Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Dressing inappropriately for the weather, then complaining about the weather. If it's 30*, yes, you will be cold in a tank top, mini skirt and sandals.

And by the same logic, you look like a complete fool with a toboggan on your head and a scarf around your neck with your skinny jeans and too-small-T-shirt in the summer time.

And yes, I am aware that in some parts of the country a toboggan is a sled, but here in central Alabama they are a winter hat. Some places they call 'em watch caps or tooks, those terms sound as weird down here as calling it a sled up there. People don't have sleds down here because it only snows every once in a never. If by strange chance it does we just play on old cardboard boxes or trash can lids.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Women* who wear sunglasses in ALL weather.

*I've noticed that generally, women do this more than men.

Here they're usually skinny, gaunt-faced, overdressed middle-aged white women with skin the texture of an old baseball glove, trailing a cloud of cologne and nicotine. They will also wear heeled sandals, no matter what the weather, and always drink too much when they go out.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here they're usually skinny, gaunt-faced, overdressed middle-aged white women with skin the texture of an old baseball glove, trailing a cloud of cologne and nicotine. They will also wear heeled sandals, no matter what the weather, and always drink too much when they go out.

Sounds like a pack of FSU women to me. (Married one, even though her skin's not leathery, she doesn't smoke, and prefers flats or Mary Janes!) :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flip flops in the snow.

Urgh... cheap flip flops period. I don't know how anyone wears them they are so uncomfortable. Even worse that some people think they are an all occassion shoe. Beach? Flip Flops. Out to a nice dinner? Flip Flops. 100 degrees out? Flip Flops. -20 degrees out? Flip Flops. Going garage saling? Flip Flops. Wedding? Flip Flops. Hanging around your house? Flip Flops. Meeting the president? Flip Flops.

I used to have to tell students that flip flops are NOT considered business casual dress for their final presentations.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Not sure if it is modern or not but men's pants hanging below their azz. Sorry will accept most fashion but I will never understand how anyone thinks this is cool!

Not sure if it is modern or not but men's pants hanging below their azz. Sorry will accept most fashion but I will never understand how anyone thinks this is cool!

Especially given the origin of the look. In the joint a dude wears his britches saggin down like that to let others know he's up for a little man hole work.

A pet peeve of mine is people of either sex who wear sunglasses indoors and/or at night. This seems especially common with celebrities and rock-star types. It bugs the crap out of me when they do it during interviews.

People that wear sunglasses indoors and/or at night are usually hopped up on something.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Now I agree with everyone who does not like sunglasses worn indoors, but I sometimes do because I have cheaters built into all of my len's because now that I have advanced a little in age. I can't see without them, so sometimes I must put them on just to read. I must admit that I will get a few strange looks or comments but I am not trying to be cool just see.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
People that wear sunglasses indoors and/or at night are usually hopped up on something.

I wear sunglasses inside at work, if I can't find my regular ones.
Nothing wrong with it gear-guy.
Just to make sure, on occasion (when I have them on inside) I go ahead and say "no autographs at this time." :D
I do get funny looks when wearing them in the rain, until I tell people they cut the glare (polarized), and I can see better.
Once they try it, they realize sunglasses in the rain isn't such a bad idea.

A pet peeve of mine is people of either sex who wear sunglasses indoors and/or at night. This seems especially common with celebrities and rock-star types. It bugs the crap out of me when they do it during interviews.
My eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light, so I wear sunglasses regularly. Normally I remove them indoors, but at my last place of employment I wore them at my desk occasionally because my computer monitor gave me headaches regardless of the brightness setting. Also, I sometimes wear them in stores/shops with overly-bright fluorescent lighting for the same reason.

Especially given the origin of the look. In the joint a dude wears his britches saggin down like that to let others know he's up for a little man hole work.
Although this is the popular belief, it's nothing more than urban legend. The truth is that prisons aren't particularly well stocked with regards to the clothing issued to prisoners and, since belts aren't allowed in most prisons, some inmates were/are forced to wear pants that are too large for them.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light, so I wear sunglasses regularly. Normally I remove them indoors, but at my last place of employment I wore them at my desk occasionally because my computer monitor gave me headaches regardless of the brightness setting. Also, I sometimes wear them in stores/shops with overly-bright fluorescent lighting for the same reason.

Although this is the popular belief, it's nothing more than urban legend. The truth is that prisons aren't particularly well stocked with regards to the clothing issued to prisoners and, since belts aren't allowed in most prisons, some inmates were/are forced to wear pants that are too large for them.

It's half and half here.
Part of it is the lack of proper jean size (here they allow belts in certain sections and the inmates are required to wear them), and part of it is DH's explanation. As for those locked up for a long time, they get a jump suit, or scrubs.

Something modern I'll miss?
Hallmark Christmas movies, like the ones I'll be forced to watch at the inlaws.
The names are as goofy as the movie.
Single Santa Seeking Mrs. Claus. (I knew of this one and looked up the other 2)
Meet The Santas
The Santa Incident
Rudolph Roasting Over An Open Fire. (okay I made that one up) :D

While I like some of the classics, even the "new" classics such as A Christmas Story, these Hallmark ones have got to stop.
Even if I ask Santa about this, he'll probably say "you'll shoot your eye out kid."

Last edited:

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
As per some training I received from work yesterday, the average child's birthday party includes 15 or more guests (plus parents), the average gift received is worth $20-$25, and the average loot bag costs $8-$15.

No wonder my kids feel ripped off when their party is some snacks and cake at the park with a handful of friends.

As per some training I received from work yesterday, the average child's birthday party includes 15 or more guests (plus parents), the average gift received is worth $20-$25, and the average loot bag costs $8-$15.

No wonder my kids feel ripped off when their party is some snacks and cake at the park with a handful of friends.

I guess we're way below average in that area too. Although my kids are usually pretty fired up for a party in the park.

And the parents are probably at another table consuming adult beverages. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum