Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What western did I just buy for $15 at the vintage store?

boze

One of the Regulars
This made my week. I own three fedoras but no westerns until Thursday when I found this for $15 at an antique furniture store. I have a really big head (the fedoras are all size 61) so when it fit I had to get it. There is no make listed though, it just says "Royal Quality 5 xxxxx Beaver Quality" and some sort of crest logo with a B in it. Oh and do you have any idea how old it is?

On to the pix..

IMG_20150327_174729.jpg

IMG_20150327_175258.jpg

IMG_20150327_175043.jpg

IMG_20150327_175202.jpg

IMG_20150327_175033.jpg

IMG_20150327_175236.jpg

Last edited:

boze

One of the Regulars
The only sweatband marking is very faint on the side where the band is tied. It says "5 XXXXX Beaver Quality Water Repellent"

hat_band.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Clear plastic liner, so it was likely made after 1955, more likely 60's or later. Is that a capital 'B' in the middle of the liner crest? How many late-vintage manufacturers start with B? Biltmore? I don't think it is Beaver Brand, they would have put a beaver in the crest logo. Need those more familiar with the Biltmore branding to speak up, maybe someone will recognize that crest.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
It looks sort of like some of the Beaver Brand made private label hats but the sweatband marking is not one I've seen in any of their hats.

Curious.

Fold down the sweatband and see if there re labels there.

I wonder if it isn't a "generic" bench-built or refurbished hat. Back when there were hatters shops just about everywhere there were also oodles of hatters' supply businesses to keep those hatters in, well, supplies. And materials. Blocks, flanges, ribbon, hat bodies, sweatbands, liners, et cetera, et cetera.

Seeing how the "X" thing is pretty much meaningless (there are, for instance, "XXX beaver" hats that contain very little if any beaver fur), a hatter could put in liners and sweatbands saying pretty much anything without violating the industry "standard," such as it was, (and is, sadly).

Looks like a decent hat. How's the "hand"? That's how I usually gauge the quality of the fur and finish.

boze

One of the Regulars
I'm not experienced enough to even know what "hand" is much less judge it. I own a Stetson Saxon and two other fedoras. This silverbelly western is stiffer than them and the felt isn't soft to the touch like the Stetson. It's also not plush to look at or touch - like there wouldn't be much to brush if I owned a brush. Not sure if that helps but that's all I got.

Sounds like you figured out the definition from context, boze. There are stiff hats with a nice hand. You know, the surface has a smooth, even feel. And there are soft hats with a not so nice hand.

boze

One of the Regulars
Thanks, gentlemen. Don't worry, I'm wearing the heck out of it. I took it for a walk to the grocery store yesterday and only bought one thing. I'm wearing it around the house just to enjoy myself and I'll likely sport it to my gig tonight.

It feels plenty soft enough to me for being "water repellent". And of course I want it to be a bit stiff since it has a good inch more brim than any of my other hats.

boze

One of the Regulars
Ha! It quickly ended up being a tip hat at the gig. Here's one other pic before I went to the store the other day.

western.jpg

Attachments

• western.jpg
    western.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 137

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner