Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

ha, right! I'm never as miserable a human being as when I am trying to eat healthy and/or dieting.

A friend of mine came over Saturday and told me that his Horse Doctor has put him on a Vegetarian diet for a month to check how his cholesterol medicine is working or affecting his muscles or something like that. I told him I would have another doctor twenty minutes later. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine came over Saturday and told me that his Horse Doctor has put him on a Vegetarian diet for a month to check how his cholesterol medicine is working or affecting his muscles or something like that. I told him I would have another doctor twenty minutes later. :p

Hypertriglycemic Neuropathy is no laughing matter. The danger has only recently been recognized, for Statins and Fibrates are both useful and highly profitable. My father now suffers from this, and it has severely limited his ability to get around. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hypertriglycemic Neuropathy is no laughing matter. The danger has only recently been recognized, for Statins and Fibrates are both useful and highly profitable. My father now suffers from this, and it has severely limited his ability to get around. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So is he on a vegetarian diet to prevent this? I don't get how that would help.
So my friend should stop taking this crap then right? :doh: Oh geez! He really does need another doctor.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
So is he on a vegetarian diet to prevent this? I don't get how that would help.
So my friend should stop taking this crap then right? :doh: Oh geez! He really does need another doctor.
A very low fat vegetarian diet is often ordered for a brief while immediately after the discontinuance of the statin and/or fibrate so that blood tests may accurately show the levels of creatinine, serum protein, Ketone and certain other metabolites. This is an unfortunate inconvenience, but the accurate determination of the cause of the syndrome is important, for it may sometimes be reversed by aggressive treatment, though unfortunately at least 40% of cases of diagnosed Peripheral Neuropathy are determined to be idiopathic. In addition, in a small number of instances the Neuropathy may be the symptom of an autoimmune muscle wasting disease, triggered by the Statin, which can be either severely debilitating or ultimately fatal. A meatless month seems but a minor inconvenience in comparison.

A very low fat vegetarian diet is often ordered for a brief while immediately after the discontinuance of the statin and/or fibrate so that blood tests may accurately show the levels of creatinine, serum protein, Ketone and certain other metabolites. This is an unfortunate inconvenience, but the accurate determination of the cause of the syndrome is important, for it may sometimes be reversed by aggressive treatment, though unfortunately at least 40% of cases of diagnosed Peripheral Neuropathy are determined to be idiopathic. In addition, in a small number of instances the Neuropathy may be the symptom of an autoimmune muscle wasting disease, triggered by the Statin, which can be either severely debilitating or ultimately fatal. A meatless month seems but a minor inconvenience in comparison.

Ok, but it isn't that and thanks for scaring me. :doh:
The horse doctor wants him to lose 20 pounds. He could do just as well going to a nutritionist rather than going rabbit. :doh: That is extreme.
He already had the nerve tests and MRI done. No problems. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I don't see how that would work. Booze and cake are still vegetarian. :D

Carrot Cake helps your eyesight, so you can see in the dark.
If I keep saying that, eventually scientists will realize my find and give me credit for it. :D
Of course if you wash it down with a large Irish coffee, you'll bump into things anyway.

Edward

Bartender
Carrot cake is actually pretty tasty. The trick is, you have to throw it out and replace it with a German Chocolate cake. :D Almost everything goes with Irish coffee though.

I find Irish Coffee morally offensive. What sort of pervert would ruin good whiskey by pouring that coffee muck into it?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok, but it isn't that and thanks for scaring me. :doh:
The horse doctor wants him to lose 20 pounds. He could do just as well going to a nutritionist rather than going rabbit. :doh: That is extreme.
He already had the nerve tests and MRI done. No problems. :D

Becoming a vegetarian for a month *might* make him lose weight depending upon how he eats, but even if it does, it's not going to matter if after the month he goes back to old habits. And the goal of loosing 20 pounds in a month is awfully unhealthy anyways, a doctor should know better.

Besides, becoming a vegetarian isn't as simple as "don't eat meat." There's actually balancing of your meals/ food items you have to do to get essential nutrients, etc. I wouldn't trust any doctor who said off hand "become a vegetarian for a month to lose weight" without sending a person to a nutritionist.

Feraud

Bartender
Not to mention the stereotype of the militant vegetarian is based on the exception rather than the norm.
People who are vegetarian for health and animal rights issues tend to do their thing and no more force their ideas on others than the Bacon Loving Hipster crowd.

Becoming a vegetarian for a month *might* make him lose weight depending upon how he eats, but even if it does, it's not going to matter if after the month he goes back to old habits. And the goal of loosing 20 pounds in a month is awfully unhealthy anyways, a doctor should know better.

Besides, becoming a vegetarian isn't as simple as "don't eat meat." There's actually balancing of your meals/ food items you have to do to get essential nutrients, etc. I wouldn't trust any doctor who said off hand "become a vegetarian for a month to lose weight" without sending a person to a nutritionist.

Exactly my point. His doctor isn't fit to be a veterinarian! :doh:

Not to mention the stereotype of the militant vegetarian is based on the exception rather than the norm.
People who are vegetarian for health and animal rights issues tend to do their thing and no more force their ideas on others than the Bacon Loving Hipster crowd.

Clearly you have never been out here. lol lol Militant veggies are the norm. The non-militant ones are the exception.

Feraud

Bartender
That's what I'm told. The more I hear about other areas the more I love the NYC area.
Despite the huge number of different types of people interacting with each other on a daily basis we get along incredibly well.

That's what I'm told. The more I hear about other areas the more I love the NYC area.
Despite the huge number of different types of people interacting with each other on a daily basis we get along incredibly well.
I think it is just that either people keep that kind of thing below the surface or the people who are idiots and like to pop off all the time here would get shouted down and told off there much faster. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic