Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When seagulls attack (and other fowl play)

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Thin morning I narrowly avoided bombardment from some seagulls. This is an unfortunate but every day reality of coastal living. So that got me to thinking; what is the best way to deal with this sort of “dirt?” Is water fine or should special precautions be taken?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Vermifuge, I know you're frustrated at not having received any responses, yet. The problem is rare, but not unheard of. I'm therefore going to offer a humble suggestion. First try to gently remove as much of the bird dung as possible, WITHOUT SMEARING IT OR SPREADING IT. Then let the remainder dry for a day or two. When good and dry, go at it with a dry toothbrush (preferably an old one that you no longer use). Chances are you can brush it all out. If not, the next resort would be a hat sponge or sandpaper. When
spot cleaning, liquids can spread a stain and leave a ring, and you certainly don't want either of those.

RBH

Bartender
Dont know how I missed this one Vermi..
Treat your fedora with Scouts Rain & Stain, that stuff works. I have not had your 'almost' problem but I have taken water and sprayed my hat after treatment and the water just beads right off. That said, your hat will and can get wet, after so much water it will start to soak in, but a light coating every so often should help keep your fedora in great shape.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Dont know how I missed this one Vermi..
Treat your fedora with Scouts Rain & Stain, that stuff works. I have not had your 'almost' problem but I have taken water and sprayed my hat after treatment and the water just beads right off. That said, your hat will and can get wet, after so much water it will start to soak in, but a light coating every so often should help keep your fedora in great shape.

sounds good. should i Google it or is there a trusted supplier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails