Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Made a pan of home made lasagna tonight. It was really good but for meat, cheese, spinach and sauce I must have spent $20.

I don't usually think in those terms but the lasagna came about because the store had lasagna noodles on sale. So I saved 50 cents on a box of noodles and it cost me $20 ha ha.

Made a pan of home made lasagna tonight. It was really good but for meat, cheese, spinach and sauce I must have spent $20.

I don't usually think in those terms but the lasagna came about because the store had lasagna noodles on sale. So I saved 50 cents on a box of noodles and it cost me $20 ha ha.

My girlfriend has been baking a lot recently and despite the "it's cheaper to make it yourself" assumption, by the time you add up the ingredients, amortize the different baking utensils and appliances (there are a lot of them), the parchment paper and similar things, the little decorative this or that, the tin or other thing to wrap it in (if it's a gift) - you will have more understanding for why items seem so expensive in bakeries.

She does it because she enjoys it, which is what drives the activity, but I very much doubt we save any money making cakes, pies, etc., ourselves.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I must admit I have almost $10 worth of cheese etc left over so the cost is not as much as I said. I plan on making an extra pan and freezing it.

Home cooking and baking might or might not save money but even if it doesn't it is a cheap hobby with many delicious and healthful benefits.

My girlfriend has been baking a lot recently and despite the "it's cheaper to make it yourself" assumption, by the time you add up the ingredients, amortize the different baking utensils and appliances (there are a lot of them), the parchment paper and similar things, the little decorative this or that, the tin or other thing to wrap it in (if it's a gift) - you will have more understanding for why items seem so expensive in bakeries.

She does it because she enjoys it, which is what drives the activity, but I very much doubt we save any money making cakes, pies, etc., ourselves.

I must admit I have almost $10 worth of cheese etc left over so the cost is not as much as I said. I plan on making an extra pan and freezing it.

Home cooking and baking might or might not save money but even if it doesn't it is a cheap hobby with many delicious and healthful benefits.

If you cook regularly, though, it's not so bad. After 30+ years of keeping the larder stocked, picking up equipment, and the coupla dozen cookbooks in my collection, putting something together on the cheap isn't so daunting. 10:1 I already have what I need (smoked sea salt? No problem! Whole nutmeg for grating? Got it.). I guess that's the "secret."

Little burgers on Hawaiian rolls, jalapeño flavored potato chips, and cream ale from Sun King Brewery.

And chocolate cake, because my oldest son turned 12.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday little dh66 (dh04?). Any cake left?

Last night was homemade cream of broccoli soup. Finished off that jalapeno bread by making croutons for the soup (that's how you go cheap!).

If you cook regularly, though, it's not so bad. After 30+ years of keeping the larder stocked, picking up equipment, and the coupla dozen cookbooks in my collection, putting something together on the cheap isn't so daunting. 10:1 I already have what I need (smoked sea salt? No problem! Whole nutmeg for grating? Got it.). I guess that's the "secret."....

I think you're spot on and and allude to a key point also touched on my Stanley Doble - what is the purpose / intent of home cooking.

If it is to save money and is structured that way, I have no doubt it is cheaper than eating out or buying prepared foods. One could acquire the basic utensils and appliances, be focused on the cost of each ingredient, manage inventory carefully and cook for value and the budget benefits would follow.

However, if you cook and bake as my girlfriend does, which is more from the hobby aspect - to try new things, to try adventurous things, to have fun - which entails a lot of ingredients, utensils, appliances and other things (several shelves of cookbooks and quirky "one-off" things that seem to exist for only one recipe) that one might not need for basic cooking, then it is not really a budget saver. However, it is a pretty reasonable hobby from a cost perspective as you do eat what gets cooked / baked and, once bought, most of the appliances, etc., do get used for other things and last a long time.

I think you're spot on and and allude to a key point also touched on my Stanley Doble - what is the purpose / intent of home cooking.

If it is to save money and is structured that way, I have no doubt it is cheaper than eating out or buying prepared foods. One could acquire the basic utensils and appliances, be focused on the cost of each ingredient, manage inventory carefully and cook for value and the budget benefits would follow.

However, if you cook and bake as my girlfriend does, which is more from the hobby aspect - to try new things, to try adventurous things, to have fun - which entails a lot of ingredients, utensils, appliances and other things (several shelves of cookbooks and quirky "one-off" things that seem to exist for only one recipe) that one might not need for basic cooking, then it is not really a budget saver. However, it is a pretty reasonable hobby from a cost perspective as you do eat what gets cooked / baked and, once bought, most of the appliances, etc., do get used for other things and last a long time.

Well, for me it's a hobby and a passion, as well as a necessity. I thoroughly enjoy the creative aspect, the procedure, and all that goes with it. Some good music, some nice wine, and working in the kitchen is therapeutic and rewarding.

When we were first dating, one of my (now) wife's aunts asked me, "Why do you like to cook?"

My answer? "I like to eat!"

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner