Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
One cluttered vanity

well lets see.
I have all my vintage make up, perfumes, pictures of vintage friends on the mirror......jewels..... boxes of Jewels.....vanity treasures like, deco boxes for hair pins and metal Rods....crystal vintage perfume bottles....sliver hair brush and Mirror....1940's Brass lamp!
a picture of me at rosalind russells grave!

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
I reconize that darling Vanity!Oh and the adoreable shoes too!

so jealous!lol
Miss 1929 said:
and all full...
I really need to cull the makeup drawer, it is up to the top now. I keep the brushes and such in a jar on the top surface, but all the real makeup in the drawer. Another drawer just for nails, one for the hair combs, brushes, barrettes, backup bobby pins in various boxes (there are two pin caddies on the top too), one drawer has cans of hairspray, wave setting clamps, hairnets, snoods, fake hair, and the bottom two drawers seems to accumulate...crap.
I can't see keeping the cold cream and such here, as I always use it at the sink...thank goodness I have a big cupboard in the bathroom.
And the top always seems to grow more little boxes of stuff...
other items on top that are essential, a standing mirror for closeup work (doubles as a see-the-back-of-head mirror), wedding photo, flower vase, alarm clock (if it's next to the bed I snooze it forever, I have to get out of bed to wake up), and lamps! Must have strong light!
Here's the table on a neat day, still way too cluttered.

l_e684ca28cc074c89dc44974022e8da1b.jpg

Lorena B

Practically Family
Oh girls, i love your vanities...!!!!

I am actually looking for one now, it has to be vintage for sure, and have at least 4 drawers for make up, hair stuff, creams and sexy underwear.

I have it all visualized, drawers lining with some nice paper and a nice pink/white tulle tablecloth to avoid scratching, and lots of little perfume bottles on top.

What i am not sure is about the mirror's shape, did i read somewhere the round one was best??

I am also looking for those hollow cushioned stols or benches where you can put stuff in ( i could hide there my less glamourous staff or even better jewelry as i dont think modern thugs know about this.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Here is the pic of my vanity...
I love it, I oil it once a week and I put some old xmas lights around it for a nice glow. (those are some of my hair flowers barretted to the lights)

I wish I could take a head on pic, but it is in a corner of my room that is in an L-shape.

and MaryDeluxe, notice anything?

Oh wow it took me long enough to see this post!! hahahaha I'm a loser lol
Anyway....could it be Momma poodle and her babies! I'm glad you have a special place for them!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lorena B said:
Oh girls, i love your vanities...!!!!

I am actually looking for one now, it has to be vintage for sure, and have at least 4 drawers for make up, hair stuff, creams and sexy underwear.

I have it all visualized, drawers lining with some nice paper and a nice pink/white tulle tablecloth to avoid scratching, and lots of little perfume bottles on top.

What i am not sure is about the mirror's shape, did i read somewhere the round one was best??

I am also looking for those hollow cushioned stols or benches where you can put stuff in ( i could hide there my less glamourous staff or even better jewelry as i dont think modern thugs know about this.

A girl needs her workspace!
I think it really doesn't matter what shape mirror, but what would be great (that I don't have) is the kind with wings in the sides so you can see profile and back views! I like my round one though, as I have two othwer round mirrors in the room now, so they echo each other.

Also, instead of a tablecloth, you could also have a piece of glass cut to fit the top, that way you get the wood look and the easy cleanup. I think a tablecloth is fine if you plan to be cleaning all the time, it wouldn't work for me. I tend to accumulate an archeological dig's worth of debris and clean it all up every few months or so! And by that time, the tablecloth would be growing mushrooms.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
A girl needs her workspace!
I think it really doesn't matter what shape mirror, but what would be great (that I don't have) is the kind with wings in the sides so you can see profile and back views! I like my round one though, as I have two othwer round mirrors in the room now, so they echo each other.

I have one of those mirrors with wings on the sides, but I would love a round mirror.

the grass is always greener...[huh]

Lorena B

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
too true, I very nearly covered my hair in wine and drank my lottabody the other day. Srsly.
Ha,ha,ha, thats is sooo funny Smuterella.

Miss 1929, thank you for the idea, i believe is sooo practical

Back in Spain my mum made me a nice tablecloth for a desk i had (but i converted in dressing table) like those ones you see in the films, it covered the whole thing so i used the hidden space underneath it as a little storage. I dont fancy to store stuff there anymore but the cloth was making it look sooo glamorous and girly...;)

Lilibet

New in Town
My dressing table is a 1940s writing desk. http://www.flickr.com/photos/7387894@N08/ I bought it from a resale shop nearby; the woman who runs it had "dressed it up" by painting it with light pink latex paint, but didn't strip the varnish off first so now the paint is peeling. That's okay because I planned to strip it anyway, but until I do it looks kind of trashed.

In the shallow center drawer is most of my makeup -- all the flat eyeshadow pans, loose powder, mascara, etc. In the deeper drawer on one side are my lippies (on end so I can read the colors), nail polish bottles, and other tall things that have to stand upright. In the other drawer is a box of kleenex, my boar's bristle hairbrush, and an 8" magnifying mirror.

The mirror on top came from an antique store; the perfume bottles in the center were gifts from my 2 boys -- still no perfume in them! -- on a silver tray that belonged to my grandmother. The makeup brushes are in an old-fashioned glass that was also my grandmother's. The lamps are from Z-Gallerie, but I don't love them and will replace them with something nicer when I find them.

Lorena B

Practically Family
WOOHOOO!! I am soo happy to gals let you know, i finally got the vintage vanity table! ufff!, i still dont have any pics but i eventually post then to share some possible ideas about what to keep there.
It is a 1930's oak one, 3 wings mirrow attached, 3 little drawers that are still waiting to be filled up with brushes, jewelry boxes, make up and creams.... and underneath them there is this little closet with one shelf where i have put my little collection of bakelite and lucite handbags (top shelf) and in the lower some fabric scraps, sewing boxes (as much as i am able to fit there)

I am currently moving form London to Holland (were my dresser is waiting for me) so i am trying to get some nice stuff like hair receivers, a lipstick holder....and nice old perfume bottles.

Ill post the pics when all is set;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou