestion!!! (Neither will he. He likes sci-fi, fantasy, & westerns. No horror or gore.)

Feraud

Bartender
God Bless the BBC, this is the sort of true joy they make available when they try. It's a superb little show, very hard to pigeonhole exactly - even categorising it as "comedy" somehow sells it short. Really deserves far more attention than it's ever had (meanwhile, Mrs Brown's Boys reaches series XXXVIII with the sole joke of "I'm really a man, you know!").
Thanks to Netflix the wife and I have discovered many wonderful programs and actors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy