Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get one of these?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Following the Lewis Leathers link in another thread, I saw this.
200864135643.jpg

Even though it's not available, I immediately began to drool.
However, I dried up pretty quickly when I realized that the 700 price tag (pretty expensive in dollars) was in pounds.

So, can I get something in this style - it doesn't have to be just like it - for $500 or less? If so, please provide a link.

Thanks.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
whY would you want tO?

...sorry about the crack...couldn't help it...

but seriously, i'd say something this elaborate will look pretty bad if you try to save a couple hundred bucks...you'll still end up wanting it because the one you have just isn't 'it'...i think most people in this forum will testify to that being the case in getting a less expensive a-2 or whatever, then having to go back and spend the higher amount to get something you like

that said, if you still want to save, i'd definitely suggest going to ebay and finding something vintage...whilst looking for luftwaffe-style motorcycle jackets i was always seeing your type of jacket...i was pretty upset as the one i wanted was rather hard to find...i know that if i kept coming across them, you should be able to find something over time...original from the day...

as everyone will say, refine your keywords, keep checking all the possible keyword categories that might have this jacket, and check back from week to week, or day to day...tho all this may be a bit too much work...

just depends on your criteria...do you want to spend the extra money for a new one...accept a medium-grade piece, or put the time in to find the reaL deaL on ebay...

last, you mention you were interested at about $700, not 700 brit pounds...if that's the case, i think aero leather must have a style like this, or could do it for you, in the $700 to $800 range...not speaking for them, but it's worth a try...i ordered a highwayman, talked to their u.s. rep mark, and as everyone here will agree, that guy is amazing, will customize very graciously to your needs...that's the route i'd take (and finally did for the motorcycle/luftwaffe jacket i wanted)

good luck

p.s. but really, why do you want one

(kidding)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Get the real thing for a couple hundred-

Barbour International, or Belstaff Trialmaster.
They are waxed cotton motorcycle jackets, British traditional style, more recently copied for the movies, in leather. I guess LL had to offer something in that vein. Much better in the waxed cotton. Too thick in leather.

And Black Waxed looks great.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
In leather:

Belstaff New Panther:

0007c030bb5d4aa4919e19ab1f59977f.jpg

Belstaff New Panther Replica Vent:

d280c45f3402554e5436a50b4b2b071a.jpg

Belstaff Centaur:

822ca4a33c8a45515780813596467707.jpg

All leather, nearest to the classic Trialmaster design it appears they have. If this story: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/belstaff/ is correct, Belstaff have now discontinued the classic Trialmaster design. Possibly part of a company rethink - since the buyout by an Italian firm, it does look to me that they are placing as much, if not more, emphasis on repositioning the brand as a fashion house as a producer of motorcycle goods.

Can't find a price anywhere on Google for the above. The standard Wax cotton Trialmasters that are still available from some vendors sell for in the region of GBP300; I'd expect the leather options to be at least GBP100 more, though probably not quite so expensive as Lewis (they are definitely expensive nowadays).

Personally, I'd be surprised if you could find anything quality new in leather in a design like that for as little as USD500, but I can't claim to be an expert there.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've loved the panther for a while now, but I think the price tag in the US is well over $1500 because Belstaff became an "it" fashion brand a few years ago.

Edward

Bartender
Ouch. I'd been thinknig it'd be a little cheaper than the Lewis.... I'm sure I remember looking at them about two years ago when Belstaff had a Trialmaster in wax and one in leather, the leather one was about £400 or so...

I'd like a jacket in this general design myself, but I'm planning to stick with a Barbour International in wax cotton - especially at those prices! :eek:

Black Prince

Familiar Face
You can sometimes find Lewis Leathers bargains on eBay (I have a 1970s/'80s UK motorcycle police jacket in similar belted style) or here. Can be costly, though.

A Harris

New in Town
If this story: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/belstaff/ is correct, Belstaff have now discontinued the classic Trialmaster design.

Belstaff hasn't discontinued the Trialmaster as a functional motorcycle jacket, they've just renamed it:

http://www.bel-store.co.uk/classictouristtrophyman.html

Don't expect a "Fashion" version to actually fit.
To pay something like $1500 for a fashion article, which is useless as a functional garment... would make the purchaser a double loser.

I have a Panther, and while it is not Aero tough, it certainly is functional as a riding jacket.

Schott did a version a short time ago which they were clearing out for $350 apiece. I can't find it on the site though, so they are probably sold out:

7x9ph78.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I remember seeing the Schott years ago, but it was priced around $850. Had I known that it went on clearance fur under 4, I would have picked one up.

The Barbour is nice, and had I been aware of the sale here, I may have considered it. Though I like it, everything is a bit more rounded than what I'm looking for.

A Harris

New in Town
Lefty said:
Though I like it, everything is a bit more rounded than what I'm looking for.

Even though Belstaff copied Barbour's original design, I think they improved it. The pockets in the Barbour's have always looked off to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace