Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Joie, now you're making me hungry--and I just finished a late lunch! [bad]

lol Sorry about that!

At least there wasn't a picture...
I have a friend who will post pictures of her cakes on her blog.
She leadeth me into temptation!!! ;)

Dinner turned out quite well. If I'd had fresh parmesan cheese in the house it would have been near perfect..

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Suggestion: Am I the only one here that thinks we could use a new room for "The Kitchen" or "Members' Recipe Box" or something like that?

What do y'all think?

I think it's a great idea!
I'd use it.

Of course I have a habit of cooking without recipes. So, actual measurements from me would be rare...

Earp

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
Oooh!
Yummy!! I love to cook!

I just made a 10 pound ham for Easter. Any good ideas for the leftovers?? We'll be eating it for a while.....

I wish I had noticed this topic earlier. We love to cook extra large turkey or ham on the holidays just so we see can how many meals we can get out of the leftovers. Very frugal and 1940's I would think (if not historically as well). With turkey (not counting sandwiches) we start with homemade turkey pot pie, then comes turkey and gravy on mashed potatos or thick slices of toasted homemade bread, and finally turkey soup made from the frame. It's usually close to gone by then -- we have a big family. :)

With ham the grilled ham and cheese sandwiches start the next day, then the hambone with some of the meat still on it is used to make the classic and very traditional "Senate Bean Soup" which we find so delicious. Next is a creamy ham and cheese casserole from a recipe of my mother's from when I was a kid. Grilled ham & eggs or ham & cheese omelets for breakfasts along the way usually finish things up nicely!

If we had a place at the lounge for recipes I'd post. I think you would be pleased with that Ham and Cheese Cassarole.

.... Oh my gosh!! I'm hungry! lol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Thanks for the ideas Earp!

I've now done the grilled ham and cheese sandwitches with mozzerella cheese.
I also made mac-n-cheese with ham. Mom used to make it with Spam and Kraft Dinner. I think all homemade comes out better. (With apologies to my Mom...)

Next will be beans with ham, and I'll probably end it out with split pea soup with the last bits and the boiled bone.

Mmmmm! Off to make dinner!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Tonight it's beans 'n' ham from scratch (which has been cooking all day),
green salad and chocolate cupcakes.

Oops! Time to get those out of the oven!!!!!!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Kugelis with sour cream, meat dumplings, cold beet soup, and apricot-creme torte/pie...

Traditional Lithuanian meal (I spared you all the long odd names) ... yummy and filling... just the thing to fill you up after a long day at Armor splitting cattle carcasses! lol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Here we go again... :rolleyes: :D

I'll have to remember, next time I cook, to write-up an after-action review on it, with pics... (where's the 'evil' emoticon?)

I'll take that as a compliment!! :D

And Adelaidey, that sounds marvelous! If we ever get a "recipe box" up here I'd love to see your stuff in it!!!

Rafter

Suspended
Did some "first of the season" outdoor grilling tonight-
Orange, Walnut, Gorgonzola and Mixed Greens Salad w. a Citrus Vinaigrette
Grilled Salmon Steak w. a glass of Pinot Gris
Farfale (Bow-tie Pasta) in Marinara
Stir Fried Zucchini & Carrots
Chocolate Cream Pie
Iced Coffee

doghouse

One of the Regulars
I'm glad that other like saffron rice as much as I do. Rosie, do you buy prepackaged or do you make it yourself?

We've been grilling quite a bit over the past two weeks. I found a GREAT large charcoal grill/smoker to replace my $19.99 Walmart grill. We have had steaks, pork chops, ribs, hamburgers, hot links, corn, zucchini (if you haven't tried grilling it you MUST!).. the list goes on and on..

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
And Adelaidey, that sounds marvelous! If we ever get a "recipe box" up here I'd love to see your stuff in it!!!

Ooh, I'd be happy to share some Lithuanian love with you all! Very simple, but some of my favorite "happy food" nonetheless. I think we should start a Recipe Box... anyone else up for it? I love recipes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick