Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I got this lesson the first time I went South to my Mother's Mothers place in rural North Carolina as a kid. When you have to empty slop jowals in the outhouse, pump water by hand and do a hundred other things you never did before just to survive... you gain a little appreciation as to how hard things can be. They didn't get electricity until the late 50's. Rugged. I mean dirt road rugged.

Worf
Same with my Grandparents! My grandfather always said, the highlight of his life, was when electricity came by the farm.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Genius. Still not sure if I like it. It does make you wounder, if Albert would have made his discoveries with out Mileva Maric?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Into the Badlands. As I said a few days ago, I'm glad we're back in the Badlands. I was growing tired of the lower budget Mad Max Fury Road thing. It's always been there, but it wasn't so obvious in season one. It felt more kung fu, and now we're back to it. I think I'm also tired of the Quinn character, but does that ultimately mean I'm tired of the show? I was trying to imagine the series without him, and they don't have a whole lot that doesn't pivot around him. It made me realize how weak the writing and story are. I like all the other characters, but Quinn is on my nerves. He's so one-dimensional and with no room to grow. I hope they kill him off. Please. If it leaves us with a frail episode or few, I'm fine with that. All the other barrons are far more interesting at this point.

Billions. I like this show. I don't love it, but I like it. A few of the situations are a little difficult to believe, but I can deal. The D/s dynamic is very well played and increasingly more and more interesting and integrated. They're smartly showing how it bleeds into other aspects of life in nuanced, real ways. We're talking personality traits, not sex practices. We're talking power dynamics, not bondage scenes. Though we are talking about sex and relationships all the while. The new character, Taylor, is great. This is the type of Millennial we could have just as easily ran into on Girls; not as a main character like here, but Hannah bumping into this type while teaching etc. And of course, when a rigid, emotionless character hints at being human and vulnerable, it is even more powerful within it all. Good actor. Good character. Good writing of them.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Got suckered in and binged watched 18 episodes of "Sword Art Online"! Arrrrrgh I love/hate anime! I love their imaginative tales but hate those non-existent noses and doe like eyes and sing song voices and silly talking animals and.....

Worf

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Americans. For me, the final scene in tonight's episode, Darkroom, was near TV perfection. A stellar episode overall. Bauhaus "Slice of Life". YES. Paige and that entire arc. So, so good.

"Home Fires" series finale

There are better shows on TV, but there are many not-as-good shows on as well. Quite surprised this one got cancelled.

While some of the plots were too simple and some problems solved too easily, they also ran multi-episode story lines that were complex, nuanced and lead to interesting character development.

Also, the show was simply beautiful to see: the period sets, clothes, architecture, cars, etc. were wonderful. I never understood why this very FL period show didn't get more attention at FL.

I read that there has been such strong fan reaction to the canceling, that there is a chance another station picks it up - I hope so.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Americans. For me, the final scene in tonight's episode, Darkroom, was near TV perfection. A stellar episode overall. Bauhaus "Slice of Life". YES. Paige and that entire arc. So, so good.

That was an outstanding final scene... and not just because I spent my formative years in a darkroom! I was also surprised that rather than the usual "tense espionage sequence" earlier in the third act we got... a wedding. Such a brilliant, fascinating, surprising show.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I finished off the Netflix UK series Paranoid. I may need to re-watch the final episode, as I am not certain how the initial murder that set off the story was dealt with. I found this show to improve as it went along.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
That was an outstanding final scene... and not just because I spent my formative years in a darkroom! I was also surprised that rather than the usual "tense espionage sequence" earlier in the third act we got... a wedding. Such a brilliant, fascinating, surprising show.
I find all the family stuff really engaging, and let's face it, that is not an easy thing to do. Not in content. Not in dynamics. Not in language. The fact that religion was involved in their hidden ceremony (though the setup with meeting the priest in the hospital did seem a little out of place at the time). The fact that Russell didn't over-act it and cry, yet it was clear she was moved by it all (which is perfectly in-line with her character). That there are those tiny moments when it is opaque that they're manipulating Paige (are they? aren't they?), while the rest of the time (most of the time) it comes from a genuine place. Really walking a tightrope by the writers, directors, and actors. Smart. Sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy