Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Talking fast food burgers? Whichever is closer...McDonalds, Burger King, Whataburger, Sonic etc. I wouldn't walk across the street to get to one over the other. When I want a good burger, there are several non fast food type places that are far superior...Five Guys, Smashburger, Beck's Prime...not to mention the mom and pop places.

I know you just go to Five Guys to fill up on and stash away peanuts---tell us the truth. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What's with the right way, wrong way with chilli? The Mexicans put cocoa in their's. I wouldn't have thought it edible until I tried it.

What's with the right way, wrong way with chilli? The Mexicans put cocoa in their's. I wouldn't have thought it edible until I tried it.

Mexicans don't really eat "chili". It's pretty much an American invention (Texas to be specific). They have mole, which often contains chocolate (the native way, not the European way with milk and sugar).

As for the "right way", it's beef, fat, chiles and other spices to taste. That's it. No tomatoes, no beans, no cinnamon, or any of that other crap popular with the hippie crowd.

As an Alabamian who has formerly resided in the Republic of Texas (aka occupied Mexico) I will gladly second Senor Hawk's assessment. Proper "chili" ( note' one L) or chili con carne as it is often known is made with meat (preferably NOT) hamburger) chili peppers, garlic, onions, and appropriate spices; usually cumin and oregano. No beans and preferably no tomatos, although a beer or two to make the broth is fine. Essentially like another,further western dish, carne adovado, or carne en adobo.
Chilli (note, 2 Ls) is the concoction that more closely resembles spaghetti sauce with beans consumed in most of the rest of America. Not always bad, but definately a different kind of dish entirely. Why, some folks have even been known to use chicken instead of meat in it.
It's that extra L that causes the confusion. If you are expecting "chili" and someone seves you "chilli" or vice versa, often dissapointment or hard feelings can result.

btw - I love beans, all kinds of 'em, just don't want 'em in my chili. But that also makes me somewhat of an odd bird here in the heart of dixie.

Sorry for the rant, but it is a sore topic for me. Also, to get back on topic somewhat, putting chicken or turkey in "chilli" is a product of the times I'd like no more of. Especially folks who use chicken and navy beans and non-chili spices to make "white chilli". What an abomination!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
As an Alabamian who has formerly resided in the Republic of Texas (aka occupied Mexico) I will gladly second Senor Hawk's assessment. Proper "chili" ( note' one L) or chili con carne as it is often known is made with meat (preferably NOT) hamburger) chili peppers, garlic, onions, and appropriate spices; usually cumin and oregano. No beans and preferably no tomatos, although a beer or two to make the broth is fine. Essentially like another,further western dish, carne adovado, or carne en adobo.
Chilli (note, 2 Ls) is the concoction that more closely resembles spaghetti sauce with beans consumed in most of the rest of America. Not always bad, but definately a different kind of dish entirely. Why, some folks have even been known to use chicken instead of meat in it.
It's that extra L that causes the confusion. If you are expecting "chili" and someone seves you "chilli" or vice versa, often dissapointment or hard feelings can result.

btw - I love beans, all kinds of 'em, just don't want 'em in my chili. But that also makes me somewhat of an odd bird here in the heart of dixie.

I'll let you off with the L thing but you are still wrong. :p

DesertDan

One Too Many
Chili con carne is beef slow cooked in a sauce made from peppers. There is a red and a green version with the red being the more traditional. Beans or frijolies,(usually pinto beans) prepared whole or creamed i.e. refried, are a serperate dish.
Chilli made with beans ,tomatoes, peppers and other spices is a Tex-mex dish.

WTF?? That's not even "chili" or "chilli". That's just vegetable soup.

Last edited:
Chili con carne is beef slow cooked in a sauce made from peppers. There is a red and a green version with the red being the more traditional. Beans or frijolies,(usually pinto beans) prepared whole or creamed i.e. refried, are a serperate dish.
Chilli made with beans ,tomatoes, peppers and other spices is a Tex-mex dish.

Tex-Mex like like captain D's fish-n-chips is British.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou