Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

vintage68

Practically Family
I see good ol' boys blowing past me in the snow all the time in their jacked-up pickups, then a mile or so down the road I see 'em in the ditch. Having four wheel drive won't make you immune from the forces of friction or inertia either. Just sayin'.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've got hilly curvy roads all over the place here, and around the middle of November into early December and then the middle of March into the early part of April we get exactly those conditions here. That's why we have studded snows on the car and poke along at 35 with both hands on the steering wheel.

rjb1

Practically Family
Dh66 had it right earlier. Back in more civilized times - pre-Northern and Western invasion (the more recent one, not the one in 1861-65), cold and snow around just lasted ~24 hours. Just hole up for a while and it would go away.

The bubba-idiots running in the ditch in big four-wheelers are going it more for fun than because they really need to be anywhere.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Concerning the supposed inability of Southerners to drive in snow, you Yankees just don't get it. Around here it's not a case driving on a smooth layer of snow on flat ground - we have a situation that you just don't encounter, in most cases.
Here, the temperature is often in the low forties during daylight, then it starts to rain as it cools further at sundown. As the temperature goes below freezing the rain turns to sleet and ice. Then a light layer of snow goes on top of that during the night.

We also have a lot of steep hills and sharp curves in the roads.

Try driving on a quarter inch of ice covered by a half inch of snow, going down a steep hill and around a curve - in the dark - and we'll see how it goes.
You Yankees are pretty smart, but I haven't seen one yet that could defy the laws of physics concerning coefficient of friction and inertia. (The good-ole-boy driving the tow truck will be glad to help you get out of the ditch.)

We call it Black Ice, because you can't see it. The solution is, slow down!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I see good ol' boys blowing past me in the snow all the time in their jacked-up pickups, then a mile or so down the road I see 'em in the ditch. Having four wheel drive won't make you immune from the forces of friction or inertia either. Just sayin'.....

We always joke, "the sales man said my 4X4 could go any where, he never said any thing about stopping!"

I always laugh whenever I see some sunny southern region hit by a rare snow or ice storm, and the locals don't know how to drive in it. It often looks like a bumper car ride on steroids...
Here in the Los Angeles area of southern California we don't need snow or ice for that--a little rain will do the job. We get rain so infrequently that the local municipalities generally don't maintain the drainage systems until after it starts raining, so the water tends to pool on the roadways rather quickly. And most of the people driving on those roadways either creep along or drive too fast for the conditions (i.e., at their normal rates of speed) so, between the two, accidents start racking up like points on a pinball machine. And then everyone has to slow down to get a good look at the accident(s), so the freeways become parking lots...or mini-marinas, if the rainwater gets deep enough. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My former boss insisted I make up one of those and use it when hiring theatre staff. I thought it was ridiculous given the kind of an operation we have, so I made the questions as deliberately preposterous as possible. Used it for one hire, and then conveniently forgot about it and went back to my tried-and-true method of hiring on instinct.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Reminds me that I surely wouldn't miss corporate control freaks if they all suddenly disappeared. I think the corporate headquarters of the company I currently work for has an entire building full of office "workers" who must continually appear to be actually doing something. They make up new rules and procedures about every three months or so.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My former boss insisted I make up one of those and use it when hiring theatre staff. I thought it was ridiculous given the kind of an operation we have, so I made the questions as deliberately preposterous as possible. Used it for one hire, and then conveniently forgot about it and went back to my tried-and-true method of hiring on instinct.

And I thank you for it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The final question on the one I prepared was "Do you think questionnaires like this are stupid? Be Honest."

Yes....I mean no......errrrr......what do you think is the right answer, so you will hire me. I mean, what ever your boss answered, yeah, that's it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany