Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

Decayla

New in Town
Vanity

Awwww thank you guys! Thank you very much :) I still hope to see more people come back to this post and show theirs as well. It's been so long since anyone has until recently.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I'm drooling after reading through this whole thread, I *do* have a waterfall vanity but it's very bare and utilitarian at the moment. It was a find I couldn't pass up 3 years ago, $20 at an antique mall.

It's funny, when I'd see photos of bathrooms from the era and the tiny pedestal sinks, I never could figure out where ladies of the day put all their stuff! It never occurred to me that they didn't do all their hair and makeup in the bathroom with stuff spread all over the countertop, like we do today.

It's more convenient and practical for me to get ready in the bathroom, but I do want to start collecting vintage girly things to decorate my vanity with. It's too pretty a piece of furniture to be used to house office supplies and stacks of bills!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Decayla said:
Here are some pictures of my vanity. I hope you like them.

5.jpg

Decayla, yours is a shrine to all things sweet and girly! Love it!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I went home and cleared off all the clutter and dusted so I could take a picture. This is my vanity in my reading corner:

IMG_0262.jpg

The little green box on the right is...I'm actually not sure what the correct name for it is but it's a music box that winds up, and my mom told me that face powder was kept in the top of it under the lid. It belonged to my grandmother who was a young newly married woman in the late 20's early 30's. It's the only girly art deco thing I have.....so far!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I'm lucky enough to have a 40's dressing table that belonged to my great aunt.On it i have a depression glass vase with pretend roses in it,2 depression glass candlestick holders,a pair of gloves that belonged to hubby's grandmother,a small vintage tapestry bag that my mum bought me,a vintage glass powder jar(i think) with jewellery in it,a 50's chocolate tin that i keep my possets perfume in,a container of chantilly powder,tabu perfume & body lotion,a yardley lavender soap in it's tin,cashmere bouquet powder,a milk glass avon perfume bottle in a bell shape,a little fairy figurine that mum bought me & a 1952 picture show annual:)

Annichen

Familiar Face
Ooooh I love this tread!
I have had a vanity since I was tiny.
My grandmother gave me hers when I was about 11.
But since I am so die hard Deco now I got myself a waterfall one similar to quite a few of the ones I see here..it is cluttered.
I must add photos as soon as I remember to buy batteries for my camera,can not possibly capture all the fabulous glamorous mess with my macbook cam lol

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Gingerella72 said:
I went home and cleared off all the clutter and dusted so I could take a picture. This is my vanity in my reading corner:

IMG_0262.jpg

The little green box on the right is...I'm actually not sure what the correct name for it is but it's a music box that winds up, and my mom told me that face powder was kept in the top of it under the lid. It belonged to my grandmother who was a young newly married woman in the late 20's early 30's. It's the only girly art deco thing I have.....so far!

Ack! I have a nearly idendical music box! The space inside is so tiny, I'd always wondered what it was used for. Thanks for the ideas! Now I'll have to do some digging into where it originally came from. I love your vanity!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Last night after posting this I got to inspecting the box closer and on the bottom it has an original tag "Cody Music Creations." A brief internet search didn't reveal much information, other than references to "musical powder box."

At first I thought it might be related to Coty makeup/perfume but then wouldn't it be spelled "Coty" on the tag? That would make more sense as it was supposed to hold powder.....do any of you ladies who are better versed in period vanity items have any more insight to these?

swinggal

One Too Many
Ok, mine is hard to see because it sits in front of a wooden blind, blends in a bit. Looks cluttered and messy here - but it actually isnt. I have a 30s dresser and chair with 2 matching wardrobes. I have so much vintage hair paraphenalia to display but I found that it just gets dusty so i keep it all in the drawers of of the dresser. Hats are in hat boxes generally too.

My vanity came with glass tops, and I have use that the make a display area. I propped the centre glass panel up on robber stoppers in each corner so I could display compacts, deco jewellery, watches etc. Works a treat :) I also have a:
- hat stand with 30s hats
- tooth powder lid from 1900
- 50s Japanese jewellery box
- 30s lucite jewellery box which belonged to my nana
- 20s deco glass jar with enamel lid
- 40s ceramic lady who holds some of my waving clips
- 30s deco wooden tray with bakelite handles to display my perfume on
- picture of my grandpop from the 20s
- wooden dude where I hang necklances etc
- laquered Chinese jewellery box
- a couple of 30s power boxes
and all of the stuff that is under the glass

CRW_0138.jpg

IMG_0115-1.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

STC_0118.jpg

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Oh yours is very similar to mine Swingal except i have 2 drawers in the middle & my mirror is round.What i great idea with the glass!:eusa_clap Mine has glass too & i put 1930's/40's photos under the centre piece.They belonged to a wonderful elderly ladie who i knew when i was younger,she was a dancer & she gave me the photos,she even autographed one for me:D Her name was Queenie Royal & she had so many interesting stories ,i loved visiting her .

swinggal

One Too Many
Thanks, I have so much vintage jewellery but it's no going to all fit under there. I keep most of it in the Japanese and Chinese boxes.

I should spread all my hair stuff out one day and take pics to show you all :)

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh! I have a Coty gift set too..Paris de Coty <3
I just LOVE things like that..makes you believe that you live in that period for a moment ;)
(..well, at home I live in my favorite era anyway,but you get it right?)

What I always notice is the design on everything, it is so well done.
Nowadays everything looks pretty much the same, dull silver//white design, you wouldn't exactly want to keep a empty powder box from last years L'oreal line, now would you?
These powder boxes from the 30s..gosh, I'll never throw those out!

whaleomelette

New in Town
all my vanity items and hats and pretty much everything else are in storage but ill photo soon as i get them back out
i have *alot*
however i dont have them on a vanity table as i think it looks untidy and they are impractical

D

Deleted member 12480

P1012861.jpg

my not particularly modern (the actual vanity is Old - just sort of modern-ly (?) decorated) but beloved dressing table.

xxxx

oh and it does have 'wings' but they swing backwards of their own accord!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy