Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on your dresser?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have depression hobnail glass vanity items, an Art Deco handkerchief box, an occupied Japan figurine, some Victorian books, and some wacky dolls I found inside an antique steamer trunk.

dresser1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

It's basically vintage clutter. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hobnail glass is wonderful! I used to have a lamp with a hobnail base when I was little, and I don't think I've ever gotten over breaking it.

I'm ashamed to show a picture, mine's such a mess right now. I've got the little Lane chest I got for high school graduation, where I keep jewelry, a wicker basket that's supposed to be used for hair stuff, but which has become a catchall for every kind of clutter and rubbish that accumulates on a dresser, a box of prescription medication which needs to be refilled, a spray bottle full of Lottabody solution that I knocked over while vacuuming this morning and spilled all over the top of the dresser, a comb I've had since 1988 and a brush I may have had even longer, a pile of movie ticket stubs dating back to last summer (they accumulate in my pockets at work, and I end up tossing them on the dresser just to get rid of them), the top part of a Coty powder box full of bobby pins, the top of another Coty box full of hair salvaged from my brush for stuffing rats, a partially-stuffed rat made out of a worn-out stocking, a novelty Hershey's Kisses tin containing $1.67 in loose change, a scarf with pictures of kitties on it, and a broken shoelace.

So I think I got everyone beat on clutter. Be thankful there's no pic.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I don't really have a dresser, since my apartment came with the original 30's-40's built-in armoire (very convenient), but here's what's on top of my desk (which I made my vanity):

Picture011.jpg

Update: I filled the bandage jar with cotton pads.

There's a mirror propped up against the wall to the right of everything.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
gluegungeisha said:
I love those dolls!

Aren't they zany? :) I don't know much about them other than they look like shady characters. They are made of cloth and I'm guessing they are from the 1940's.

As for your armoire, the dish with the playing cards is cool! I like the whole look.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Hobnail glass is wonderful! I used to have a lamp with a hobnail base when I was little, and I don't think I've ever gotten over breaking it.

I'm ashamed to show a picture, mine's such a mess right now. I've got the little Lane chest I got for high school graduation, where I keep jewelry, a wicker basket that's supposed to be used for hair stuff, but which has become a catchall for every kind of clutter and rubbish that accumulates on a dresser, a box of prescription medication which needs to be refilled, a spray bottle full of Lottabody solution that I knocked over while vacuuming this morning and spilled all over the top of the dresser, a comb I've had since 1988 and a brush I may have had even longer, a pile of movie ticket stubs dating back to last summer (they accumulate in my pockets at work, and I end up tossing them on the dresser just to get rid of them), the top part of a Coty powder box full of bobby pins, the top of another Coty box full of hair salvaged from my brush for stuffing rats, a partially-stuffed rat made out of a worn-out stocking, a novelty Hershey's Kisses tin containing $1.67 in loose change, a scarf with pictures of kitties on it, and a broken shoelace.

So I think I got everyone beat on clutter. Be thankful there's no pic.

I do love hobnail!

Lizzie, a pic would be fun, though. :D But I understand. (Broken shoelace? :) )

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
hehehehehe

Say, what's the trophy from?

That is what you get when you join a junior league basketball team, only attend two practices, and don't play in any games. Oh yes, and a jersey and shorts, too.

Every item you see has some sort of story behind it. That's why they are all up there. It is the Shelf of Stories.... Ask about any item, and you shall hear it's tale.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love your handkerchief box PrettySquareGal--so pretty!

I keep my jewelry in an old jewelry box with drawers on my dresser. I have a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle, my small makeup box, my hairbrush and comb, a small 1940's glass base lamp and a vase with a flower on my dressing table. A matching mirror hangs on the wall above the table. In the drawers of the table I have handkerchiefs, scarves and other accessories.

I've been on the lookout for a nice dresser set but I haven't found one yet. Maybe a french ivory set? I especially like the ones with all the matching pieces (picture frames, brush sets, vases, etc.).

Novella

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Every item you see has some sort of story behind it. That's why they are all up there. It is the Shelf of Stories.... Ask about any item, and you shall hear it's tale.

haha, that's cool. I think it's in Kenneth Fearing's book "The Big Clock" that there's a bartender with an enormous collection of objects, each with a story. Your dresser reminds me of that.

My dresser doesn't have much on it. I only sort of live where I'm at right now.
aug2007010ki2.jpg

Cheap DVD player and TV, remotes, water glass, lotion, lamp for reading.

aug2007011mh4.jpg

DVDs from the library and Hollywood Video. Lotion I never use, but it was here when I came back so I just left it there.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I love your handkerchief box PrettySquareGal--so pretty!

I keep my jewelry in an old jewelry box with drawers on my dresser. I have a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle, my small makeup box, my hairbrush and comb, a small 1940's glass base lamp and a vase with a flower on my dressing table. A matching mirror hangs on the wall above the table. In the drawers of the table I have handkerchiefs, scarves and other accessories.

I've been on the lookout for a nice dresser set but I haven't found one yet. Maybe a french ivory set? I especially like the ones with all the matching pieces (picture frames, brush sets, vases, etc.).

I got the hanky box an an auction and it was filled with wonderful old hankies, too.

Would love to see a pic of your dresser top. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
That is what you get when you join a junior league basketball team, only attend two practices, and don't play in any games. Oh yes, and a jersey and shorts, too.

Well, I'll bite. :)

I see you have saved what looks like n empty water bottle?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
That makes two of us (sort of)

LizzieMaine said:
I'm ashamed to show a picture, mine's such a mess right now. I've got the little Lane chest I got for high school graduation, where I keep jewelry

My mother got a small Lane cedar chest for her high school graduation too. In Japan in the early 50s she had trays lined with green felt made for it and gave it to my dad. About 15 or so years ago, I went searching, and found one at a furniture dealer. I made my own green felt trays and have used it ever since. My eight year old daughter thinks its a super treat when I go over the various "treasures" that are in there.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Here's mine:

1.jpg

The embroidered runners with lace edges were made by my great grandmother. The milkglass lamps were found in the crawl space of my husband's great aunts garage. Ignore the ugly, too small lampshades. They're a temporary fix until I find better ones. On the dresser are a milkglass hobnail powder box (a gift from my mom, purchased for a few dollars at a flea market), a teens-era hand mirror with a glass handle (another cheaply purchased gift from my mother), and another powder box with a deco elephant on top of it (another cheap church sale find from my mother). Also, the vanity is part of a set from the 1920s that I retrieved from the garbage for free. A neighbor's mother had passed away and they had put it to the curb on trash day.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh I love, love, love vintage table linens... we have boxes full of it that we daren't put out due to a certain 14lb ginger tom cat with adventuring paws who has a habit of getting his claws stuck in crochet edging!

More table linens, please!

ShortClara

One Too Many
On my dresser? My husband's Super Hero costume from our pilot. I need to find a box for that thing or something :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love your dresser BeBopBaby--so pretty!

Here's some photos for you PrettySquareGal. My dressing table is in my (tiny) guest room.

dresstable.jpg

A wide shot showing the mirror.

dresser.jpg

The top of my dressing table.

powderbox.jpg

A closeup of my deco powder box and the old Crabtree and Evelyn box where I keep my makeup.

I forgot to mention that I also have my hatpin holder with hatpins on my dresser. Not seen here is my big bottle of Coco, which migrated to my dresser this morning.

And, of course, my dressing table is always this clean! ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I love your dresser BeBopBaby--so pretty!

Here's some photos for you PrettySquareGal. My dressing table is in my (tiny) guest room.

dresstable.jpg

A wide shot showing the mirror.

dresser.jpg

The top of my dressing table.

powderbox.jpg

A closeup of my deco powder box and the old Crabtree and Evelyn box where I keep my makeup.

I forgot to mention that I also have my hatpin holder with hatpins on my dresser. Not seen here is my big bottle of Coco, which migrated to my dresser this morning.

And, of course, my dressing table is always this clean! ;)

Just lovely! I also use C & E boxes! I LOVE the deco powder box.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Here's mine:

1.jpg

The embroidered runners with lace edges were made by my great grandmother. The milkglass lamps were found in the crawl space of my husband's great aunts garage. Ignore the ugly, too small lampshades. They're a temporary fix until I find better ones. On the dresser are a milkglass hobnail powder box (a gift from my mom, purchased for a few dollars at a flea market), a teens-era hand mirror with a glass handle (another cheaply purchased gift from my mother), and another powder box with a deco elephant on top of it (another cheap church sale find from my mother). Also, the vanity is part of a set from the 1920s that I retrieved from the garbage for free. A neighbor's mother had passed away and they had put it to the curb on trash day.

Oh, yummy hobnail milkglass, how nice! Your garbage find is amazing. Do I need to start dumpster diving? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy