Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What's That Ungodly Stink?" - French Cheese Surprises

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love cheese!
When I was in England I had this moldy cheese that smelled kinda good, but the first bite was AWFUL! But I kept eating it on my little crackers and it got better and better! Unfortunately, I don't know what it was called.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Blue enthusiasts should see if you can track down a New Zeland one, Kikorangi from the Kapiti Cheese crowd. It is beautiful, and won a stack of awards.

If you can get it where you live (I know they export) try it, another one for the cheeseboard.

matei

One Too Many
Morbier is very good, but can be quite pungent.

Saint Nectaire is also one of my favourites, but you need to get it when it is soft. It has a unique taste, reminiscent of hazelnut.

Brie de Meaux is one of my fave cheeses as well.

Also from France, you can't beat a good Crottin de Chavignol.

In spite of the name, Stinking Bishop isn't all that stinky. Morbier is more... let's say "aromatic" than Stinking Bishop. Even Camembert has a stronger aroma than the aul Bishop.

A good UK cheese that I recently tried is Stickleton (sp?), from the same region as Stilton, but made from unpasteurised cheese. It has a livelier taste than Stilton in my opinion.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
matei said:
A good UK cheese that I recently tried is Stickleton (sp?), from the same region as Stilton, but made from unpasteurised cheese. It has a livelier taste than Stilton in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation Matei. Being a Stilton fan, I'm going to have to hunt that one down!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I lived in France with a family and every night at dinner we had a different kind of cheese. Now THAT was an adventure...

I actually really liked Roquefort--the real thing, made right there--we ate it with butter. And the French really do stay thin. Baffling. Nothing like sea green and royal blue attacking your pure white cheese....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
Digestives are biscuits! Biscuits are cookies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestive_biscuit

A digestive biscuit, sometimes referred to as a sweetmeal biscuit, is a British semi-sweet biscuit. The name "digestive" comes from a belief that the biscuits had antacid properties due to the use of bicarbonate of soda when they were first conceived.

250px-Digestive_biscuits.jpg

The -closest- thing in terms of flavor but -not- texture is the graham cracker, due to the wheat they are made of being very similar.

Best with tea..and some chocolate coating. ;)

But I can see that with certain cheese they would be good as well.

Highly addictive, and unfortunatly for me, pricey in the US.

D....who really just needs to move back

matei

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I dunno Matei, I used to work on a deli counter and the Bishop was definitely more pungent than Camembert, though I have never experienced Morbier.

Perhaps I tried a mild batch (?) of the Bishop... a mildy offensive Bishop instead of the stinking variety?

The Morbier is strong stuff though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
thebadmamajama said:
And the French really do stay thin. Baffling.
I read this initially as "Barfing." :eusa_doh: (oh that's how they do it...)

Thankfully not. American health nuts tend to focus on the (bangs fist on table) SMALL PORTION SIZES FOR $%&&!& SAKES YOU BIG LIVESTOCK-LIKE PEOPLE JUST STUFF YOURSELVES NOT LIKE THOSE EVOLVED AND HIGHLY SELF DENYING EUROPEANS, without paying much attention to the French traditions of:
1. Flavor
2. Quality
3. Variety
and 4. Care in preparation.

These things make you not want to stuff yourself, because each food item is so satisfying. I don't imagine the average Frenchperson feels the need to deny themselves to stay svelte.

But back to cheese. Mmmmm cheesy cheese...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fletch said:
the French traditions of:
1. Flavor
2. Quality
3. Variety

These things make you not want to stuff yourself, because each food item is so satisfying. I don't imagine the average Frenchperson feels the need to deny themselves to stay svelte.
I would add that the French generally do not rush their meals as we have a tendency to do in the America. Studies have shown that the slower you eat, the less you'll eat. But then, we also seem to have an all consuming desire to be satiated.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Blue enthusiasts should see if you can track down a New Zeland one, Kikorangi from the Kapiti Cheese crowd. It is beautiful, and won a stack of awards.

If you can get it where you live (I know they export) try it, another one for the cheeseboard.

Smithy- try some Danish Blue.

Smithy- have you ever tried a NZ wine from Northland, called White Lightning..?

You need to describe the Norwegian brown cheese.

B
T

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the French traditions of:
1. Flavor
2. Quality
3. Variety

I would add that the French generally do not rush their meals as we have a tendency to do in the America. Studies have shown that the slower you eat, the less you'll eat. But then, we also seem to have an all consuming desire to be satiated.

True true and true! (and sorry for the double quoting)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Smithy- try some Danish Blue.

Smithy- have you ever tried a NZ wine from Northland, called White Lightning..?

You need to describe the Norwegian brown cheese.

B
T

Hi BT, we eat Rosenborg blue fairly frequently, great stuff.

Haven't tried White Lightning but had a couple of tasty wines from Waiheke Island ;)

And good old Norwegian "brunost"! I wasn't keen on it initially but like it now. For those not in the know, it's a fairly sweet brown cheese, some are cow's milk and others are goat's milk (geitost). It's very good on waffles and used in sauces, especially in "viltsaus" - a gravyish sauce for game dishes. Grouse (rype) with viltsaus is one of the best tasting dishes on the planet. The cheese itself though is definitely an acquired taste.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Inspired by all the blue talk, I bought a good sized wedge of Stilton, a box of Carr's Water Crackers and some pears. Be tucking into it shortly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo