Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whatever happened to "coat and tie required"?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Washington, D.C.

About 5 years ago, I was a luncheon guest at a private club in Washington, D.C. Everyone in the dining room was in a dark suit, including the women. Not a blazer or sport jacket in sight, much less "business casual". Our host went apoplectic when my boss's cell phone rang. He said he could lose his membership for such an infraction. Sweet.

A long time ago, either 1964 or '65, our group of National FFA Officers was denied admission to a public restaurant in New York. We were attired in black slacks, black shoes, white shirt with ties, and our very new blue corduroy FFA jackets. We eventually got in under the "uniform" exemption after our National Advisor had a chat with the manager.

I can't think of a place in Cheyenne that would keep you out regardless of what you are wearing. Too bad.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Inusuit said:
About 5 years ago, I was a luncheon guest at a private club in Washington, D.C. .... Our host went apoplectic when my boss's cell phone rang. He said he could lose his membership for such an infraction.

Yes, the Jonathan Club has the same rule: no cell phone calls or rings inside the club, ever. It's very strictly enforced.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Vibrate is fine if it occurs in one's pocket. In the dining rooms and bar, exposed cell phones (i.e., on a table or countertop) are a no-no.

If your phone vibrates in your pocket and it's important is it acceptable to go outside to answer it?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
"Coat and tie...

...required" was replaced by "your money still desired."

Dress codes were in place to keep a certain clientèle out and a certain clientèle in. When that didn't work anymore, away it went.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Try to find...

LizzieMaine said:
Well, even the most formal men's hat is not worn indoors, fine club or not. That's why checkrooms were invented.

...a cloak room anymore. Those few that remain are unattended, and you take your chances.

The only attended one I've seen in years is in a small, old restaurant in Dayton, OH. The place is very tight, with booths as seating, and I think they've kept an cloakroom because there just isn't any room to take your coat to the table. The hostess takes care of it -- kind of a neat and efficient system.

The newer places I see don't even have a small closet.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Part of it...

Feraud said:
There are quite a few restaurants in NYC that have decent coatrooms.
I've not lost a hat yet.

...probably is that southern Va is warm enough to make cloakrooms generally unnecessary. There aren't many at all, attended or unattended.

I've left my hat in the few unattended rooms there are, but I generally don't like it.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember places that still had hat and coat checks/rooms when I was a kid.

My folks were not fancy people, and my dad was a blue collar journeyman, but we often dined out in nice places and always dressed up for the occasion.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Paisley said:
The only problem is that it varies from place to place and with socioeconomic levels. If you want to fit in, the best thing to do is ask the host or restaurant manager what most people wear.

Not really worried about fitting in. If in doubt, I'll go overdressed. Just thought a dress code primer would make for an interesting read.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I wonder what would the dress code (if any) be if the Fedora Lounge was more than just a website but an actual bar?

Smart casual as a minimum for men, no long pants for women, dresses for them. Men preferrably in suits or in clothes that would pass for a suit. Ties optional but preferred, no loud, flashy pieces of jewellery (earrings, big chains & necklaces, bracelets, etc).

And certainly no JEANS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart