Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

spiridon

A-List Customer
Mine comes from the name of the running/racing team that I created and coach. A post grad team, we travel around to races and compete. The name itself (Spiridon) was inspired by the winner of the first "modern" Olympic games marathon......Spiridon Louis.

canucklehead

New in Town
Ah-well-a-well-a-well-a....

Just a portmanteau of "canuck" and "knucklehead".

The former is because sometimes I like to go oot furra few beer an' some bacon, eh? Oh - I also wrestle bull moose for fun, just got my dogsled license, I bleed maple syrup and, last, but not least, my national animal provides fur for some of the finest felt hats out there.

The second ... well ... because I have a habit of acting before thinking and that usually leaves me embarrassed at one level or another.

Not too much to it, really... I suppose it also shows my liking for playing around with words.

-Mike

PS - I claim no responsibility for any misconceptions my hyperbole may cause about Canada.

RedPop4

One Too Many
First off, I have red hair.
One of my Daddy's (sorry, even with me being 40, he'll always be my Daddy) good friends called and still calls me RedPop, every time he sees me. My Daddy was a third (III) and I'm a fourth (IV) so instead of RedPopIV, I use the Arabic 4, instead.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
canucklehead said:
-Mike

PS - I claim no responsibility for any misconceptions my hyperbole may cause about Canada.

And you only pay income tax if you own more than one igloo! (As told to me by a Canadian I met in London once years ago!)

-dixon cannon

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
If you are looking for period jargon

check out the Nero Wolfe mystery series by Rex Stout. The tales are narrated by Nero's right-hand man Archie Goodwin. There is some of the grit of Chandler in them, but with more humor, and excellent food.

Tony in Tarzana

deanglen said:
First and middle name. I did it because I wish "Glen" was my last name. My given last name "Dumbrille" has been tough to wear over the years.

dean

I first read yours as De Anglen, which I surmised had something to do with angels or anglers. lol

I'm Tony, and I live in Tarzana, former home of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

BegintheBeguine

I know but too well what they mean

Since it took 3 tries for me to get signed on to the Lounge (but worth the wait, thanks again to MK) this user name was my 3rd pick but I think my favorite. It is my all-time favorite popular song. Perry Como does a nice version of Begin the Beguine as well as Michael Nesmith, of all people.

Doh!

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
I'm Tony, and I live in Tarzana, former home of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

When I first heard that, I thought it was the BEST origin for a town's name ever!

Still is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot