Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the good Italian Restaurants????

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
the good italian restaurants?

apparently my friend tonys kitchen...

we just got back from dinner...whooo...

broccoli soup in a bread bowl, baked ziti with a zillion cheeses, and sauteed chicken in a whatever-he-felt-like-throwing-in sauce...

hoooooweeee...i brought a big dish of ziti back with me...

he baked two pots and said "you're taking one of these home"...

and the guy is scottish...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Two newish discoveries in my life. First, down in Greenwich Village, Fedora's. A group of Loungers ate there recently. NOT great food, but good. But one of the last true OLD Village hangouts. Very authentically Greenwich Village. And they pour a GENEROUS drink.
The other is Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. The neighborhood is called Belmont. You may remember Dion and the Belmonts? They were from here. MANY wonderful Italian restaurants on every corner. On Easter Sunday I ate with a group of friends at Antonioo's Trattoria, on Belmont Ave.
http://www.antoniostrattoria.com/main.htm
Superb!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Staying somehat local to my locale:

Borrelli's in Franklin Square

Cinelli's in Franklin Square

Gemelli Ristorante in Babylon

King Umberto in Elmont

Matteo's in Bellmore

Piccolo Ristorante in Bellmore

. . . just off the top of my head.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
If they're open while you're in town, that is!:p (At least, so I'm told; I've never seen them open during any of my time down there.) Don't try to go the week around Christmas...

Huh????:eek: I've eaten there several times this year. You must mean get a reservation before you go, it's quite a long wait after 7 p.m.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
No, I mean like at 6PM on December 23rd or 27th and the sign says "Closed"... If they always take that week off, I can understand.

Vegas is cold that week. A lot of shows go dark, they probably take their vacation then.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Westchester County, NY, is probably the home of more crummy Italian restaurants than anywhere on the planet. It's like there's a quiet conspiracy (possibly overseen by large men who say they work in the building trades) to overturn the stereotypical belief that Italian-Americans can by nature cook.

We even prefer our pizza watery and floppy hereabouts - just melt the f#¢!!in' cheese and gimme awright? I've had better pizza in old mining towns in central Pennsylvania (there's paesan's in them there hills, in among the Celto-Slavic hordes).

It's actually reached kind of an event horizon. A good non-Italian restaurant is very likely to go belly up and be replaced by a crummy Italian one.

Pizza!

When I travel back to Long Island NY I usually go to Albert's Pizza in Copiague which is on the east side of Great Neck Road just south of Oak street or about one and a half blocks south of the LIRR station.

Albert's Pizza is my long time favorites, and in my travels around, I have found some great pizza (Petrillos in San Gabriel, CA - always order with extra sauce!) that come close, but none that equal or surpass Albert's.

The test of good pizza is the plain cheese , not loaded with tons of toppings, if it's great plain then it should be great with other toppings. At Alberts we would usually get the Square pie the Sicillian pizza. During a week stay we go 2 or 3 times to Albert's.

California Pizza Kitchen's Margherita Pizza, which is pretty plain, is also an honerable mention for out this way!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I just had lunch at Original Joe's in downtown San Jose, CA. :eusa_clap Excellent place. The prawns and scallops were terrific. Vintage late '50s decor. A must see for anyone visiting Silicon Valley.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
People might despute this, but I've always loved having my Italian food at a big, noisy, family-joint called SOFIA'S in Camberwell, Melbourne. I reckon it's great value for money there.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Actually, I think all the good Italian places are in Melbourne.

But we do have Avanti's at Bardon in Brisbane which is worth an honourable mention!

There was a place on Given Terrace - going back 10 years - where they did the best stuffed olives! Can't remember what it was called. And my parents used to like one on Park Rd, but I didn't rate it.

Sydney has some really good Italian restaurants. I miss il baretto in Surry Hills. Gorgeous light gnocchi, wonderful pappardelle with duck ragu, duralex tumblers for your wine.

I haven't yet found an Italian restaurant in the UK with great food, but there is one near us (Roberto's, WD3) where the staff are so charming it fills in the gaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo