Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Stranger Things" Season 2 episodes 1 and 2. I'm a bit long in the tooth to feel nostalgic for VHS tapes, Radio Shack and video game arcades... still it's a fun ride.

Worf

Feraud

Bartender
The second season of Stranger Things didn't quite have the charm of the first one. The plot feels a bit derivative of season one and awfully slow. It was o.k. but I found myself distracted throughout.

We started watching Mindhunter on Netflix and I am enjoying it. The writing is smart, storytelling is engaging, and the two leads work well off each other.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
More episodes of Millennium, season two. One episode was "Jose Cheung's Doomsday Defence". In addition to being an evisceration of Scientology, it is a) hilarious, and b) guest stars Charles Nelson Reilly!

That one is brilliant! Love the writing in that. Millennium had some staggeringly good ideas and visual impact for its time. To me it's still better than much of the new stuff I've seen.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The second season of Stranger Things didn't quite have the charm of the first one. The plot feels a bit derivative of season one and awfully slow. It was o.k. but I found myself distracted throughout.

We started watching Mindhunter on Netflix and I am enjoying it. The writing is smart, storytelling is engaging, and the two leads work well off each other.

Didn't much like Stranger Things the first - and it wasn't just Ryder's monotonously shrill performance, I just found it contrived and could only manage 4 eps. Mindhunter was interesting (I saw 4 of them) but serial killers are a ridiculously over utilised idea and after a few hours it became just another procedural with a few writerly garnishes on the side.

Edward

Bartender
"Stranger Things" Season 2 episodes 1 and 2. I'm a bit long in the tooth to feel nostalgic for VHS tapes, Radio Shack and video game arcades... still it's a fun ride.

Worf

It's interesting how well the eighties nostaliga has sold the show. (Ironically, having lived through that era - I turned ten in 1984 - it's a side of it to which I don't relate even as I enjoy the show. I had a very pleasant childhood indeed, but I have absolutely zero desire to relive the eighties again. I actually appreciate the period references much mored as references to a particular period of horror cinema, which I do enjoy, than any love for the time-setting.

We've yet to watch any of it. I enjoyed the first series, though I lean to the view that it has, all thed same, been overhyped since, to an extent whichcan only be detrimental to the return.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night's The Walking Dead (keep it coming!), and I am now finally watching Fargo, season one (we watched season three together, but my wife is passing on this one after the first episode, more a question of time - teaching schedule this semester is brutal).

Feraud

Bartender
It's interesting how well the eighties nostaliga has sold the show. (Ironically, having lived through that era - I turned ten in 1984 - it's a side of it to which I don't relate even as I enjoy the show. I had a very pleasant childhood indeed, but I have absolutely zero desire to relive the eighties again. I actually appreciate the period references much mored as references to a particular period of horror cinema, which I do enjoy, than any love for the time-setting.

We've yet to watch any of it. I enjoyed the first series, though I lean to the view that it has, all thed same, been overhyped since, to an extent whichcan only be detrimental to the return.
I was fourteen in 1984 and lived through the era. The references to 80s cinema were well done but there wasn't enough material to keep me interested in season 2. With the success of S1 they had to do something..anything to satiate the fans.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Continuing with Season One of The Fugitive, with a script by future Star Trek writer John D. F. Black. Kimble is working in the Imperial Valley as a agricultural laborer. The other braceros think he is an INS cop trying to track down illegals. One illegal (Alejandro Rey) at last befriends Kimble when the latter reveals, "I have even less reason to like the police than you do." Amid a forest fire, Rey's pregnant wife goes into labor, and the nurse on the scene (Beverly Garland) can't handle a Caesarian. Kimble thus finds himself in a moral crisis: Reveal that he is a doctor and save the woman; or keep his head down and let her die.

An exciting story, in which we learn that not only did Kimble go to med school at Cornell, he trained in London and Chicago in pediatrics and obstetrics.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Last night's The Walking Dead (keep it coming!), and I am now finally watching Fargo, season one (we watched season three together, but my wife is passing on this one after the first episode, more a question of time - teaching schedule this semester is brutal).
I loved season 3 of Fargo! I thought it was the best of the series so far. The casting is great and the stories are consistently entertaining.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A very early episode of Have Gun -- Will Travel, written by the series' co-creator, Sam Rolfe. Paladin helps an Indian farmer and his wife, mission-school graduates who want to farm and raise their kids and cattle without interference. His cattle are coming down sick, and the local big rancher, an Indian hater, believes the Indian's stock are diseased. With the help of a local pharmacist/chemist (Vic Perrin), Paladin finds that the cows aren't sick; the land is -- poisoned by the presence of molybdenum in the soil. He keeps this a secret until the local big rancher has bought out the Indian, thus outmaneuvering the racist while earning a fee (paid by the rancher), and saving the Indian family's dreams.

Richard Boone's Paladin here is not yet the great, world-weary knight-errant image he will become. He seems more like an educated, clever variant on the standard stoic Western hero (and he still wears a short pale tie, knotted up tight under his black shirt collar).

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Stranger Things 2. Yeah, it wasn't as dramatic and nail-biting as the first one and there were a few characters that really didn't belong, but I still enjoyed it immensely. The young actors in this show are really amazing.

Didn't much like Stranger Things the first - and it wasn't just Ryder's monotonously shrill performance, I just found it contrived and could only manage 4 eps...
I had the same problem with the first season of Stranger Things. I struggled to get through the first few episodes, wondering the whole time what everyone else saw in the show and trying to figure out why people were raving about it. In the fourth or fifth episode the adult characters finally began acting like adults and it got more interesting so I stuck with it, but by the end of the final episode of the season I still felt it was only mildly interesting. I think the fact that I'm still on the fence about whether or not to watch the second season says it all; I'm not looking forward to sitting through nine episodes that I'll find mostly boring for so little reward.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Youngest Shellhammer raved about Stranger Things, and some folks on FB were tickled to pieces that season two was coming, so we're watching season one. The Missus likes it, but I'm waiting for it take hold.
NB: I enjoy using the Vid Angel filtering service to cut down on the rough language.

Edward

Bartender
I was fourteen in 1984 and lived through the era. The references to 80s cinema were well done but there wasn't enough material to keep me interested in season 2. With the success of S1 they had to do something..anything to satiate the fans.

Watched 2.1 last night. As Jim Morrison once said, "I guess I like it fine, so far." One thing I was reminded of was how I enjoy the slow pacing of the show. (But then I'm the guy who liked the slower episodes of TWD for the character development!).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I hear ya. I was in my twenties when the 1980's ended - I didn't get a lot out of the decade the first time 'round and the films I liked were not the ones Stranger Things tried to evoke. Watching ST I kept waiting for it to provide the unexpected instead of cliche. I know most of us like retro but I don't think an homage to an earlier time counts as art in itself.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
After a cold, bit of hail/snow night of tricks and treats with my girls (two weeks ago - shorts and tee shirt to mow the lawn. Last night - toque, gloves and winter coat, and I still can't feel my fingers), we warmed up (sort of, our furnace broke down on Sunday, part arriving TODAY) with some Hallowe'en episodes of Brooklyn Nine Nine. Great fun, and I laugh out loud half the time.

Terry to Capt Holt" "Drinking soda pop was the worst thing ever"?

Holt: "Yes. It was worse than a fruit-forward Riesling...".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran