Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Mid-season finales of The Flash and Agents of SHIELD. Both were good. But the superhero series that keeps surprising and impressing me even more is Supergirl.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A late-run episode of Robert Culp's Trackdown from 1959, “Back to Crawford,” written by Culp himself. If this was Culp’s first filmed script, as I've heard, then he came out of his corner swinging. It resonates with the viewer because it is truly a personal story for his Hoby Gilman character. His sister Norah is receiving death threats, and they are coming from a woman Hoby grew up with! This is the kind of story that most TV series start with on the pilot, and the series doesn’t always live up to that standard. Here, BtC is almost the last episode, a kind of capper for the series.

Best exchange, at the end, when Hoby is packing to leave Crawford:

Norah: What’ll it take to make you give up that badge?
Hoby: They say every man has his price.
Norah: What’s yours?
Hoby (wryly): A nickel. Three cents for the badge and two for me.

"The Crown" episode 7
- All previous huzzahs and hallelujahs still apply
- John Lithgow is outstanding as Winston Churchill (should be up for whatever awards they give you for TV acting). He has Churchill's body movement and stance down to a tea. In this episode, he conveys regret, embarrassment and wounded pride all at once and all through facial expressions - that's talent.
- The machinations of whom gets to be the new queen's private secretary (which, for ignorant Americans like me, is really more a chief of staff role) shows the push and pull of the traditions of the monarchy versus the queen's personal preferences with either outcome having immense challenges. It sounds crazy, but it ain't easy being queen
- I hope the tutor stays as a permanent character - he adds a very cool dimension

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"The Crown" episode 7
- All previous huzzahs and hallelujahs still apply
- John Lithgow is outstanding as Winston Churchill (should be up for whatever awards they give you for TV acting). He has Churchill's body movement and stance down to a tea. In this episode, he conveys regret, embarrassment and wounded pride all at once and all through facial expressions - that's talent.
- The machinations of whom gets to be the new queen's private secretary (which, for ignorant Americans like me, is really more a chief of staff role) shows the push and pull of the traditions of the monarchy versus the queen's personal preferences with either outcome having immense challenges. It sounds crazy, but it ain't easy being queen
- I hope the tutor stays as a permanent character - he adds a very cool dimension

Agreed! Lithgow did an incredible job as Churchill. It was a little hard for me to fully accept him as Churchill as he's an American actor, but I tried to put that little tidbit aside. ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wheeler Dealers: Sunbeam Alpine. They have been teasing with shots of it on the lift, so nice to finally see the show! I have never driven an Alpine, but I have driven several Tigers, fast, but not very good handling, certainly, not as good as the small block Shelby AC Cobra I drove in the 70s. Still I have a soft spot for the diminutive Sunbeam, shame Chrysler bought them out!

Last night, I stopped watching "Timeless" in the middle of an episode - the Watergate break in episode - because it was just that bad. I tried to like this show because each week they time-travel to a pivotal moment in history, but everything is handled so sloppily - the history itself, the character development, the science of time-travel and, even, the story line in present day - that I just can't take it anymore. I'm out.

Edward

Bartender
Rillington Place, the BBC's latest take on the John Christy murders. Tim Roth is outstanding as Christy, as is Samantha Morton as his wife.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"I think that I love Jessie's girl" Rick Springfield - is that what he's doing now (I remember, vaguely, he both acted and sang)?

The same! He's actually done a fair bit of acting over the years, like this, guest roles and some soap opera work. I'd forgotten that he was Australian (also interesting - prior to getting the Devil's role, he'd never heard of Supernatural...).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A-Bombs Over Nevada. The many test done near Las Vegas. Of course, they made a buck off of it, with people from all over the world coming to see a early morning flash and the occasional mushroom cloud! they even had mushroom cloud bikinis and hairdo's. Always sobering to watch those poor soldiers marching towards the mushroom! They have paid a tiny amount to the "atomic soldiers", and to the "down winders!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany