Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Yeah, but the price of shrimp these days. Oy!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thankfully I'm close enough to the Gulf Coast that fresh shrimp can be had without breaking the bank. I think the last batch I bought I gave a little shy of $8 a pound for. Seeing as hamburger is routinely upward of $5 a pound, I don't consider that too bad an investment for a fine meal.

Speaking of hamburger, I pulled some out of the freezer to put into a jar of spaghetti sauce for this evening. Probably serve it over macaroni. The smaller kids make less of a mess with it like that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Zucchini, grape tomatoes, and turkey sausage with garlic and thyme sprinkled with cheese and baked in the oven until the veggies are still crisp.

Healthy AND yummy!

Thankfully I'm close enough to the Gulf Coast that fresh shrimp can be had without breaking the bank. I think the last batch I bought I gave a little shy of $8 a pound for. Seeing as hamburger is routinely upward of $5 a pound, I don't consider that too bad an investment for a fine meal.

Speaking of hamburger, I pulled some out of the freezer to put into a jar of spaghetti sauce for this evening. Probably serve it over macaroni. The smaller kids make less of a mess with it like that.

Spaghetti for me as well with ground beef and hot Italian sausage. I also used a couple jars of Classico sauce which is the only one I've been able to find w/o added sugars or unidentifiable/unpronouncable ingredients. I typically "doctor" it up so much my uneducated palate believes it's homemade.

Spaghetti for me as well with ground beef and hot Italian sausage. I also used a couple jars of Classico sauce which is the only one I've been able to find w/o added sugars or unidentifiable/unpronouncable ingredients. I typically "doctor" it up so much my uneducated palate believes it's homemade.
I prefer to make my own, but I'm no spaghetti sauce snob. I'll happily eat pretty much any of it. I usually keep a couple of jars of whatever is on sale in case I need a quick easy meal. And after a trip to the river with the kids earlier today, that is exactly what I needed.

Not sure how or when our tradition began but we celebrate Sunday nights with curry for dinner. My wife and I are both decidedly Anglo in heritage and practice but do love curry. I discovered a curry shop not far from our home. It does take-out only, the prices are very very reasonable and the quantities large. We order two dishes and naan. I pick it up and my wife cooks the basmati rice while awaiting. This is now our new Sunday tradition as the food is cheap and waaaay better than mine. I always wanted an establishment that knows my name but thought it would more likely be a bar/tavern NOT a curry house. Tonight we had Bagrain Bartha (eggplant) and Chicken Saag (a pureed spinach based sauce)

I prefer to make my own, but I'm no spaghetti sauce snob. I'll happily eat pretty much any of it. I usually keep a couple of jars of whatever is on sale in case I need a quick easy meal. And after a trip to the river with the kids earlier today, that is exactly what I needed.

Same here. I have Roma's from last years crop in the freezer but Sunday's are busy for us and I'm sometimes into quick and easy.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
There are several ways to make Beef Wellington and some of them are indeed complicated. However, if you do a google search for 'individual beef wellington' you'll find that if you use frozen puff pastry from the grocery and some jarred or canned ingredients, it isn't bad at al. And asparagus is a snap to cook. Top it with aioli made by combining a cup of Best Foods (Hellman's) mayonnaise, 1 Tbs dijon mustard and a crushed clove of garlic and you're home free. Good food can be done easily. Just don't try to make anything out of either of Thomas Keller's first two books. They're wonderful to look at but the recipes? Not in this lifetime! Ad Hoc at Home is a whole different story. That one I love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot