Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite Red Hair colour?

zombi

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
Henna is still my color of choice. After using it for so long though, my curls have been smoothed out. I want long, curly, red hair and it seems I can have long and curly but not red, or long and red but not curly, or curly and red but not long! :D
Well, I don't know if it's helpful for you to know or not, but if you ever wanted to attempt henna again -- the herb amla can be added to a henna mix to help keep your curl from smoothing out. It can also be used on its own in washing to help bring curl back. :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Like most of you, I too have been all shades of different reds! Actually, I've been all kinds of different colors through my 20's! But now I'm sticking to red because I think it suits me best. I get my hair professionally done and the stylist uses Wella hair dyes on me. I will have to say that I love The Wella line!

3773680364_5edaaef5e4.jpg

WoW. Love. It.

How i will get myself from my dark brown to this, i do not know. But that is fabulous.:)

Loren Taylor

New in Town
I recently became a redhead (and LOVE it!) but my eyebrows seem a little off with the new colour and i was thinking of dyeing them the same colour or just lightening them.. does anybody here do that.. or do you just leave them dark?

zombi

A-List Customer
Loren Taylor said:
I recently became a redhead (and LOVE it!) but my eyebrows seem a little off with the new colour and i was thinking of dyeing them the same colour or just lightening them.. does anybody here do that.. or do you just leave them dark?
My eyebrows are kind of a dark blonde-brown anyway, but I use a powder and angle brush to redden them. [huh] It's called umm "Strawburn" and they sell it at Sephora.

I've always been too scared to dye my eyebrows, hahahaha!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I use Revlon Colorsilk in #42 (which is, ironically, the answer to life, the universe, and everything, even hair color!). It's ammonia free, so my house doesn't smell to high heaven after I use it. I buy it at Wal*mart for less than $3 US, and since I use very gentle shampoo and conditioner (Lush's Trichomania and Jungle) or shampoo and conditioner made for colored hair, it doesn't ever fade-- I only recolor when root growth makes it necessary.

I have medium ash blonde hair red undertones, so I get a really rich, medium auburn, more red than is on the box. I've been using this color for about 2 years now, but I also use #45, which is a brighter red with less brown.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
since I use very gentle shampoo and conditioner (Lush's Trichomania and Jungle) or shampoo and conditioner made for colored hair, it doesn't ever fade-- I only recolor when root growth makes it necessary.

Really? Your red doesn't fade? Gosh. Mine fades noticeably even just 2 weeks after colouring it. I had no idea reds would do that so badly. Do you really think the shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair makes that much of a difference?

I do the cold water rinse and try to shampoo less often (tricky with oily scalp) but I still find I want to use a demi to boost it up in between permanent colourings.

I have been using Loreal Superior Preference in intense red copper, but the way I understand it brand doesn't make much difference, all reds fade.

When it comes to reds, the more grays I get I find them harder to cover. I have always used Loreal Feria or Preference but have one really stubborn spot on my temple that would not hold the color and blend with the rest of my hair. I just switched to Loreal Excellence Creme and it works like a dream! I now get coverage on that stubborn spot! I am using 7R Red Penny and it's perfect but I hear it is hard to find. I got mine on clearance at Target but may have to buy it online in the future.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
kymeratale said:
Really? Your red doesn't fade? Gosh. Mine fades noticeably even just 2 weeks after colouring it. I had no idea reds would do that so badly. Do you really think the shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair makes that much of a difference?

I was actually amazed when it stopped fading! I don't think the color-treated shampoo stops fading, it just doesn't enhance it. I've noticed anything with essential oils or extracts or citrus makes it fade like crazy. My hair used to go from medium auburn to an almost blonde color in a month.

Trichomania was reccomended by a sales associate. It's got a light scent, and it's mostly made of creamed coconut. Jungle is basically a fruit salad for your hair, made mostly of coco butter. There's not a lot in either product to cause it to fade.

My hair color is maybe half a shade lighter at the end of the month, and my guess is that's from sun exposure.

Basically, any super-gentle shampoo and conditioner should be fine.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I like Revlon Colorsilk as well. Less than $4 most places and fairly non-damaging. I use #53 Light Auburn, but I've also used the medium auburn shade, whichs turns into a super vibrant red on me - very similar to Emily Blunt's color in The Devil Wears Prada.

MaryDeluxe said:
Like most of you, I too have been all shades of different reds! Actually, I've been all kinds of different colors through my 20's! But now I'm sticking to red because I think it suits me best. I get my hair professionally done and the stylist uses Wella hair dyes on me. I will have to say that I love The Wella line!

3773680364_5edaaef5e4.jpg

Mary do you know what the Wella red you have done is called?

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm actually loving the new Live Colour XXL Reds range by Schwarzkopf. I don't know what it is with Schwarzkopf but it just seems to agree with my hair (thick curly dry) and give it a shine.

I used Dark Spice and it's a bit darker than I wanted, but it's ok. It covered up a disaster of ginger roots from a Feria Colour which was just awful...

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
CherryRed...This was last summer...and I'm always tweaking the formula...so unfortunately I don't remember... but you should ask your hair dresser to see the line of salon red examples Wella has. I bet you could figure it out that way and get close to the color in that picture!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried No Gray with red hair color? Apparently you add it to your hair color and it allows the dye to permeate the gray hair so it covers longer. One of the women I work with swears by it and I'm definitely going to try it next week when I do my hair again. I have a stubborn cluster of gray/white right in my bangs that sheds color within two days after dye application. Grrrrr. I'll let you know how it goes.

amygeorgina

New in Town
Just to add my twopenneth to the conversation: I use Schwarzkopf Live, have done for years, even though the smell is horrid and burns my eyes, thought I think they've changed their formulation, I no longer burn the back of my head!

I used to use Red Night, which was very dark and lush, then I was using Red Passion which was lovely. They seem to have stopped doing this so, lately I've been using a brighter red, it's a new one, Cool Scarlet it's called (I only remember because my daughter is Scarlett!)

Then this weekend, in a hurry, they didn't have the Scarlet one, so bought a different shade, want to say Real Red but I can't remember, but it's gone really orange at the roots, fine for some but not what I was after, I want a kind of Florence (and the Machine) Welch colour.

So, I'm going to try a La Riche Directions in Pillarbox Red that I first used years ago (although it was only streaks which I bleached first). Wish me luck!! I know it won't go totally red, but if I can at least tone the orange down. Sadly my sister has proper bright red hair and I'm kind of forbidden from going the same route (even though she was blonde and I was always the red head!)

This is my sis (and my OH)
35579_10150213634130506_627520505_13033610_8003970_n.jpg

And me map reading when my hair was a slightly different red:
10726_287613200505_627520505_8992037_5294093_n.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I like that colour on you...tish and nonsense to your sis! Go red!!

I used one of the new Red XXL Live on my hair and Im not happy...all it's done is dye the roots orange.

any advice?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
vintage_jayhawk said:
Can anyone recommend a good semi-permanent red hair dye? I'm really wanting to go red, but I'm a little nervous to do something permanent. I love Christina Hendricks hair color!
christina-hendricks.asp19126img1.jpg
You may not be able to get her color with semi-perm color. If your natural hair is darker, it won't work. Semi-perm colors can not lift (meaning make lighter), only deposit color. The same goes for if you have any kind of perm color already on the hair. With semi-perm colors, you can only change shades (from dark brown to dark red, golden blond to beige blond) or darker. The other thing to keep in mind is that if your hair has been chemically treated before, either color or a perm/relaxer, a semi-perm can grab and act like a perm color.

amygeorgina

New in Town
Kitty_Sheridan said:
I used one of the new Red XXL Live on my hair and Im not happy...all it's done is dye the roots orange.

YES!! This is the problem I've had, all orange at the roots, not good!! Am going to try a La Riche Directions in Pillarbox Red, it's a semi permanent but was hoping it might give it a redder tone, we'll see, will report back this evening.

If that fails, am going to try the Live XXL in Red Passion and hope it's not the one that has just turned me orange, I must start remembering them or keeping the box lids as they recommend!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner