Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your game?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Alternative title for this thread could be, "Show us your Golden Era Games"
We've all probably got a few favorites. My number one would have to be chess.:) Followed by other perennial favorites such as Backgammon,Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, and more recent games like Stratego and last but not least the 3M/Avalon Hill bookshelf series of games which came in many forms from strategy to role playing.
So, what's your game?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid I spent many happy hours playing Scrabble with my grandmother. A couple other favorite very vintage board games were Sorry, Parchesi and Chinese checkers. Chinese checkers was cool because you used real marbles, which could have an infinite array of beautiful colors.
Oh, did you ever play Cootie, with that cool plastic creature? I was always a total disaster at Monopoly tho.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes, that plastic creature. I had one of those now that you mention it. Wish I still had it as it was from our neighbor's garage and fairly old at the time it was given to me. Forgot to give a nod to Milton Bradley's "Dogfight", now that was a cool game. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Board games! Nothing better on a rainy weekend. We played endless, endless games of Monopoly, Sorry, and Parcheesi, along with the home-game versions of Concentration and Jeopardy. (I still have all of these.) Chess and checkers were also popular, along with the occasional round of Yahtzee.

In addition we played a lot of card games. My mother used to play penny-ante poker with some of the other gals around the neighborhood and she taught me to play when I was six years old -- and she played for keeps, too. Getting skinned out of your pennies by your own mother is *not* fun. I also used to play cribbage with my Aunt Mildred, but she didn't believe in gambling for real -- so all I had to lose was matchsticks.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Also forgot to mention dominoes. Played a lot with my mom. Gotta get a pic of an old chess set I recently acquired posted here. Plastic, but nonetheless unusual and I think not too common.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dominoes!

Easy to play and so attractively black and white.

I also love Scrabble, but I do not know if it is truly a Golden Era game...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm so all about Scrabble. I love playing on a board but I'm a modern girl - I think playing online is better!

Flivver

Practically Family
I was crazy over Monopoly all through childhood but particularly in high school. My best friend and I played at least one game a day during the summer (yes...we were geeks).

We even tripled the size of the board with two board extensions. I recall that the triple size Monopoly we created was very sensitive to the initial amount of cash and tha amount of "Go". It took us quite a bit of experimentation to get those right to ensure that a reasonable length of play was achieved.

But, as I recall, after a month or so of experimentation, the expanded game worked quite well.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I play canasta. It's fun. But I need to find some other people who can play. Farkle is fun too. And dominoes.

Not a big fan of Monopoly, it's the game that never ends.

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
Not played a board game for ages!

We have Trivial Pursuit, Yahtzee, a Chess set, and of course playing cards at home.

I love Monopoly, that is a great winter evening / weekend game. My parents had a really old (60s?) edition of Monopoly.

Do jigsaws count?

Inky

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
When I was a kid I spent many happy hours playing Scrabble with my grandmother. A couple other favorite very vintage board games were Sorry, Parchesi and Chinese checkers. Chinese checkers was cool because you used real marbles, which could have an infinite array of beautiful colors.
Oh, did you ever play Cootie, with that cool plastic creature? I was always a total disaster at Monopoly tho.

Oooo Cootie!! I love that game and have two late 40's versions. I put one together in my favorite colors from between the two boxes and had a tattoo done of it for my 40's birthday. Along with my Jacks, done years earlier, another favorite game.

2765448870_a5e435c1d8.jpg

I love Parchesi, Monopoly and Scrabble. Never was very good at chess though, but checkers is fun too!

Great thread!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Pinochle for four, gin for two, and scopa for either two or three. More than that -- pinochle on rotation by game.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Alternative title for this thread could be, "Show us your Golden Era Games"
We've all probably got a few favorites. My number one would have to be chess.:) Followed by other perennial favorites such as Backgammon,Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, and more recent games like Stratego and last but not least the 3M/Avalon Hill bookshelf series of games which came in many forms from strategy to role playing.
So, what's your game?

I love Avalon Hill games, used to play them all the time. Fury in the west, Stalingrad, The Guns of August, then some toy company bought them out and ruined the whole thing.

Last edited:

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I have mentioned this before in other threads, but I am a huge fan of the board game Go. Invented in China and refined in Japan, it was very popular in Asia during the golden era. In fact, the club I belong to was founded by the Japanese player Iwamoto Kaoru who was playing a championship game outside of Hiroshima the day the atomic bomb was dropped.

Here is an article from Life magazine, May 18 1942 that describes the game. Outside of the racially charged language, it is a very good introduction to the game and is an interesting look at how the game was perceived during WWII.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran