Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear (season) a tweed sports coat

CapnAHAB

New in Town
Top of the morning all.

I'm about to pop into our city centre to purchase a lovley new Harris Tweed sports jacket. Are they a seasonal jacket for specific seasons or an all rounder?

I'd like to wear it out this weekend on our Annual Lads Christmas Shop (which is, in effect, an excuse to go to Cardiff and imbibe all day...)

Given that its around 0 degrees C at the moment will it be aceptable to wear tweed sports jacket with a jumper / shirt combo? I'd imagine i'd be pretty toasy after that (plus after a few gin's i'd imagine one would be rather toasty anyway..)

Hal

Practically Family
Top of the morning all.
...Harris Tweed sports jacket...a seasonal jacket for specific seasons or an all rounder?
Autumn + winter + spring, I'd say.
Given that its around 0 degrees C at the moment will it be acceptable to wear a tweed sports jacket with a jumper / shirt combo?
Certainly - such a jacket is very versatile indeed. I wear mine either with shirt and tie or with a roll-necked jumper, and would take it off in a heated interior. You have to decide whether it's the outermost layer or not - a jacket-equivalent or an overcoat-equivalent - as it's not waterproof and needs to be covered in snow or rain.

CapnAHAB

New in Town
Thanks Hal - just what I was after.

It will be the outermost layer - i'd imagine i could ruin it in the snow / rain easily - but it looks like this weekend will remain dry.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks Hal - just what I was after.

It will be the outermost layer - i'd imagine i could ruin it in the snow / rain easily - but it looks like this weekend will remain dry.

I have worn both my wool overcoat and jacket in the snow many times: neither of these are waterproof, and yet I have not had any problems. Maybe this is because it was cold enough that the snow did not melt, and I dusted off the jackets before I got inside.
I wore my tweed flat cap in a downpour (for hours). The cap itself did not seem to change shape much, though now the lining sits a little funny.

Hal

Practically Family
I have worn both my wool overcoat and jacket in the snow many times: neither of these are waterproof, and yet I have not had any problems. Maybe this is because it was cold enough that the snow did not melt, and I dusted off the jackets before I got inside.
Although we are in the middle of an unusually cold spell for the season, our winters are milder and wetter than yours (average January temperature = 5C) and snow here is very wet; a raincoat with a winter lining is often better in the snow than is a wool overcoat.
I wore my tweed flat cap in a downpour (for hours). The cap itself did not seem to change shape much, though now the lining sits a little funny.
Glad you mentioned a tweed flat cap, for it goes with a tweed jacket very well. I wore a felt flat cap through a whole day of heavy rain; it absorbed a lot of water, but my head remained dry, and when it dried out I found that it had not changed shape at all.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wear a tweed jacket as soon as it is cold enough to need it, and then just add more layers, culminating in an overcoat as it gets colder, and then it remains until it is too warm to wear anymore in the spring. I really should get another odd jacket, so I am not wearing this tweed one all the time.

By the way, I wear my tweed out in light rain all the time, it is doing fine. For heavy rain, I would recommend a raincoat, and if it is cold enough to snow, an overcoat.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Tweed is traditionally a cool weather garment. You could wear it in June if the temperature stays low. Comfort should matter, so if it feels right, then wear it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Today you may wear tweed whenever it is comfortable. Over the decades, there have been various strong views on tweed - English and American cultures sometimes differing. For some, tweed is to be worn primarily in the country. For others it's only to be worn as casual wear, etc. In an era where the current eponymous hero of Doctor Who wears a vintage Harris, I would say all rules are off. I've always worn my Harris's whenever it's taken my fancy.

If it is cold then you can wear a Harris Tweed these days. It is nearing Harris Tweed all year around here for me.[huh]

Here is my latest acquisition from the 50s for $2.25:
!B9w-V3!Bmk~$(KGrHqV,!gsEy182,0!KBM6t1in!Uw~~0_14.JPG
I'll wear it as soon as it gets dry cleaned. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Personally, I don't wear tweed when temps are above 60°F or so but then I run a little warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR