Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Umm. Let's just say, when my relatives make kraut, I end up unplugging the microwave and taking it and some TV-dinners out into the shop with me. Theirs is about up there with kimchi for fragrance...

I can see how it would be an acquired taste. lol
Ah well, to each their own.

One of the problems many have with Saurkraut is that they don't cook it long enough. It needs to simmer, with water added, for a long time. It takes a lot of the bite out.

This is an all day soup, with a lot of water added, as well as pork rib meat, onion, tomatoes, and potatoes. I can't remember the rest. I haven't actually attempted it yet. Mom can keep that one for now...

Kimberly

Practically Family
Speaking of krout, I have a great recipe I make that requires a semi kraut you make yourself. I simmer cabbage with vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and a little ketchup. It cooks for 2 hours and then I fry up some kielbasa and pour that and the cabbage mixture all over bow tie pasta and mix it up.

Whenever I make it for events people ask me how it's made. It isn't as sour as kraut, but still has that kick I like so much.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Tonight it was stirfry.

A thin cut of steak with zucchini, asparagus and sweet onion, and a soy/garlic sauce. Served, of course, with white rice. :)

I had to run out for more zucchini though! When I went to start cooking I found mine had gone bad!:(

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ok, it's easy-peasy..

Now having a wok is a great help. I hear that you can do it in a frying pan, but haven't actually tried it. Woks can be found for about $10 in import stores like World Market.

In serving for 2, you need:

About 2 qts veggies.
You can use most anything that sounds good together. Tonight I used 2 medium (store size) zucchini, half a sweet onion and 6 asparagus spears.
I measure it out in a mixing bowl, and you just want to be in the ballpark. It doesn't need to be exact. Chop into bite size pieces.

1-2 servings of meat
In this case it was 1/3 lb of thinly sliced steak. Remember a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. So one big chicken breast can do it, if you want. Chop into bite size pieces.

Enough oil to coat the bottom of the wok (2-3T)

And the sauce: 1/2 c water, 1 T corn starch, 2 T soy sauce (or you can substitute Teriyaki) and I-2 cloves garlic. SET ASIDE

Heat the oil in the wok on medium to high medium heat. Add the meat, turn and cook until pretty well done. This takes about 10 minutes. Then add the veggies, toughest first. For example, asparagus before zucchini and onion. Stir and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the veggies are getting tender. To tell, stab them with a fork. When they are tender, stir the sauce (the corn starch likes to glob) and add it to the wok. Stir and cook another 5 minutes and you're done!

Serve with rice. To make that, read the package!! lol

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy!!:essen: I'm gonna try it!
I had to look up what a wok was...:eek:lol Someday I will master this thing called cooking...:D

Thank you!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
D'oh!

Forgot one thing!!

You've got to stir it as it cooks, hence, it being, a stir-fry.

I actually use a long handled meat fork while the meat is cooking, and switch to a long handled spoon when I add the veggies....

Sorry for the omission!
I'll edit to fix it..

Rafter

Suspended
I just had lunch. Oh well it's back to work, but I'm already starving.
Just can't wait for dinner!!

Tonight's Menu~
Aberdeen Rolls
Green Tomato & Apple Chutney
Steak in Whisky Sauce
Clooty (Dumplings)
Apple & Bramble Crumble

and to wash it all down a glass of .....
"Atholl Brose" (Scotch whisky, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 3 tablespoons of oatmeal)
~the oatmeal is prepared by putting it into a bowl and mixing it with cold water until the consistency is that of a thick paste. Leave for half an hour and then put through a strainer, pressing down with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Throw away the oatmeal which is left in the strainer and use the creamy liquor from the oatmeal for the brose.
Sounds kinda wicked, but it's mighty good!
atholb_6.jpg

Shimmy Sally

I'll be right over!

Rafter said:
I just had lunch. Oh well it's back to work, but I'm already starving.
Just can't wait for dinner!!

Tonight's Menu~
Aberdeen Rolls
Green Tomato & Apple Chutney
Steak in Whisky Sauce
Clooty (Dumplings)
Apple & Bramble Crumble

and to wash it all down a glass of .....
"Atholl Brose" (Scotch whisky, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 3 tablespoons of oatmeal)
~the oatmeal is prepared by putting it into a bowl and mixing it with cold water until the consistency is that of a thick paste. Leave for half an hour and then put through a strainer, pressing down with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Throw away the oatmeal which is left in the strainer and use the creamy liquor from the oatmeal for the brose.
Sounds kinda wicked, but it's mighty good!
atholb_6.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Shimmy Sally said:
I'll be right over!

No kidding!
Be careful, or we'll all show up for dinner! :)

Rafter, would you be willing to give up the steak in whiskey sauce recipe (or any of the others for that matter!) if I said please??

Please!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Tonight - Hamburger Pinwheels. The recipe is from a vintage Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50s. You make biscuit dough - roll it out flat, spread a hamburger mixture over top, then roll it up and slice it. It's like a jelly roll made with biscuit and beef and very tasty. Served with gravy on top and homemade oven fries (cooked with olive oil, dill, onion, seasoning salt and a little red pepper).

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I cook for my family (and the ladies) every week. Here are some pictures:

Pork chops with grape/nutmeg/onion sauce.

tommyporkchopwq7.jpg

Poached salmon with shallots/Pepper/Salt/Red wine with a Shrimp quiche and glass of wine

tommysfishpk3.jpg

tommyfish2vb2.jpg

Honey-Pineapple sherbet with cranberries, mint, and whipped cream.

tommyspineapplebq6.jpg

tommyspineapple2ac1.jpg

Thank God for recipes! :)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Okay totally had to google quorn.

I love to cook. My ex and I used to cook all the time. Those days are long gone. Lately, I haven't been eating a lot home cooked meals. Mostly salads. I go in phases I guess. I will be making my famous Cheese Enchiladas for tomorrow night.

Rafter

Suspended
Joie DeVive said:
Rafter, would you be willing to give up the steak in whiskey sauce recipe (or any of the others for that matter!) if I said please??
Please!!

Here's the recipe you requested.....
"Steak In Wiskey Sauce"

Ingredients:
2 Sirloin Steaks
1 oz Butter
1 small finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
1 oz mushrooms (finely chopped)
3 tablespoons of Irish whisky

Season the steaks with a "little" salt and pepper.
Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the steaks until cooked through(both sides), according to personal taste. Set aside and keep warm.

Fry the onion and mushrooms in the steak juice for about 3-4 minutes.
Reduce heat SLIGHTLY and add the whisky and worcestershire sauce
Return the steaks to the heat and bring the sauce to the boil.
Serve hot with a potato dish (boiled new potatoes would be customary)!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran