Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What's That Ungodly Stink?" - French Cheese Surprises

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kodou said:
I've only just started buying cheese by the block, and even then only parmesan until I can afford the parmigiano reggiano. I can never go back to that stuff in the green can.
I have a question the posters here: What do you with your rinds? (besides eating them plain, of course) I was looking for interesting recipes where throwing in the rinds would be nice lil' treat.

The stuff in the green can is disgusting and should be lit on fire.

Rinds of proper parmigiano-reggiano may be melted into a risotto.

dnjan

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
I'm not real exotic on cheeses yet, my big vice is the longest-aged Cheddars I can find. (Anyone have any recommendations in this area at 3 years or longer?)
Have you had Beecher's Flagship Reserve? From Beecher's factory, down at the market. It would probably fool most Brits.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
St. Marcellin amateurs in the US? Amazing!
Try a salad of lettuce leaves, maybe some julienne-cut chicory leaves (and any fresh "veg" you wish, tomato, mushroom) sprinkle with pecan oil (pecan oil? :eek: I can't say the exact word in English, "huile de noix") or with a "vinaigrette" (preferably non-sweet dressing made of oil and some type vinegar), topped with a moderately oven-melted St. Marcellin (well, half of one, or a slice). You might add some shredded cooked ham. Great starter. With mmm... try a Cabernet Franc or, of course, a good California Chardonnay.

St. Marcellin is on the route of the old Rallye de Monte Carlo. Wherein 2 liter Porsches drove the rest to the shreds they merit to be :eek:fftopic:

I like cheese mostly in the evening. When circumstances favor the consumption of good wine. The Camembert I can't hack at lunch then becomes a gift from God. My favorites? There are so many! One of my preferred blue cheeses (these don't go with DRY red wine AT ALL) is Cabrales. Divine. Other blue ones I like are Stilton and a good Roquefort.

We eat cheese with bread, not like the English, salt crackers. I have cheese daily for breakfast: low-fat commercial junk and I'm addicted to several of the commercial "Boursin" cheeses, full fat creamy cheese with added herbs. Never eat serial smack crackle and pot...

Whilst France and, perhaps to a slightly lesser degree, Italy remain the top artisanal cheese producers, Spain makes good ones and, somewhat surprisingly, England. To be entirely just, Greece makes the only fetta, and Campania the only mozzarella. And Holland makes very good "slice" cheese.

Whilst I don't know them, I would like to applaud the small American garage-cheeseries. Surely they do better than canned pasteurized Camembert.

Paul

dnjan, not yet. I'm out in the 'burbs, don't drive and usually prefer to avoid downtown.

Have to check them out sometime... my usual cheesemonger for specialized stuff is Renton Thriftway. (Don't let the name fool you--it might be a supermarket, but they have all kinds of goodies in addition to the standard stuff...)

dnjan

One Too Many
Agree with avoiding downtown. I only take the bus downtown (never drive).

I assume you missed the cheese festival this past weekend (at the market). Locals plus imports. I actually got tired of tasting cheese about 2/3 of the way through. There were probably at least 30 non-goat cheeses (I can't eat goat cheese), plus 10 or 15 different (either type or producer) goats. Plus a variety of artisan breads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo