Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well, there was hydraulic boost on the rudder control, and the 377 had an auto pilot, simply nothing comparable to what's done today. The aircraft had an altitude hold and was stabilized on level flight. When the A/P was engaged, you could adjust the nose up/down attitude, and make it do coordinate turns by simply turning a big lever on the central console left or right.
The Super Guppy does not have an auto pilot or assist or any other type of automated controls or hydraulic controls.

Cocker

Practically Family
The Super Guppy does not have an auto pilot or assist or any other type of automated controls or hydraulic controls.

Indeed, I was talking about the 377, not the Super Guppy itself. Do you know if the Pregnant Guppy retained the autopilot, though?

The 377 is one of my favourite aircraft, I find it vastly more interesting than the Lockheed Constellation series.

I don't know about putting Elway up there with Marino. He knew how to win, but it took him quite some time (seasons) before he acquired the consistency of a Marino, P. Manning, Fouts, Moon, Favre, or J. Kelly. From the start, he was an incredible athlete who could stink up a game for three quarters before finding a groove and destroying his opponents in the fourth to eke out a comeback win. His numbers were rarely pretty for the bulk of his career. As an AFC West fan, he was a player to hate (as much as the 49ers). And yet he was respected for the fear he brought anytime he had the ball.
:D

All fair points. I remember when Elway came into the league, his passes were so hard that they were bouncing of his receivers who couldn't handle them (his fault not theirs, but it does say something about, as you said, his raw athleticism).

Episode 5 of "The Crown." The show continues to impress as this episode did an outstanding job of showing the emotional pain that the former king (who abdicated before his coronation) endured watching the new queen be coronated. The acting and directing made you viscerally feel his anguish.

Also, the catty intra-family battles - mainly between the former king and the rest of his family - are great fun as you can see and feel each parry and thrust in this petty but meaningful-to-them war.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Episode 5 of "The Crown." The show continues to impress as this episode did an outstanding job of showing the emotional pain that the former king (who abdicated before his coronation) endured watching the new queen be coronated. The acting and directing made you viscerally feel his anguish.

Also, the catty inter-family battles - mainly between the former king and the rest of his family - are great fun as you can see and feel each parry and thrust in this petty but meaningful-to-them war.

I finished watching The Crown yesterday. It was very well done. I particularly enjoyed Episode 9 (centers a lot on Churchill and his portrait painter).

Of course, I know that a lot of the facts of this series have been overly-dramatized - in particular, the way the Peter Townsend/Princess Margaret affair played out. But that's what Hollywood does - they have to ramp up the drama a bit. Still, I really enjoyed this series and can't wait to watch Season 2, in particular the inside glimpse into what it really means to be queen - and how Elizabeth struggles with being the monarch while simultaneously being a wife, mother, daughter, and sister.

I finished watching The Crown yesterday. It was very well done. I particularly enjoyed Episode 9 (centers a lot on Churchill and his portrait painter).

Of course, I know that a lot of the facts of this series have been overly-dramatized - in particular, the way the Peter Townsend/Princess Margaret affair played out. But that's what Hollywood does - they have to ramp up the drama a bit. Still, I really enjoyed this series and can't wait to watch Season 2, in particular the inside glimpse into what it really means to be queen - and how Elizabeth struggles with being the monarch while simultaneously being a wife, mother, daughter, and sister.

People will probably snicker at this, but it truly doesn't look like a fun life to me. Yes, there are some incredible experiences - and being on the inside of world politics and events is the opposite of boring - but the outsized and overwhelming rules, traditions, obligations and burdens would be oppressive.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
People will probably snicker at this, but it truly doesn't look like a fun life to me. Yes, there are some incredible experiences - and being on the inside of world politics and events is the opposite of boring - but the outsized and overwhelming rules, traditions, obligations and burdens would be oppressive.

No snickering here! I completely agree. Far too regimented a life for me.

All fair points. I remember when Elway came into the league, his passes were so hard that they were bouncing of his receivers who couldn't handle them (his fault not theirs, but it does say something about, as you said, his raw athleticism).
He was said to leave bruises on his receivers. Once he got the right coaches and a better surrounding cast, he was evil.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, I was talking about the 377, not the Super Guppy itself. Do you know if the Pregnant Guppy retained the autopilot, though?

The 377 is one of my favourite aircraft, I find it vastly more interesting than the Lockheed Constellation series.
Good question! On the Pregnant Guppy, the entire tail assembly was removed for loading. Maybe that would work better with an automated flight control, then the side opening of the Super Guppy, and all the quick disconnect control cables?

Edward

Bartender

It's the same with any such hereditary position in a sovereignty from the top-down constitutional arrangement: the one at the very top is in the guilded cage, albeit a very pleasant cage, while those who really benefit the most from it are the minor relatives, hangers on, and the next layer down. I've not watched the show, though I gather from collaegues it tackled the legal questions of constitutional law well, whether or not it gave an accurate portrayal of the true reasons Edward VIII was forced out. It will be interesting to see how honest it is about the portrayal of the younger days of the current royals in due course; given that EII & Princed Philipb are both stil lalive and she enjoys a clear level of personal popularity (not to mention access to all the best libel laws), I imagine a lot of the more intriguing stories they could tell well be somewhat diluted, as is the normal way of things.

Caught the end of the Victorian Slum series on the BBC. Excellent stuff - well worth seeing the series if you can. They've already done the big houses and such over the years, but this is an excellent exploration of what it would have been like to live on the bottom of the heap absent any of the support we now have in the UK.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Another 1959 Trackdown, this time with Nick Adams (pre-The Rebel) as what the dialog describes as a "tough kid," and Edgar Buchanan as a shifty, and dangerous, ex-convict come to Hoby Gilman's town to exact revenge on a saloon owner. If you've only seen Buchanan in his more cuddly roles like Uncle Joe on Petticoat Junction, you'd be in for a surprise here.

Finished the Brit series "Run", a 4 episode drama on Netflix. It is truly brilliant. The writing and the performances amongst the best I have watched (and I watch a lot of TV). Each episode is a short story which is a separate art form not easy to do well and this one is superlative.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
The latest Westworld. They keep playing name games. Anthony Hopkins plays Robert Ford who may have done away with his partner, Howard. Robert Ford was the man who murdered Jesse James, who was going by the name of Howard at the time. Jimmi Simpson's character is named William, sometimes derisively called Billy. Gee, what well-known Western character was named Billy? The park is owned by Delos Entertainments. In the ancient world, the Greek island of Delos was the biggest slave market in the Mediterranean. Slave merchants and raiders came from all over the Med to sell their stock. There's a character named Maeve and one named Hector, names from Irish and Greek legend, respectively. And those are just the ones I've spotted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner