Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where in London?

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
... would the cognoscenti suggest I go to have a hat reblocked?

It's an old Dunhill fur felt fedora which is still in fine condition but has shrunk a little...
Not sure if either Bates or Lock would do it, and another address would help if they wouldn't.
Should I take an appointment? wait while they do it? Heeeelp! :D
Also, a suggestion for a bespoke shirt or 2 (any first hand recommendation from Jermyn Street?)
TIA

achi11es

New in Town
You could ask Lock. I think they mentioned to me once that they do restoration, including reblocking...but from what I remember, their chares are astronomical. As for shirts, Hilditch & Key are good, but there are a couple of shirt makers that I want to try in Burlington arcade. Burlington arcade is next to Green Park station, leading onto Saville Row.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Well, went to Bates and Hilditch & Key. Said hello to Binks. Gentleman in charge of the hat part of the shop put my hat on the stretcher, and used some steam... All good. and with his compliments. I will certainly return.

Next to Bates is Taylor of Bond Street, so stocked up on Sandalwood, both in shaving soap and shaving creme.

Did not find any shirt maker in Burlington arcade but quite a few vintage watch shops (with really nice selections but what I believe are mostly unrealistic expectations :D)

A very enjoyable stroll. Pity the road works spoil the pleasure from Picadilly...

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Well, went to Bates and Hilditch & Key. Said hello to Binks. Gentleman in charge of the hat part of the shop put my hat on the stretcher, and used some steam... All good. and with his compliments. I will certainly return.

Next to Bates is Taylor of Bond Street, so stocked up on Sandalwood, both in shaving soap and shaving creme.

Did not find any shirt maker in Burlington arcade but quite a few vintage watch shops (with really nice selections but what I believe are mostly unrealistic expectations :D)

A very enjoyable stroll. Pity the road works spoil the pleasure from Picadilly...

Yes it's a lovely part of London. Did you look in any of the other arcades like the Piccadilly Arcade? There's a wealth of beautiful shops in that area and I love just walking around the streets and garden squares.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Yes of course I went through Piccadilly Arcade. I could feel how terrified the cards in my wallet were :lol:

But it is quite a feat for the eyes. And I could not just walk past F&M...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Also, a suggestion for a bespoke shirt or 2 (any first hand recommendation from Jermyn Street?)
I was a customer of Turnbull & Asser for several years in the 90s.

Pros: A nicely constructed, well fitted shirt with an interesting collection of shirting (many proprietary) to choose from.

Cons:They botched at least a shirt or two in every order. Wrong collar, wrong cuffs, wrong pockets, etc....and while they would eventually fix them it just became a tedious exercise. I've used several shirt makers over the years and these types of errors happen from time to time with even the top houses but this was excessive.

Now if you wanted a Paris rec I would have nothing but praise for my present shirt maker at Place Vendôme.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran