Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you tell your former self about ordering a custom Aero?

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
Pinnacle +1
You also have Badalassi steerhide right? Any comment on one vs the other would be appreciated.

I went with Badalassi but I still have time to switch leathers (I hope). I’ve heard good things about Badalassi and I don’t care about its squeakiness (squaky leather actually gives me ASMR lol) but I only have one horsehide leather which most people seem to prefer over steer/cowhide that makes me wonder if I should pick HH. I’ve ruled out CXL (maybe for boots some day) and the other HHs offered by Aero but Pinnacle is very new.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
but I only have one horsehide leather which most people seem to prefer over steer/cowhide that makes me wonder if I should pick HH.
I like CXSH better than CXFQHH. I had two jackets of the latter, but it was very stiff. The CXSH, on the other hand, is thick but soft. My Badalassi are slightly stiffer than the CXSH, but also more comfortable than the CXFQHH.
If you want horse, you can also consider Vicenza. Not a bit stiff and very comfortable to wear.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You also have Badalassi steerhide right? Any comment on one vs the other would be appreciated.

I went with Badalassi but I still have time to switch leathers (I hope). I’ve heard good things about Badalassi and I don’t care about its squeakiness (squaky leather actually gives me ASMR lol) but I only have one horsehide leather which most people seem to prefer over steer/cowhide that makes me wonder if I should pick HH. I’ve ruled out CXL (maybe for boots some day) and the other HHs offered by Aero but Pinnacle is very new.
Badalassi is a good choice. Don't over think it.

CXL SH is also good leather but very different than Badalassi. There is almost no break in needed with the Badalassi, drapes well from the start, CXL SH is pliable but still needs a bit of break in. I've had multiple Badalassi jackets and they're all more pliable and wearable from the start, except the black one but it still more pliable than CXL SH. Badalassi = no break in needed, 95% of the time.

Pinnacle HH is also no break in, but mine is thinner than the Badalassi, so I will lean towards Badalassi because it has a bit more heft feel to it. The only advantage Pinnacle HH over the Badalassi is no squeaky sound, but that you are ok with. Plus now Aero wants £50 more for the Pinnacle, that makes Badalassi only £50 more than the Pinnacle, makes Badalassi even more attractive.

Most people would complain how stiff CXL is, so it's nice that there are other options like Badalassi and Pinnacle now.

Below is Badalassi chestnut (second batch, darker brown than the first batch), drapes well from the start, sleeve creases sets within the few handful of wears. Really nice. But there is a top coat, that is where the squeaky noise, but not a big deal, most moto jackets with top coats are like this.
IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
I like CXSH better than CXFQHH. I had two jackets of the latter, but it was very stiff. The CXSH, on the other hand, is thick but soft. My Badalassi are slightly stiffer than the CXSH, but also more comfortable than the CXFQHH.
If you want horse, you can also consider Vicenza. Not a bit stiff and very comfortable to wear.
Badalassi is a good choice. Don't over think it.

CXL SH is also good leather but very different than Badalassi. There is almost no break in needed with the Badalassi, drapes well from the start, CXL SH is pliable but still needs a bit of break in. I've had multiple Badalassi jackets and they're all more pliable and wearable from the start, except the black one but it still more pliable than CXL SH. Badalassi = no break in needed, 95% of the time.

Pinnacle HH is also no break in, but mine is thinner than the Badalassi, so I will lean towards Badalassi because it has a bit more heft feel to it. The only advantage Pinnacle HH over the Badalassi is no squeaky sound, but that you are ok with. Plus now Aero wants £50 more for the Pinnacle, that makes Badalassi only £50 more than the Pinnacle, makes Badalassi even more attractive.

Most people would complain how stiff CXL is, so it's nice that there are other options like Badalassi and Pinnacle now.

Below is Badalassi chestnut (second batch, darker brown than the first batch), drapes well from the start, sleeve creases sets within the few handful of wears. Really nice. But there is a top coat, that is where the squeaky noise, but not a big deal, most moto jackets with top coats are like this.
View attachment 597078 View attachment 597079
View attachment 597080
Many thanks both, I’ll stick with Badalassi.

Plus the colour I went with (chestnut, hopefully as dark as the one above) isn’t really an option with Pinnacle or CXSH I believe.

Vicenza I had kinda ruled out already, it seems it’s very dependent on the specific batch and I’d rather not play russian roulette.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is almost no break in needed with the Badalassi, drapes well from the start, CXL SH is pliable but still needs a bit of break in. I've had multiple Badalassi jackets and they're all more pliable and wearable from the start, except the black one but it still more pliable than CXL SH. Badalassi = no break in needed, 95% of the time.
That's strange. It's the other way round for me.

STPmotor

Familiar Face
1930s Highwayman with a 1950s Highwayman collar?

View attachment 597021

I wish for that to happen too!

Maybe this photo below can help to make the case, left jacket is a 1930s jacket that looks like it has the Aero 50s Hwyman collar, and the right jacket has the Aero 30s Hwyman collar, both are said to be 1930s jacket... So maybe this could be used as an supporting statement. Although I have neither of these vintage beauties, just judging from the photos.

View attachment 597023

A wild guess that it (the oblong shape 1930s shirt collar) can be broken in, similar to how we widen the collar spread with clips, but with our necks. Work those neck side and back muscles! It would be easier if Aero just take custom requests to put that 50s wider collar on the 30s Hwyman, maybe it's a (new) 40's Hwyman?

View attachment 597024

FWIW, I do have a Sheene-Highwayman custom jacket in the queue. The Sheene looks like it has the 50s Highwayman collar, but it also looks like it may have the forward rotated collar like the Cafe Racer. And I ordered the jacket in CXL FQHH too...

Aero does one of the nicest jobs on Highwayman jackets, but they don't have enough versions of it to satisfy all different types of customers. Just look at how many different Perfecto models Schott has, and Aero only has 3 or 4 different Highwaman models. I think they could easily expand the offering to at least 6 to 7 different kinds of Highwaymans with small differences here and there. Highwayman is as important to Aero as Perfecto is to Schott, why let other maker have any opportunities. Just my two cents.
I like your 40's Hwyman idea :) Catchier than a "Trim guy, Thick neck cut"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner