Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

Adelaidey said:
I think we should start a Recipe Box... anyone else up for it? I love recipes!

Well, I'd certainly be willing to add some, as soon as I can infiltrate my grandmother's kitchen and do a "midnight requisition" on the old family cookbooks...

Hmmm, I think an all-night History Channel session next time I overnight there'd be perfect noise-cover to avoid being caught...

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
This past weekend we had a big pot of pinto beans with hamhocks added onions and fried cornbread.
Sunday my hubby grilled burgers and hot dogs.I made coleslaw and had my first ice cold beer since last year.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Partaking of the seasonal produce too... polenta with fresh Morel mushrooms, sauteed fiddlehead ferns, english green peas & baby carrots... mmm.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Mmmmmm, soup.

I make the best Muwligatany soup ever, that's my best dish! I also know a extremely simple potato soup, very cheap and yummy! And tomato soup made from fresh tomatoes... Mmmmm. I have to host a soup party soon, I think!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We just had lutefisk the other day (my first time with the stuff as I never had it the last time I was living here) which was actually not bad at all. Today we had Trondersodd, a type of meat soup/thin stew with meatballs, meat, potatoes, carrots and swede in it, served with flatbr??d.

All probably very strange to most here at FL lol

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
We just had lutefisk the other day (my first time with the stuff as I never had it the last time I was living here) which was actually not bad at all. Today we had Trondersodd, a type of meat soup/thin stew with meatballs, meat, potatoes, carrots and swede in it, served with flatbr??d.

Wow. Lutefisk. My Grandmother used to try to make us eat it on holidays. I remember it didn't taste badly, but the smell wasn't my favorite. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You're right it has a bit of a pong to it, but in truth it really has a very delicate flavour. The thing which makes it nice are all the bits and pieces that you serve it with, bacon, mushy peas, mustard and potatoes, etc. I'm looking forward to it again.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Smithy said:

Wow, you are a brave man. I have never touched lutefisk, and I am a native! What's next? Smalahove? (Burned sheeps head.)

Tr??ndersodd is nice, though. Do you like the Norwegian browncheese?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
Wow, you are a brave man. I have never touched lutefisk, and I am a native! What's next? Smalahove? (Burned sheeps head.)

Trøndersodd is nice, though. Do you like the Norwegian browncheese?

Love the stuff, got a taste for it last time I was here.

I've eaten stranger than lutefisk actually here - Gammalsalta sei (Coalfish which has been allowed to bleed and sit in very salty water for a couple of years and then boiled) and torsketunger (cod tongues)!

That smalahove is a Voss speciality right?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Cabbagerolls!

Yum, that's what I'm having tonight. Or as my family calls it, halupki or pigs in the blanket - made from my great-grandmothers recipe that she brought with her on the boat to the U.S. in 1912. Is that a vintage enough recipe? lol

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Maybe I'm getting :eek:fftopic: here but, hey, it's about food, right?;)

Smithy said:
That smalahove is a Voss speciality right?
That's right, Voss and Bergen and other parts of the west. Here we also eat pinnekjoett, "stickmeat", for Christmas. That is dried, salted and often also smoked lamb, that you water out and steam. You should try it, it's delicious! I can also recommend the faarikaal, a kind of stew made on lamb and cabbage. (Hence the name, which means "mutton-in-cabbage".)

Other than that, I just have to say that we Norwegians do a lot of strange things to fish, not all of them explainable or recommendable!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tonight...

For dinner it's cheesy scrambled eggs. With cilantro from the herb garden.

Note that I don't actually like eggs...but if you add enough cheese, I can cope.

But in the oven is a Chile Relleno casserole...but thats for work tomorrow. Cinco de Mayo work lunch potluck.

And the eggs and cheese were leftover from that.

oh..and Rose wine. Of course, have no clue if Rose and eggs go...and don't care, it's been a bad day.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Tonight I'm thinking angel hair pasta with the leftover roasted peppers, mushrooms, garlic and chicken breast served in a cream sauce.
I'll serve it with either a green salad, or slices of fresh cantalope.

Tomorrow will be beans and ham again. (It turned out very well last time, by the way. I think the overnight soak for the beans really helps eliminate the, er, possible after-effects :eek: )

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ugh! It's such a dreary dark day here. I need comfort food.
Bratwurst, Saurkraut, and German fried potatoes with onion.
Good, solid, hot comfort food.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Let me guess, old family recipe?

You got it. I'm actually adding it to the vintage recipes now.

My Dad is full German. His mother's side seems to have been here since sometime in the 1800s. His father's got here just before WW I. There are a lot of small towns in Kansas made up primarily of German immigrants. That's where my family was until they moved west into Colorado.

This is one of the only family recipe's I have from that side. My grandparent's died when I was young, and Grandma didn't really use recipes anyway, she just cooked. Kinda like I do, so most of the info died with her. Maybe, my aunts know some of it. I'll have to ask.

Another one I have is Saurkraut soup. I know, it sounds :eek:
It's actually quite good.:)

Joie DeVive said:
Another one I have is Saurkraut soup. I know, it sounds :eek:
It's actually quite good.:)

Umm. Let's just say, when my relatives make kraut, I end up unplugging the microwave and taking it and some TV-dinners out into the shop with me. Theirs is about up there with kimchi for fragrance...

(Mind you, this from a guy who likes French fries with his vinegar, and is known to do shots of straight lime juice!:eek: lol )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters