Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the good Italian Restaurants????

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Where are the good independently owned and operated Italian Restaurants? The places where the food is large and the wine is good. (Sorry, no Olive Garden's please;) )

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I love Spiaggia in Chicago though it's operated by a restaurant group and certainly wouldn't be considered a family style Italian restaurant (if that's what you mean by large food).

Flivver

Practically Family
Boston's North End has a wide variety of outstanding Italian restaurants. Which reminds me...it's been too long since I've been to one of them!

Randy

Familiar Face
Joe Bologna's - Lexington, Ky

It's family owned and operated, and has been from day one. Good food, great atmosphere, friendly staff - always a treat!

- R

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brooklyn

Likewise for Brooklyn. Wherever you have a longstanding Italian American population, you'll find pelnty of wonderful eateries. But the West Coast is another story altogether. How do you track the good ones down out there?
Considering how many websites there are dedicated to restaurants, there still isn't enough GOOD information.

Feraud

Bartender
I will try any restaurant in any neighborhood but trust word of mouth from a local. Online and printed recommendations can be too easily biased.

My current favorite Italian restaurants are Bertucci's on Long Island and Forno in Astoria. Both have amazing pizza and meat entrees.

Here in the San Gabriel Valley, I like Petrillos for it's Italian American cuisine and good pizza.

In Las Vegas I reccomend in the Venetian, Pieree Salvaggio's Valentino or their Valentino Grill, they are great.

As a chain, Buca di Beppo's does an extraordinary job of making flavorful Italian dishes. Their Frutti Di Mari is top notch.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Depends upon the style of Italian.
For Northern Italian, "true" Italian there's Bacco on Chartres St. in the French Quarter (a Brennan property)

Irene's

Tommy's Wine Bar (Irene's ex-husband, I believe)

Brick Oven Caf?© out on Williams Boulevard in Kenner, near New Orleans International.

Andrea's

For Sicilian/New Orleans Creole Italian (lots of thick red gravy)
Fausto's Kitchen
II Tony's
Quarter View

Vincent's on St. Charles Avenue and in Metairie (although he's got a bit more sophistication than most of the others I'll list)

Pascal's Manale--originator of "barbecue shrimp."

Venezia--excellent cheese stuffed manicotti

The Lido--a little neighborhood joint in Marrero, near the hospital. A throw-back. Veal Impanante is worth the trip, though.

Many neighborhood poor boy joints have spaghetti and meatballs daily

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
La Dolce Vita on Hanover Street in the North End is a favorite. Wonderful atmospher too.
Waltham's own Chateau is amazing and very affordable. Sit in the Lounge for a club feel or The Gold Room to be surrounded by paintings of famous Italian Americans circa 1978.
Bottege Fiorentina in Coolidge Corner has amazing Italian take out (and small seating). I get my ritual Monday night Pollo Milanese here and had Spaghetti Bolognese last night. Their food has a strong Tuscan influence.
Carlo's in Allston is a gem.
Bon Appetito!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Roy’s Italian Dinners
218 D Street, Eureka, CA 95501
707-442-4574

Northern Italian specialties & fresh seafood. Full bar. Great atmosphere. Same family since 1945 - the kids run it now. I was first drawn to it by the sign, but the food and drinks are just as good...
47b8dc06b3127cceb5cbeb812f9200000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Mulberry Street in NYC. A must for Italian food when in the city.
:eek:fftopic: Lincsong, when is the trip to the Keys?

I won't know when until my vacation request is approved. I get three weeks this year, but I have to wait until the end of March to see when I've been approved.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo