Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is Straw Hat Day?

duggap

Banned
Straw hat day

There was recently a thread on that but I didn't find it to direct you to it. Maybe some one who is better versed in computers can do it. But the gist is when ever you feel right about it, then go for it. I don't think we have any rules for our generation. I made up my own rule. If it is cool enough for a jacket or coat then I wear felt, but if I don't need a coat or jacket I wear my straw. :rolleyes:

S

Samsa

I've been wearing straws (when appropriate) for the last few weeks now. But, as Orgetorix said, tomorrow is straw hat day proper.

vonwotan

Practically Family
AAARGH!

It raining on Straw Hat Day. :(

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a second straw hat, nor do I have a workhorse straw to wear on days when it threatens rain...

How much do other loungers worry about the rain when wearing straw?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last Tuesday in LA it was 97 so I replaced my felt with a Panama for the weekly vintage car cruise-in. Today at a high of 72 I'll go back to felt. In this region the old car guys wear straw year round- Panamas, planters' hats and such. Too bad I can't get them to see the coolness of switching to felt fedoras part of the time:)

The bottom line is go with feels right for the weather.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

When do you wear a straw hat? I posed that very question about a month ago. I got a barrage of answers, not all of them nice, and the consensus was: You pop the straw on your head when you feel like it.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
SamReu said:
I got a barrage of answers, not all of them nice, and the consensus was: You pop the straw on your head when you feel like it.

That's about right. Straw Hat Day, when you historically would exchange your felts for straw, was yesterday (May 15). However, with so many different climates throughout the US (and world for that matter) it doesn't make sense to wait until May to wear straws. There are also days after May 15 on which a felt is more appropriate. When it rains you want to be wearing a felt, not a straw hat, regarless of the date on the calendar.

Conversely, Felt Hat Day is September 15. Historically men would punch a hole through their summer straw and bring the felts back out. Once again though, the temperature on a late September day may be hot enough to warrant a straw.

Don't think of them as rules, but rather as traditions. We observe the dates, even if we don't necessarily follow the "rules". The best day to wear a straw is when you feel like it and the weather agrees.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I observed Straw Hat Day yesterday:

Boater2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy