Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear A-2 Dubow 20960 Contract (pic heavy).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, people, here we are... After tracking it all the way from Seattle, across the Atlantic, and then up to Glasgow, I took ownership of my GW Dubow this evening...

So, wielding a knife carefully, I prised open the box, which, all credit to John, was unlikely to be opened casually by anyone wondering what was inside...

So far, so good... and with no further ado... the big reveal!

It is, in short, absolutely stunning. The colour and grain of the Italian horsehide, the quality of construction, attention to detail, everything that you've heard about John's craftsmanship is true - there isn't a stray thread or stitch out of place. As always, the pics don't really capture the depth of colour and the light was fading, so hopefully when I do some fit pics later, I'll get a better representation of it.
Talking of which, the fit is absolutely spot-on. I won't lie, this was something I was genuinely fearful of. Sending a set of measurements to somebody thousands of miles away and expecting them to get it right on the first bounce is not something I do lightly, but John obviously has honed his art and it looks, as you'd expect, made for me: a close, but not overly-tight fit, I can probably get a light jumper under it, it sits about an inch beneath my belt, so it doesn't feel too short. Sleeve length is on the nail too, an area that I have perennial problems with and the one aspect I thought might have tripped John up. Thankfully, he didn't mention the final size of the jacket - a 40! As somebody who has spent his life in 36s and 38s, if he'd told me that was what he was going with, I'd have been even more of a nervous wreck than I already was. I can only imagine that back in the day these people were seriously undernourished!
Overall, it's exactly what I wanted: a new old stock A-2 that, if it was thrown at a pilot in 1942, they would think that it was the nicest jacket they'd ever seen but apart from that they wouldn't give it a second glance.
Anyway, fit pics to follow, and in the meantime I now have to resist jumping back on the queue immediately to get myself a seal one...

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Same here! I didn't really appreciate them until I actually tried one on and realised it suited my body shape.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Looks Great.. Wear it in good health.. I say get back on the queue now that you've got your measurements nailed in ..keep em coming.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
That’s just wonderful Sloan!
So, what are we getting next?
[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Somehow it doesn't seem like two and a half years since you first said you'd jumped on the Goodwear order list - you may disagree!

That hide is utterly wonderful. Reminds me of Vicenza, but without the new sheen. Does John do anything to it to give it that more matte/broken in look, or is that how it comes from the tannery? Lovely colour. Russet is one that I think a lot of places struggle to get right - it can easily turn out a bit too British Leyland Burnt Orange - but this is bang on. Absolute art - just don't get too stunned by it to wear it and enjoy it! ;)

I never really liked A-2's until I found this forum.

A few years before I found this forum, I had a girlfriend that explicitly barred me from buying an A2 when I first expressed interest (hated the leather / knits look - she had no idea of the price of a decent repop then!). She's long gone now and there have been a few A2s....

Graemsay

Practically Family
Lovely jacket @Sloan1874.

You've actually managed to get yours in the time that mine has been "stuck" in the queue. I got to the head about three years ago, just before everything went south for John. I chased him up at the end of last year, and should really follow up. :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations Craig and glad to hear the A-2 was worth the very long wait. Be sure to post fit pictures when you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot