Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
What do you wear?

I know there are a few members who are diehard vintage wearers, but how bout it, folks? what's your everyday attire?

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Ussually a pair of vintage Levis; 37 501s as I type and either a pair of 1946 Chuck Ts or Indy boots, a vintage style shirt and either an A-2 or a G-1 jacket! B-3 if its really cold. My wife thinks I'm NUTS!!!There could be some truth to it.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Modern suits and ties with a retro slant and once in a blue moon when I haven't been home in a few days I deevolve to this.

dancing01.jpg

Yeah, how 'bout you, Lauren? ;)

I wear cotton shirts (poplins, knits, chambrays, oxfords, and flannels), trousers (khakis in different tones; jeans) and sweaters. No wool if at all possible: that's what suits and coats are for.

I like earth tones. "The Territory Ahead" catalogue sums up my style, but not my price range: just about all my clothing comes from thrift stores. Shoes (except for vintage) I always buy new.

-- Marc

Lauren

I wear lots of jeans and t shirts, with a skirt and button up shirt thrown in every once in a while. I have a weakness for blazers. I like Anthropologie, Diesel, Mango, BCBG, and Paul Frank especially, but I'm more likely to buy one item and have that last me a while, or hold out for the big sales :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Most of the time I do wear vintage or my own vintage repro when I go out, but for sitting around the house, camping and times when I might mess up my nice stuff I usually wear little tees with retro style prints on them and wide-leg, side-button denim pants or capris. I don't do jeans well at all. They instantly stretch out and are all baggy and falling down about 5 minutes after I put them on!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
No name brands(I have a serious issue with paying to be someone else's billboard...you want to advertise on my body, you pay me!), but lots of t-shirts and $12 Target jeans. I wear out my Chuck Taylors...they get really ratty before they get replaced. The last pair cost me $30 and lasted more than 3 years. The current pair cost $20 and will probably last 4-5 since they're leather. My look is borderline greaser. I used to have a 2" pompadour before my hair started falling out...now it's more of a schoolboy cut.

Who else hangs their t-shirts up in the closet instead of folding them and putting them in a drawer?

car.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I guess my total casual look is khakis with a polo shirt with a t-shirt underneath, almost always with a blazer. I only own one pair of jeans and one pair of sneakers that I only wear in the gym.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm....if it's not vintage, it's vintage inspired for me. Even when I wear something modern, people still think it's vintage because of how I'm wearing it.
I wear dress shirts, suits and ties to work everyday. My casual attire( non-vintage) is usually repro jeans, and early 50's inspired knits. Still though, rarely will a day go by that I'm not wearing SOMETHING vintage.
flat-top

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I wear vintage or vintage style/quality clothes all the time. The distinction I draw is more between formal and informal. When I do formal (suit or tux) I usually wear all vintage. And that includes socks, underwear, watch, pomade, everything. When I do daily casual I tend to wear a mix, but any modern stuff I wear has to be period quality and style - for example I have a lot of recently made but totally traditional goodyear welted boots and shoes.

My day to day look changes a lot depending on my mood. I suppose the main looks are greaser-rockabilly-hoodlum based round various vintage leather jackets and repro jeans/ British working class demob circa 1949 a la Hell Drivers (great film) / 1936 western-Hillbilly / English Country gentleman strides the moors circa 1937 (my wife calls it my Bertie Wooster look)/Maquisard circa 1943 (minus the Sten Gun. The British Bobby shoots first and asks questions afterwards these days. A chap even has to be cautious when carrying a walking stick or cane.) Leather jackets feature a lot in all this (I even have a couple that Bertie quite likes).

I have been known to occassionaly morph into all black punk but I guess thats retro now as well. But it's rare I venture past 1957 these days. I'm sure I wouldn't like what I find.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I tend to wear a lot of Carhart jeans & button down shirts. Still wear my fedoras though. As far as foot wear, logger boots for work & some oxfords for boppin around.

Cheers!

Dan

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I like classics with a twist and things that hint at my vintage fascination.
I prefer pencil or a-line skirts,blouses,sweaters,flirty dresses,sleek black capris,and wide leg slacks with a natural waistline. I have yet to find the perfect retro jeans,so I'm not in them very often.
For shoes:Round toe pumps,maryjanes,wedges,and ballet flats are my obsession.
For jewellry: I like to find different ways of using my vintage collection,such as using clip-on earrings to dress up my pumps or bobby pinning a brooch in my hair.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Senator Jack said:
If you ain't wearin' vintage, you need more vintage.

Senator Jack

Remember, a vote for me is a vote against progresss!

Amen to that brother! too bad it's not as easy as it is for some. Ever since I found vintage clothing, I have only bought vintage or vintage like clothes. I shop at vintage shops and thrift shops only. I find some nice dress shirts at thrift shops that look vintage.

I have one pair of jeans and wear them to work on my car, clean the house, or lounge around at home. I never wear them to go hang out with friends!

I don't care for modern fashion at all. I love the 30's and 40's fashion and will wear that for a long time to come. ;)

One thing today that drives me insane is girls wearing dresses or skirts with jeans underneath! What is that all about? If there are any ladies here who wear that fashion, I'm sorry but I think it's out right silly. To me it says: Hello, I didn't know what I wanted to wear today so, I wore both. :p

All the best,
WR.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I don't know anyone my age that wears that,Wild Root. Isn't it mostly teens and twentysomethings? Every generation has to have a trend or 2 that makes the older ones say "Huh?" I'm sure it will be short lived. Hopefully!

I do envy those of you that wear vintage all the time. I wish I could join you,but I'm paranoid about getting hair product on a treasured peice.
A good friend suggested making me a few cute little aprons from her collection of vintage patterns,so I'd feel less paranoid. I'm toying with the idea,but didn't know how people would react.
How would you react if you walked in and found your hairtstylist to be a tiny redhead that looks like she's from another era and wearing an apron?

Lauren

I would love it and say "Can you give me a 30's do and show me better pincurl techniques?"

And Wild Root, I think I was wearing a dress over jeans that one time I came to visit... in fact, I know Matt Deckard has a pic of it. I think i was having one of those "I can't descide what to wear" days, as a matter of fact! Or maybe I'm just a hopeless product of a fashion college... *sigh* :D

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wish I could wear vintage every day but I have nowhere near the amount needed. I don't even have one completely vintage outfit.

Part of the problem is that Austin is a terrible city for good vintage and also that I don't really like wearing things which are damaged or deteriorated. It has to look new which rules out most of the decent vintage items I do find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy