Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Thora Zine said:
Oooo! Share the recipe for that sorbet! and ps, I love those wine glasses, repro or vintage?

The wine glasses are repro from India. I bought them for Christmas in 2004. :)

Here's the recipe for the sherbet:

2 (8 ounce) cans unsweetened crushed pineapple
1/2 cup honey
2 (8 ounce) containers plain nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh raspberries and mint

I used cranberries rather than raspberries.

Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine honey and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil, stirring several times. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in yogurt, vanilla and pineapple. Pour into a 9-in. square freezer-proof dish.

Cover and freeze for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes until slushy. Transfer to a mixing bowl; beat for 1-2 minutes. Return to pan; cover and freeze until firm. Remove from the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving. Garnish with raspberries and mint if desired.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Tommy ..

This is my own recipe combining a Ginger Syrup that I use for assorted purposes (cocktails, tea, over fruit, etc) and Buttermilk ..

2 cups well-shaken Buttermilk
1 cup Ginger Syrup (see below)
Candied Ginger or Candied Orange Peel and a fried Basil Leaf for Garni

Ginger Syrup
3 cups Water
2 cup Sugar
1 stalk Lemongrass, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
4 ounces fresh Ginger, smashed, sliced, or chopped
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 Vanilla bean (or 1/2 tsp. of Pure Vanilla, added AFTER the syrup cools)

Combine water and sugar in medium-size saucepan; stir until sugar dissolves. Add lemongrass, ginger, lemon juice and vanilla bean. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until reduced by 1/3rd. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep overnight. Strain through chinois or fine mesh strainer.

For the sherbet just mix the Buttermilk and syrup mixture and prepare like you would your other sherbet recipes.

If you like a stronger Ginger flavor, or sweeter reduce the syrup by 1/2 instead of 1/3.

Enjoy!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Tonight, Beef Lindstroem. It's a "beef" made of hamburger meat, boiled potatoes, picled cucumbers, picled red beets and some some green berry-like things I don't know the english name for. (Kapers.) Served with fried potatoes and gravy, and my own bean salad. Yoummi!

This is a very vintage dish as well, It is named after it's "inventor" Adolf Henrik Lindstroem, a happy drunkard of a chef that was part of all the big, tough and important Norwegian polar expeditions with Nansen, Amundsen and Sverdrup in the late 1800s-early 1900s. He feed the crew so well with his "beef" and other things during the "Fram" ships two year long freeze-in in the polar sea, that they all got to fat and the ships doctor had to order exercise.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The pantry is looking quite desolate until Thursday (payday). But I found a can of beans and some cheese and here's what I'm making:

White Bean and Cheese Burritos Enchilada Style

The tortillas I made from scratch. Recipe courtesy Robert Rodriguez from the Sin City DVD. His recipe is actually Breakfast Tacos which I've made and are delicious! FYI. :D

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Soup!

I spent today boiling ham bones to make stock. So dinner tonight will be split pea soup with ham.

I should have enough stock left to make split pea soup again, and maybe potato and ham soup too!! Yea!
I better go find some containers so I can freeze it.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Today I'm being a bit of a show-off. ;)

I experimented a little and made pork chops stuffed with bread crumbs, fresh cherries, carmelized onion, garlic and thyme. Glazed them with basalmic vinegar and served it with steamed asparagus.

Mmmmm!

Mildred

New in Town
Sunday dinners

I cook all week for the famiy but save Sunday night for my special dinners. I bring out a roast or a whole chicken. I serve a gravy, mashed spuds, peas and carrots. Homemade bread and pie. I start with a hot soup like split pea. It has become a family tradition and the whole family looks forward to it all week.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
Today I'm being a bit of a show-off. ;)

I experimented a little and made pork chops stuffed with bread crumbs, fresh cherries, carmelized onion, garlic and thyme. Glazed them with basalmic vinegar and served it with steamed asparagus.

Mmmmm!

That sounds absolutely delish Joie:essen:

Tonight's menu here was Paprika Chicken stew, with whole wheat soda bread and veggies, I'm told it was really tasty, but new recipes like this take me about twice as long to cook, so by the time I was done I was not interested in the food:( lol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Not if you're cooking it for two hours!:eek: lol

Hopefully next time I'll be fast enough to actually enjoy the finished resultlol

My dear young lady, didn't anyone teach you about premixing your ingredients in Ziplocs where possible? (That way it's just do your prep, do what ya gotta with your meats and other perishables, dump in your premixed seasonings or liquids--they're mixed by you, thus still your own work--and good-to-go...):D

It's all in the planning...lol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I did do my prep, I was taught very well in Home Ec. class!lol
Unfortunately two hyper-active puppies and a brand new recipe don't mix well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner