Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What's That Ungodly Stink?" - French Cheese Surprises

Rouge et Noir Schloss

From their website: "...a cheese lover’s delight since 1901! For those who remember *Liederkranz®, you’ll love Schloss!
Smear ripened and aged for up to 5 months, this artisan crafted cheese is often a favorite with chefs who appreciate a pungent cheese who’s flavor isn’t lost among other robust fresh ingredients..."

http://www.marinfrenchcheese.com/Store/Cheese/CheeseProducts.aspx?prod_id=106&CatgroupId=1&CatId=1

I bought this as recently as two years ago, and did enjoy it.

Hey, why do I remember Liederkranz? Wikipedia call it extinct? From wiki: "...In spite of its German-sounding name, Liederkranz cheese was a United States innovation, a recreation of Limburger cheese that was subtly different because the bacterial culture that ripened it was not the same. Liederkranz is an extinct cheese...' ???

I did try Limburger once, a long time ago. Liked the taste, but the smell put the kibosh on it for me. Maybe one more time before I die...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to be a professional cheese monger in San Francisco for years. I ran the cheese department, ordered and stocked them. A blast. My favorites are parmigiano reggiano and taleggio. I like taleggio that has the salt crystals that have risen to the surface and yes, I eat the rind. I have to have red wine of some sort when I eat cheese. I like a hearty california zinfandel with stronger cheeses. Baguette, too. For blues I like gorgonzola dolce the best. Goats: I like the crottins from France wrapped in wax paper. But some Californa crottins are lovely too. Sheeps: I like young pecorinos from southern Italy; pecorino sardo from (you guessed it) Sardinia is nice when it's from a smaller maker and not too commercial-tasting. It's hard to find unpasteurized young cheeses here but you can get "flash pasteurized" brie from a company which makes a large format Brie de Meaux and smaller format Brie de Nangis. Those are the best French bries I have had in the US. In Northern California there are many small cheese makers, sort of analogous to the microbreweries.
I like Morbier fine but yes the rind, when it's moist and sticky, used to stink up my clothes. I began to wear a white lab coat when I worked in the cheese section.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doran said:
In Northern California there are many small cheese makers, sort of analogous to the microbreweries.
Dozens of artisanal makers have sprouted up in Wisconsin over the last twenty years or so. Charlie Trotter swears by them. [huh]

Dr Doran

Tomasso said:
Dozens of artisanal makers have sprouted up in Wisconsin over the last twenty years or so. Charlie Trotter swears by them. [huh]

That's really wonderful. My people tell me that southern Wisconsin, especially Madison, has many of the good things about northern california.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
My favorite cheese is the French St Felicien. I have not found it in the US anywhere, as it is unpasteurized (drat!). St Marcellin is close to St Felicien, though slightly stronger, and I have found that here pretty regularly, though it's nowhere near as good.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Okay, I start a cheese thread 'cause I like the curds, and Scotrace resumes a cheese thread from July of last year?

Sorry to step on the old guards toes, no offense intended.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
No cheese impingement here, old sport.

If we're talking about cheeses, this thread is an 'also see:' That's all. The "old guard" has no agenda beyond helping.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Ah, I see. I interpreted this as a sign to be careful when choosing new thread topics, not evidence of cheesy enthusiasm.

Happy to know I gave no offense, and happier still to see I am not alone in my addiction to the mouldering milk.
My compliments, BTW, on the story you recalled to start this particular thread. True curdophiles know that extraordinary taste sensations sometimes lurk in a lump that smells like the armpit of an egg collector's corpse.
Well done.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Cheese has to stink or it just isn't cheese, doesn't it?

Sandwich for contmeplative alone time:

Very dark, pumpernickel ("devil's farts")
Limburger cheese
big slice brown onion
salt and pepper

eat with beer or coffee (or both) and follow with a cigar

Now enjoy all that lovely loneliness.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I love cheese

Gruyere
Brie
Mozzarella
Gorgonzola
Gouda
Provolone
Parmigiano-Reggiano

Cotija
and last but not least Cheddar

Swiss not so much

Idledame

Practically Family
My gosh, just the idea of working in a cheese shop.....I could walk right by any kind of dessert to get to the cheeses. And isn't it just totally maddening that by the time you develop a taste for exotic cheeses and are earning enough to be able to indulge yourself it isn't long until you find out you have high cholesterol and are told to lay off dairy and fats. It just isn't fair!!

Dr Doran

I like the St Marcellin too, a whole lot!
For an almost unpasteurized (that is, "flash pasteurized") non-industrial Brie, I must AGAIN AND AGAIN trumpet the name of Brie de Nangis and Fromage de Meaux, both made from the same people in France, the two cheeses being different only in size. Brilliant, stinky bastards that will make you swear off the cheap industrial Brie FOREVAH.

Dr Doran

Surely small amounts of fine cheese, alongside red wine to cut the fat, apples to aid digestion, and crusty bread, when combined with plenty of exercise, can be occasionally indulged in even by those with some cholesterol issues.

kodou

New in Town
I've only just started buying cheese by the block, and even then only parmesan until I can afford the parmigiano reggiano. I can never go back to that stuff in the green can.
I have a question the posters here: What do you with your rinds? (besides eating them plain, of course) I was looking for interesting recipes where throwing in the rinds would be nice lil' treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo