Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Y'know you're old when...

...the doctor is younger than you are.
...the candles cost more than the cake.
...You have to clarify what 'the war' is, and which one it was.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unless it's (1) subject to decomposition or (2) something with a sharp edge I don't bother to pick it up until the next time the vacuum cleaner is out. Part of advancing age is an increased awareness that nobody *really* gives a damn if there's a scrap of paper or a clot of mud or a tuft of cat hair on your kitchen floor. And also the worse your eyes get the less likely you are to even *see* said crap in the first place.

My great cousin is legally blind. She came and stayed with my family when I was young for about a week. My mother told me to concentrate on the "big things" in cleaning the house for this visit, as it was unlikely that with this cousin's level of vision she could see dust, scuff marks, etc. Basically my mother figured that she couldn't really see if the house was perfectly clean (something my mother worried about with most guests) because her vision was so poor.

My mother nearly had a heart attack when on the ride home this cousin spotted a robin in a tree about 50 feet away.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I can't go into too much detail, but the "other list" involves stripping the sheets off a water bed and a bottle of baby oil. I can't help who I am.

We did that once. I ended up with a dislocated shoulder and she still can't stand the smell of baby oil. I have no idea if it had as long lasting effect on the hospital staff.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The phrase "wow...just wow."

Cheap wire key rings that pull apart and jab you whenever you pull on them to open a door.

Adult sippy cups.

People who use their disregard for "political correctness" as an excuse for acting like a jackass.

The phrase "politically correct."

Liquid soap.

Drivers who think it's a good idea to swerve lane to lane in downtown traffic while talking on a cell phone, smoking a cigarette, drinking a Coolata, and carrying a small, yappy dog in their lap.

Whoever it was who came up with the word "Coolata."

"Serious Bicyclists" who don't believe those ONE WAY signs apply to them.

People who say "E-V-O-O" when talking about olive oil.

Tourists who rest their fat entitled backsides on historical monuments to war dead.

The "snarky blogger" voice.

Finger quotes.

People who call articles, essays, reports, and other written material "content."

Paid shills for fringe causes who swamp newspaper comment sections with boilerplate propaganda.

People who think the world really needs to see their kneecaps.

Clear Channel Communications, Inc.

The Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays.

Styrofoam packing peanuts.

People who think fish and chips should be eaten with tartar sauce.

Oxycodone.

Mega-corporations that buy out old local companies and keep their brands on the market in a second-rate, adulterated form hoping to squeeze the last drop of goodwill out of the products before driving themselves into bankruptcy.

People who put ketchup on hot dogs.

Chirping electronic alarms.

The phrase "pushing the envelope."

Saturday Night Live.

You know you're old when you drop something on the floor and have to think about whether it's worth the effort to bend over and pick it up. At least that's how I knew.
And it's confirmed when you decide to squat rather than bend to retrieve said object, and your knees sound like dueling bowls of Rice Krispies when you try to stand up. lol

I'll take that as a compliment. :p
I would. ;)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, mine would make it worse by tearing up and spreading it all over. lol lol Boys work better. :p

This works out kind of odd.
If I notice the Heeler has something she's not supposed to have, I get the ears laid back on the head look, and she drops the item. If It's the Bedlington, she'll just keep doing it!!!!!! Terriers....
If my wife calls the Heeler by name, the item is brought straight to her. :D
However, having 2 little girls, when one drops it, the other one pick it up.
Or they BOTH share in the spoil and tear it up together.
If we can't see them (they lay behind 1 of 3 recliners for their "den") and they start growling at each, somebody has an item other than a bone. ;)
The Heeler is sneaky about this, but she will allow us to see her grab the item.
The Bedlington on the other hand, is quiet and stealthy. We don't she has it until the other one tells on her, usually in the form of barking.
Items not limited to paper towels, toilet paper (from the roll), chap stick (they prefer Burts Bees), ice from the ice maker that drops on the floor (there is a mad dash to grab it by both of them), and regular paper like junk mail.

I agree Rocketeer, but adults say this too. I'm in gov't and I can ASSURE you, I hear "whatever" daily. Usually when work is dropped on someone's desk. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Lousy customer service and lousy service people. I had my washing machine "fixed" a few motnhs ago and it gave up the ghost a few days ago. I figured it was the same problem so I jumped on the internet and figured out how to fix it with a video tutorial. I wondered how much the part would cost me as the guy charged me $160 to fix it last time. Well, I went down to the local appliance parts distributor and it was $16 for the part. I bought two in case I screwed one up. In the process of fixing it----about 20 minutes for the initiated---I realized the previous moron had used substandard parts and replaced only half of what needed replacing! That is it! I am fixing my own appliances from now on. At least I know what the heck I am doing. :doh: The machine is washing better than it has in years by the way.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
IMG_4849.jpg

"Okay, which one of you clowns brought the helium?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany