Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when to wear your G-1...do you hear me!?!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Non-issued G-1

I have seen current Naval aviators wearing store bought G-1s'. Some even have side entry pockets. I have even seen a couple wearing a M-422A over the years. Most of the store bought jackets are worn by guys who have "grown" out of their old ones and getting a new issued one is not an easy task these days. So they go out and buy one that looks like an authentic G-1 but don't really know all the little things that make it an authentic G-1.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Having never been in the military, I can't add too much first hand knowledge to the primary question raised by this thread. But I can add this: As a part of my job I have had much contact with the USMC Aviators who are stationed at Cherry Point MCAS. I often see these folks, off base, wearing G-1s with their Charlies. On board base, they wear G-1s over their flightsuits. They do not wear their G-1s with civilian clothing. My USMC pilot friends tell me that the G-1 is still authorized flight gear, but few people actually wear it in the aircraft. The modern CWU-series nomex jacket is much preferred because of its comfort and safty.

I've been interested in "current issue" leather flight jackets for some time and have owned more than a few. While the Air Force began planning the reintroduction of the A-2s in 1987, the first jackets were actually issued in 1988. Cooper, producing under the name "Saddlery", was the first contractor. They had the original 1988 contract and another contract in 1996. Orchard produced a few jackets for the Air Force in a smaller 1992 contract. Interestingly, the Orchard A-2s were of excellent quality and adhered much more closely to the design of the WWII A-2 than did Cooper, who was an original WWII contractor.

In 1998 Avirex began producing A-2s for the Air Force, Cooper and Orchard having bowed out of the picture. They still have the contract but have sold the Avirex name and now produce under the Cockpit brand.

The 1988 A-2s shared many features with the WWII jackets. The '88s had one-piece backs, two-piece sleeves, throat hooks, exterior wind flaps, top-entry pockets and lacked interior pockets. They were different in that they were cut larger and were made of goatskin. Since 1999, the contract specifications have been amended and A-2s now have side-entry pockets, interior pockets and a few other features wich did not exist in either the WWII or 1988 A-2s.

There has been some discussion here about contract numbers and mil-spec jackets. Many manufacturers put official looking numbers on the tags of their civilian jackets to make them look "military". Don't be fooled. These jackets are still civilian and aren't even necessarily mil spec. But it is easy to spot a real, issued modern A-2. Its tag wear contain a series of numbers beginning with either "DLA" or "SPO". For example, SPO100-98-5018 would be on the tag of a 1998 issued Avirex and DLA100-88-XXXX would be on the tag of a 1988 Sadlery.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

AF

fraazierjo

New in Town
Rules for G1's

What's the big problem. We all have different "reasons" for digging these jackets - they're really hot. We probably have different ways of using them, too. Hey - they just look and feel real good!

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
No harm intended....

I believe these guys are only pointing out the simple fact that there are rules and regulations associated with the wear of the G-1 jacket for ACTIVE duty personnel only. I am an Ex-Navy guy myself, never earned a G-1 but as a logistic guy sure wore them and the nomex jackets throughout my 23 years of service. I'm retired and still won't wear a patched G-1 or any other patched jacket on any base installation simply because I didn't earn them. Active duty folks can get in serious trouble for wearing what they call organizational clothing off base, this includes flight gear, coveralls and any form or utility gear.

Havana

One of the Regulars
My former Air Force commander wore his A-2 everyday even though he was at a point in his career where he was working in information services and not flying anymore. The Air Force (of the early 1990's) allowed any pilot to wear the A-2 in place of their standard service jacket. It could be worn anywhere and anytime that you (a pilot) were in uniform, even if you were working in a non-flying capacity. As a pilot, that jacket was yours for the length of your Air Force career. I hope that hasn't changed. The only rule I remember was that it couldn't be worn open. It had to be zipped at least 1/4 of the way up.

Crane's

Familiar Face
I wear an unauthorized A2. I like it and the way it looks. I'm also a pilot so there's a special meaning behind it too. It connects me with a group who's earned their wings whether it's military, commercial or private piloting.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Crane's said:
I wear an unauthorized A2. I like it and the way it looks. I'm also a pilot so there's a special meaning behind it too. It connects me with a group who's earned their wings whether it's military, commercial or private piloting.

I respect that very much. While on Active Duty I did time on 2 carriers and an anphib, I saw many pilots wear their G-1 just about every way possible and no one told them squat. I respect them because they have a tough job putting their lives on the line every time they launch and IMO they can wear their jacket however they please. My opinion only.:D

zeus36

A-List Customer
I was a Navy Aircrewman and later a Polar Crew Chief on the Huey UH1-N in Antarctica.

We were issued our G-1 jackets in Pensacola FL with instructions for uniform wear during my first duty station at HC-16 Helo Squadron (next to the Blue Angeles hangar).

Since I earned my flight jacket, I can wear it anywhere with any combination of civilian gear. I can also wear flight suits, Nomex gloves, and a Navy style ball cap with the jacket if I choose- as long as I do not put on the insignia or rank!

It is not a uniform until it has rank/insignia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot