Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
'Stella', the Ruth Jones sitcom of Sky One, very funny - her brother and sister-in-laws 'escapist romantic' interludes are the highlight.

Despite myself, I have also enjoyed 'Call the Midwife'. It's not quite as marshmallowy Sunday night telly as I thought it would be (and the hair is marvellous!)

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
"Apparitions", a BBC production that was recently added to added to netflix. Wonderfully done, 6 part mini-series involving a Catholic priest and a diabolical plot to take over the world. At first I was shocked the BBC would make such an overtly religious show - Catholic to boot - but it was well done, great acting, and fascinating plot. Too bad it was never approved for a 2nd season. Hopefully an American producer will take this show and run with it!

DNO

One Too Many
:p Works for me though. :p I wonder if Jack of all Trades is still available or being re-run somewhere. :D

Have it on DVD. I was watching some episodes a couple of weeks ago...I enjoy Bruce Campbell but a little of this one goes a long way! Although, I have to admit...that diminutive Napoleon was quite something!

Edward

Bartender
It's been a long long time since I saw Twin Peaks. It was a great show.

You know the best thing? It still totally holds up. There's nothing dated looking about it - maybe because for the most part they dressed all the characters in that very 50s-inspired look that was so big in the Eighties (filming was done in 1989). That and in the sort of backwater communities it represents, people really hadn't changed much in their dress since the Fifties, or so the impression I have suggests. I reached the end yesterday evening.... that final scene.... in 1991, late at night on a slightly fuzzy black and white portable in my teenage bedroom, it gave me the shivers. It still has it now. In a couple of years' time, I think I will be doing it all over again.

What was your take on Lynch's The Lost Highway? I seem to remember being confused, but don't remember feeling that way with Twin Peaks. Maybe today would be a good day to watch it seeing as how I have Washington's Birthday off.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
What was your take on Lynch's The Lost Highway? I seem to remember being confused, but don't remember feeling that way with Twin Peaks. Maybe today would be a good day to watch it seeing as how I have Washington's Birthday off.

I've not actually seen that one - must keep an eye out for it on the television. To be honest, I'm not a big Lynch fan - like Kubrick, I find him very hit and miss. I don't mind things being obscure or open to interpretation or whatever (often I prefer it, actually), but Lynch often strikes me as being obtuse for its own sake, which I find tedious and pretentious.

Exactly how I felt with The Lost Highway. Even with a serious suspension of disbelief, it just did not work. I wanted to like it as I had found Twin Peaks to be so entertaining, but it was a serious disappointment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy