Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
After going to Cape Cod again (I have some relatives up there, who let us visit in the summer), and hearing the awful 21st century music blasted out of cars, and played in stores. I cannot wait for synthesizer based music to disappear. Or maybe they should just play some actual music with those synthesizers, instead of "music" which is just phony voices, a nasty beat, and a poorly written song. It seems current music doesn't follow any sort of form. It is just like a garbage pile. All mashed together, with no quality, and is annoying to be around. It doesn't follow a classic style, nor does it follow the blues scale. It doesn't sound good at all. It sounds vile, and it all sounds the same.

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Quite right, and sad but true. I certainly won't miss what passes for "music" these days. But this current computer generated rubbish does not bode well for the future of music I fear. It's all just fast and cheap,...like so much of our "culture" these days, made with the idea of just making a quick buck.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I would give anything never to hear the phrase "must-have" again. I must have air, water, food, work, a roof over my head, and sleep, but other than that, almost nothing can really be classified as "must-have."

Equally irritating: advertisements that begin with the word "hurry." How I detest being told to hurry by some idiot whom I wouldn't permit to set foot in my living room. Hurry! Before they're gone! Hurry! Before some stupid deadline that I just invented twenty seconds ago expires! Hurry! Before I explode!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I would give anything never to hear the phrase "must-have" again. I must have air, water, food, work, a roof over my head, and sleep, but other than that, almost nothing can really be classified as "must-have."

Equally irritating: advertisements that begin with the word "hurry." How I detest being told to hurry by some idiot whom I wouldn't permit to set foot in my living room. Hurry! Before they're gone! Hurry! Before some stupid deadline that I just invented twenty seconds ago expires! Hurry! Before I explode!

Now days you can just log on and get said item, without fighting the crowds for a parking spot or getting an elbow in the ribs. :D

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

To that add any commercial that claims, "....your friends at [insert name of store here]." Or, "...all of your favorite [whatever product category they're peddling here]..

Damn it, they don't even know my name, but now they're my "friends" and they somehow know that my favorite anything is? Don't get me started.

"Quality, value, styles, service, selection, convenience, economy savings, performance, experience, hospitality, low rates, friendly service, name brands, easy terms, affordable prices, money-back guarantee, free installation. Free admission, free appraisal, free alterations, free delivery, free estimates, free home trial, and free parking. No cash? No problem. No kidding, no fuss, no muss, no risk, no obligation, no red tape, no down payment, no entry fee, no hidden charges, no purchase necessary, no one will call on you, no payments of interest till September. Limited time only though so act now, order today, send no money, offer good while supplies last, two to a customer, each item sold separately, batteries not included, mileage may vary, all sales are final, allow 6 weeks for delivery, some items not available, some assembly required, some restrictions may apply. Come on in for a free demonstration and a free consultation with our friendly professional staff. Our experienced and knowledgeable sales representatives will help you make a selection that’s just right for you and just right for your budget and say, don’t forget to pick up your free gift, a classic, deluxe, custom, designer, luxury, prestige, high quality, premium select, gourmet pocket pencil sharpener...yours for the asking, no purchase necessary, it’s our way of saying 'thank you'. And, if you act now, we’ll include an extra added, free, complementary, bonus gift, a classic, deluxe, custom, designer, luxury, prestige, high quality, premium select, gourmet combination key ring, magnifying glass, and garden hose, in a genuine, imitation, leather-style, carrying case with authentic vinyl trim...yours for the asking, no purchase necessary, it’s our way of saying 'thank you'."

George Carlin - Advertising Lullaby

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Be careful when you pull up next to a vehicle withe characteristic thud, thud sound, they may not be listing to the music you think they are! The other day, I backed my truck out of the garage, then got out, left it running, with the radio on, to grab a part, when I was walking back, I noticed the sound coming from my truck, it sounded like I was listing to Rap! I was in fact listing to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The stereo in the truck is better then any thing I have ever had in my house, combined with hearing loss, I must of had it cranked up more then I thought! [video=youtube;_-mvutiDRvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mvutiDRvQ[/video]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Be careful when you pull up next to a vehicle withe characteristic thud, thud sound, they may not be listing to the music you think they are! The other day, I backed my truck out of the garage, then got out, left it running, with the radio on, to grab a part, when I was walking back, I noticed the sound coming from my truck, it sounded like I was listing to Rap! I was in fact listing to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The stereo in the truck is better then any thing I have ever had in my house, combined with hearing loss, I must of had it cranked up more then I thought!

Constant loud "sounds" will come back & haunt you .

(high pitch ringing on one side of ear ...:horn:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Be careful when you pull up next to a vehicle withe characteristic thud, thud sound, they may not be listing to the music you think they are! The other day, I backed my truck out of the garage, then got out, left it running, with the radio on, to grab a part, when I was walking back, I noticed the sound coming from my truck, it sounded like I was listing to Rap! I was in fact listing to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The stereo in the truck is better then any thing I have ever had in my house, combined with hearing loss, I must of had it cranked up more then I thought! [video=youtube;_-mvutiDRvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mvutiDRvQ[/video]

Alex DeLarge would love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou