Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Roast chicken, black beans and rice, steamed broccoli, tomato juice and a cup of tea after.

Didn't take long to make. I had to go out to the hardware store about half past four. So before I left I put the rice, chicken stock, beans, poultry seasoning and butter in the rice cooker and plugged it in. Bought a roast chicken breast at the grocery store next door to the hardware store, came home, steamed the broccoli opened the juice and voila, instant dinner.

Nice - the movie theater version of "going native." I had to Google "Mr. Pibbs," was afraid there was a booze I hadn't heard of, relaxed when I saw it was only a soft drink and, then, wanted to try it but it's not available in this region according to Wikipedia.
Funny, I am surprised that in this day and age you cannot get a Mr. Pibb everywhere in the U.S.
:D

Mr Pibb was Coke's response to Dr Pepper, which is why you often see it distributed by the same bottlers who handle Pepsi, although Dr Pepper is not a Pepsi product.

Thank you. Is it not distributed nationally because the bottlers don't want to compete with Dr Pepper - or is there something else going on as it's odd to think that Coke wouldn't want to compete nationally with Pepper?

Last edited:

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Thank you. Is it not distributed nationally because the bottlers don't want to compete with Dr Pepper - or is there something else going on as it's odd to think that Coke wouldn't want to compete nationally with Pepper?
The bottlers, being separate business entities with (typically) no investment from the syrup manufacturers, make decisions as to what to push to the stores based on what is and is not profitable. Likewise, the stores decide what they can sell to consumers, and consumers decide what they will buy.

I tried Mr Pibb back when I was in USAF basic training because Coke had the national contract for fountain drinks. IMO, it's an inferior imitation of Dr Pepper. That it is not available everywhere is an example of how our economic system should work, contrary to what the totalitarians in Atlanta want! :) (Yes. Coke was a client. No. I am not enamored with them as an organiation. Yes. I drink some of their products.)

Spent the day driving around the Ozarks hitting flea markets and eating at small town cafes and diners. Around dinner time we saw the Twin Bridges Bar and Grill on the North Fork of the White River open (apparently) and we were a bit surprised as it was into the off-season. We thought maybe they wanted to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather (into the upper 70s). A beer and a small bite of something sounded good so we stopped. As we walked in we noticed what appeared to be a pot-luck dinner set up and a bearded man in overalls commanding us to come in and take part in their annual Thanksgiving dinner (not sure if this was for the public or just friends, family and co-workers). He was insistent so we joined in. What a feed! Thanks Don and the folks at Twin Bridges! (We loaded up the tip jar on our way out)

30897111272_a21f0f1948_o.jpg

30897110212_e57df33714_o.jpg

31039032985_4e1ae18c78_o.jpg

31039033395_4968ba3eba_o.jpg

30925171811_f49795da43_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy