Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where should I start looking?

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Hello all! I'm fairly new to the Lounge, and this is my first thread. I was wondering if any of you could help me with something?

I'm 17 now, and I would really love to start dressing vintage. But I honestly have no clue where to begin; that's where I'm hoping you will all come in, for I'm not very good at this! I'm a guy, by-the-way. That's probably a helpful bit of information. I don't believe a dress would suit me too well...
I'm most interested in the twenties, thirties, and early forties.

Thank you to everyone in advance! :D

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think if I were you, I'd go on eBay, dig around in the vintage clothing section, and if you see anything that strikes you, maybe ask here if it's legit, and if so, how much might be reasonable to bid for it. After that, your only limit should be your wallet.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say, first look around here for inspiration, and then go to salvation army and other thrift stores. Be patient and go back every few weeks, or however often you think they get new stuff, and find clothing that fits the look that you want. That is generally how I do it. This does not work as well if you want actual vintage clothing, as not much of that ends up in salvation army. However, if you are trying to go for the look, that is completely possible.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Try thrift shops, ebay, antique stores and the like. Don't expect to get everything at once, start with what you think is the most important (an overcoat, a hat, a jacket, a suit, some ties) and work your way down. It takes patience and some knowledge, but really good things can be had on the cheap. Take some time to look through old threads here to familiarize yourself with how to know the date of various things. And if you have questions, most people are pretty helpful here.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Thanks to everyone else for the advice. It all seems to me you've said generally the same, so I'll trust you all!
I've already taken a look in the "What are you Wearing Today" thread, and it has given me quite a few ideas. Again, thank you very much!

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I definitely support the eBay idea - it's truly excellent some of the stuff that comes up on there. Do you have a 'vintage' haircut to go with it?

Being 18 myself I find shopping for vintage fairly easy thanks to being of fairly vintage size. The catalogues posted in the 'Suits' section were my biggest inspiration and source for what to look out for when I first came to reading the Lounge.

Good luck in collecting and getting into vintage!

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
I definitely support the eBay idea - it's truly excellent some of the stuff that comes up on there. Do you have a 'vintage' haircut to go with it?

Being 18 myself I find shopping for vintage fairly easy thanks to being of fairly vintage size. The catalogues posted in the 'Suits' section were my biggest inspiration and source for what to look out for when I first came to reading the Lounge.

Good luck in collecting and getting into vintage!

I have rather thick, curly hair, so I just stick to short sides and back with a longer top. I hardly put pomade in it as it tends to make me look younger and hardly holds. I leave it dry most of the time.

Thanks for the luck! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy