Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What writer would you be?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
oh, it's a toss-up...

If gender were no object I'd be Kerouac or Hemmingway. As for the females, certainly Edna St. Vincent Millay.

arthur

Suspended
Charles Bukowski,that slacker got the world handed to him just because so many other slackers wanted to live through him vicariously.truly a charmed life.And trust me as i sit here at 1:00PM on my 3rd bourbon I now that which I speak.

Buddy

New in Town
Hands down, Raymond Chandler. I could even see myself sitting in Musso & Frank's, with behind the bar privileges, fixing my own drinks.

If gender was fluid, perhaps Dorothy Parker. Depends on how depressed I'd want to be. :rolleyes:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I'd have to be an "amalgam" or "love child" of (Mr) yeh its a mans name too, Evelyn Waugh and Nancy Mitfod, they moved in the same upper class circles in pre-war Mayfair ( posh London neighbourhood) Evelyn Waughs "Anthony Blanche" (from Brideshead) and Nancy Mitfords Cecil Montdore( from "love in a cold climate", and "the pursuit of love") are both based on the real life charecter of Anthony Blanche, a pre-war dandy about town.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
Dorothy Parker

Speaking of Dorothy Parker, as a few of you were-- This summer, I had the pleasure of staying at the Algonquin Hotel for a few weeks while I was on a research trip in Manhattan. It was a delight to be holed up in one of their classic rooms with my laptop (I know, not a classic typerwriter, but a nice 21st-century facsimile...). It was great to see the hotel cat when I came and went. It was a delight to have a drink in the lounge, where the old New Yorker magazine crowd used to congregate.

And I kept my copy of The Portable Dorothy Parker by the bedside for nighttime reading the whole time.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
F. Scott Fitzgerald, for our shared self-destructive relationships with unbalanced women, consuming desire to be adored, and mutilated hairlines.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Only writer I thought I could make a career from being compared to was Philip K. Dick. Old school sci-fi is quite definately my favourite thing to read after nutrition information on chocolate raisins. Even the titles and first edition cover illustrations make it worth picking them up. "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" being one of my favourite phrases/titles.

Yes I know he's a little later than we normally count on here, but he started in the 50s, was born in the 20s and when it's set in the future who cares?lol

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Politically and spiritually (or lack thereof) it would be Kropotkin, but with the fervor of Ms. Goldman.

Beyond that, I'd like to characterize myself as the worst of the worst from Miller and Bukowski with the refinement of Camus and the outlook of Kafka.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
arthur said:
Charles Bukowski,that slacker got the world handed to him just because so many other slackers wanted to live through him vicariously.truly a charmed life.And trust me as i sit here at 1:00PM on my 3rd bourbon I now that which I speak.

Happened upon a 1st edition of his in a second hand store on a rather rainy day in Jim Thorpe (lovely retro town) just a month ago. Complete steal. 20 bucks.

"there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too clever, I only let him out
at night sometimes
when everybody's asleep.
I say, I know that you're there,
so don't be
sad.
then I put him back,
but he's singing a little
in there, I haven't quite let him
die
and we sleep together like
that
with our
secret pact
and it's nice enough to
make a man
weep, but I don't
weep, do
you?"

For a grumpy old pig of a man, he had something profoundly human (or apparently avian) in that saggy old chest.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Since reading about him in the book 'Dharma Bums', by Jack Kerouac (my favorite book) I've felt a certain kinship to the Beat poet Gary Snyder. Perhaps a combination of Kerouac and Snyder would be my ideal choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo