Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does this jacket date from?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970s-LEA...UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item1c28a62219

The vendor says this is a 1970s leather jacket. Now, I know very little about leather jackets, but i do remember the 1970s and this jacket just looks too sleek for that period. The leather covered 'football' buttons, the label (I know clothing labels sometimes stay the same for years - but this just doesn't say 70s to me), the neat collar shape and the quality of the lining: all suggests the jacket could be much earlier.

What do others think?

I see what you're saying. And, yes, sometimes you'll dig up a gem badly listed (I recently grabbed a late 40s British (!) A-1 style (!) jacket that was claimed to be 70s.

BUT, I would reckon 70s is pretty close on this one. That looks suspiciously like the telltale garment care label in the side seam of the liner. The liner itself looks like viscose, and that shiny green-ness of it, along with the handwarmer pockets in those terrible straps down the front (what are those about (?!?), tell me 70s. The collar, though well executed, is very much in the "does 30s" mold.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner