Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

When I was growing up I got fed a lot of spam, because it was CHEAP!!
Nowadays a block of spam is upward of $3, probably closer to $4, about the same price as real meat. Somehow the motivation to consume it is diminished.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't understand someone liking spam but turning up their nose at tofu on principle. (It's one thing if you've actually had well-prepared tofu and don't like it; it's another thing to just be against it all without having tried a good preparation. I know there's texture issues.) I've had spam in my life (probably far too much- there was a time when that was the only meat my family ever ate). I've had tofu in my life (also probably too much because of my recent eating habits). Both are pretty much ground up matter. Among the vegetarian proteins, tofu IS the spam of the lot. (Cheap, plentiful, comes packed in a bit of water... sound familiar?)

Best way to eat tofu? As a substitute for Paneer in Indian cooking. Or in a stir fry. I know what I'm making tomorrow....

Don't get the idea that I like Spam either. Marvel Mystery Meat doesn't work for me. It has to look like muscle eat for me to go near it and Spam fails that test. lol lol lol
http://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE
I don't like Spam.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I'm sure it most likely has been said before, but those blasted Google Glass!!! Someone would be advised not to arrive at my home wearing them unless the want to make a video of themselves being turfed out the door.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
When I was growing up I got fed a lot of spam, because it was CHEAP!!
Nowadays a block of spam is upward of $3, probably closer to $4

Last I checked it was exactly $2.50 a can at a big box grocery retailer. At least they have several flavors to choose from now. Personally I've always liked it, especially pan fried in thick slices and served as a sandwich with bread, mayo and mustard.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
They have Hot & Spicy Spam with Tabasco sauce. :hungry:

Hot-Spicy-SPAM.png
The food of the Gods! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wow, we considered Spam only for the rich folks. We ate a lot of boiled rice.

We used to get the government Spam. It was round instead of rectangular, but it was still made by Hormel and it tasted the same. Sometimes when we were feeling self-conscious we'd trim it into a rectangle shape before taking it to school so the other kids at lunch wouldn't know the difference.

I ate a lot of that at my grandmother's house growing up. That and the cheese that came in the giant blocks. To this day I've never had a grilled cheese sandwich that could top that stuff.
My grandmother was big on making mac & cheese with it, with little cubes of cut up spam in it. I HAVE eaten a lot of stuff to this day that was better than that.

I ate a lot of that at my grandmother's house growing up. That and the cheese that came in the giant blocks. To this day I've never had a grilled cheese sandwich that could top that stuff.
My grandmother was big on making mac & cheese with it, with little cubes of cut up spam in it. I HAVE eaten a lot of stuff to this day that was better than that.

Mac and cheese was for special occassions, like Easter. No Spam, however, and it was pretty darn good.

I'm not knocking mac&cheese, it was and still is a favorite. Just not with spam in it.

Or tuna.

Or peas & carrots.

Edward

Bartender
I can't recall whether we've mentioned it, but I'll be very glad when these two things are gone:

- "Vintage" as a label for anything more than ten minutes old / excuse to treble an already silly price

- low waists and skinny trouser legs. Seriously, these have been around forever - isn't fashion supposed to change every six months?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
There is one thing equally horrid with the skinny pants. Skinny Sport Coats. They are hideous. I refuse to even put a link to the hideous coats, but if you want to see them, just pay a little visit to the Amazon mens' sport coat section.

I'm not knocking mac&cheese, it was and still is a favorite. Just not with spam in it.

Or tuna.

Or peas & carrots.

Mrs. Hawk puts tuna in red tomato sauce and pours it over spaghetti. It's entirely disgusting.

Now...there is a local delicacy specific to the mid-Gulf Coast of Florida called "crab shala", which is blue crab in a red tomato sauce, with copious amounts of Bell pepper (some folks add other seafood such as scallops, shrimp and mussels, but the traditional is just blue crab). It is heavenly. It was reserved for special occassions as well. For some reason it was popular on the 4th of July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany