Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Very little is honest or true about the History Channel shows. Most of the situations are contrived. Same goes for A&E, TLC, and most of the other reality TV shows, especially the ones involving treasure hunting and resale. It's a bummer, because a lot of these jobs and situations are inherently interesting. I stopped watching them. After you read from someone involved how fake everything is, they don't have a lot of charm. The "YEP" guy from Storage Wars really let the cat out of the bag when he left his show. And when they have snafus like Otz on Alaska Frontier shooting a bear and then field dressing a stiff as a board, rigor mortis bear that looks like all but the bones and hide are remaining (and not owning up to being a few miles from a Target and Walmart), you realize it's all one big game of manipulation. And then later that night frying up some thick, juicy bear steaks that could not have come from the rotted corpse he dressed, it's easy to walk away from their nonsense. There's more fake drama on the History Channel reality shows than on daytime soap operas.

While I agree completely, I still record and watch some of them, I just fast forward through the fake stuff (as much as possible) as I still enjoy seeing and learning about the items that come into, for example, Rick's shop (I assume the experts who come in to tell us about them are being reasonably honest or they would be sacrificing their professional reputations). I fast forward through all the scene with the "Old Man" and Chumley "fighting," etc. as it is all so obviously fake that it is embarrassing. I do the same thing with "Rick's Restoration," I fast forward through all the false drama about this shop and family, but I like seeing the items that come in and the way they restore them.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Oh geez! That show is annoying!
Yes but the episodes are only 30 minutes, unlike their movie The Long Long Trailer.
If it only has one Long in the title, the film made it seem extra long, so I added one.

The Virginian...yes a Western.
This is a well written show, I had no idea!
Two episodes from the early part of the series.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Librarians, movie. If the TV show is as good, I will watch. The original three Librarian movies were also good! Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain were good as usual! Normally I don't like John Larroquette, but he is perfect for the role of the reclusive Library Care Taker.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Librarians, movie. If the TV show is as good, I will watch. The original three Librarian movies were also good! Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain were good as usual! Normally I don't like John Larroquette, but he is perfect for the role of the reclusive Library Care Taker.
I'll have to check this out, thanks.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Last night, the wife and I watched Homeland and The Affair.

We've been following the former since since its inception 4 years ago, and the latter, now in its first season.

The Affair has a great story-telling gimmick, in that it is told from the two main characters' different viewpoints, each one taking about half the show. Both versions have overlapping parts that differ in detail from one another based on the character's viewpoint. Sometimes at the end, the two points converge, as they did last night in a 'smack in the face' finish.

The season finales of both are next Sunday.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The new TV series, The Librarians. Also watched another Dr Who. A Christmas special, about a frozen women who is unfrozen every year for one night.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
The english show Black Mirror is available in the united states now. I watched episode one and found it disturbing, but could not turn away.

While I agree completely, I still record and watch some of them, I just fast forward through the fake stuff (as much as possible) as I still enjoy seeing and learning about the items that come into, for example, Rick's shop (I assume the experts who come in to tell us about them are being reasonably honest or they would be sacrificing their professional reputations).

Most of the experts are honest about them because most of the items they appraise come from their own shops, not from the "customers".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80