Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Story with "Apprentice Made" from Aero

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I was looking at the Aero site, saw the jackets they had on sale (no long waits), and there was a bunch that was discounted due to being "apprentice made." What exactly does that mean in the real world? I suppose they wouldn't let anything out that was too sub-standard, but there must be some noticeable differences and/or mistakes to explain the lower price.

You answered your own question.
Minor issues. Some might not even be noticeable. Some they actually list.
I'd get one if I wanted it and the price were right.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It also looks like some of the hides are thinner and not the same as the premium hides. Specially many of the steerhides look alot thinner then Aeros usual steerhide.

But there are many that are normal hides aswell, and some are even thicker than normal. Just look closely at the pics and read the info so you know what you buy.

Imperfections I have seen have been front bottom not equal length, a little scew sewing around pockets and also some that seems to have been sewn a little wierd so the jacket doesn´t hang as straight as the normal ones.

Die-Motte

New in Town
I have bought a Highwayman in very heavy steerhide for my husband! The leather is great! In fact there are a few issues with the workmanship! I have noticed a few stitching holes for example. And the lining in the cuffs is not really perfect! But I think you will not notice any of it while you are wearing the jacket! It is definitely an Aero at a great price!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's exactly what it means - the jackets were made by the apprentices at Aero, not the master makers in the factory!
Is that true or is it the name they give to their seconds, regardless of who made them.

Die-Motte

New in Town
I think that is true! When I got my husband`s jacket I asked Amanda if there was a chance that an apprentice would make a size 48 Highwayman in brown and she replied that there will be no more new apprentice made jackets. All of Aero`s new machinists have now graduated and there are no new trainees left!

DonW

New in Town
I bought an apprentice made Highwayman in heavy oil pull steerhide last year and regard it as being excellent value for money, yes there were a few problems, the odd bit of stiching was a little wavy but only where it didn't show when worn, a pocket wasn't sewn properly and rather strangly the long seams in both sleeve linings weren't sewn, these last couple of faults were soon fixed with a needle and thread and I now wear it daily. A1 jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou