Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
The day the music died

I LOVE Buddy Holly. The day the music died was February 3, 1959. My daughter was born on February 3, 2009 - the 50 year anniversary. I couldn't believe it! My doctor told me my due date was on the 2nd - Groundhog's Day. When people asked me when my due date was I'd tell them the 2nd but that I wanted the baby to come on the 3rd because of the Anniversary. So, 5909 is for Buddy and my daughter Marilyn.

vintagekttn

New in Town
Should I be saying this?

I have only told a few people, but now I am telling everyone. Many many years ago, one of my friends commented on a pair of heels I was wearing. She thought they were a bit high, and started calling me kitten.. for my "f*** me pumps." (Her words not mine :D ). The name stuck at the time, with everyone calling me kitten. I just tacked on the vintage since that is my passion, and it seems to tone it down a bit. ;)

Big_e

Practically Family
Only my brother and oldest of friends call me big E. But at 5'7 I'm not that big at all. That's why I use Big_e with a small e.
Rememer, it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Ernest

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I received the title of "Kentucky Colonel" by the governor of Kentucky on Sept. 30, 2004. It might be a common thing in Kentucky, but for someone like me living in Florida, it was rather remarkable. I have since used "Colonel" as a user name on several forums.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
When I deployed to Iraq, our downtime was incessantly taken up by playing the video game Halo for xbox.

In the game you enter your own name for the character you play, and for some reason or another, a good friend of mine called me Vim, as I was full of vim and vigor and it stuck so well that Vim became my nickname in the platoon. I threw the Mr in front of it because anytime someone said

"Hey Vim!"
I would respond,
"That's Mr. Vim to you!"

There it is.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
If you look closely at my avatar, you'll see the name of that B17 is Silver Dollar. It was first used in 1944 with the Hundredth Bomb Group. A good friend of mine was the first ball turret gunner for that particular aircraft. In fact, he named it because when it was delivered to the 100th, it was unpainted aluminum. He told his crew that the new airplane shined like a brand new silver dollar. His mother then sent each member of his crew a new silver dollar for luck. My friend who passed away 13 years ago was the one that really got me interested in the history of the 100th and the 8th AF in general. In his honor, I took the name Silver Dollar.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Nuclear

I work in nuclear medicine and the word nuclear is scary. I realized after a while I liked the word "atomic" because it had a much lighter and fun sound to it and brought 1950's imagery to my head (I know, really sick considering how people in the 50's viewed the word atomic).

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vintagekttn said:
I have only told a few people, but now I am telling everyone. Many many years ago, one of my friends commented on a pair of heels I was wearing. She thought they were a bit high, and started calling me kitten.. for my "f*** me pumps." (Her words not mine :D ). The name stuck at the time, with everyone calling me kitten. I just tacked on the vintage since that is my passion, and it seems to tone it down a bit. ;)

Haha, well, I think that's a good enough story to get you a free drink here at the lounge!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I play flute. I like the number 7. Thus, my username is fluteplayer07. And I added the 0 in for purely arbitrary reasons. I use it for all other public venues I am a member on, except for eBay, where fluteplayer07 was already taken. So I used fluteplayer007. And I always sign as flute.

Cheers,

tuppence

Practically Family
My Dad would call me 'Tuppence Toad'

Tuppence for short, It was quite common nick way back in the dark ages. I also got 'half-pint'....My sister was 'Peachy or Blossom' ...way to give a girl an inferiority complex.
My mother called me 'Grub' and it is still apt today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes