Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a custom fedora?

Lew Decker

New in Town
I used to go to the fedora store to have my hats customized - brim, ribbon, color scheme etc.

On my most recent visit to this site I could not find this option; the Fedora Store informed me that Beaver Brand Hats (since 1860), the folks that offered this great option is now out of business!

So, I’m wondering if anyone knows of another place that will customize your hat order.

The more options the better.

“Dead men are heavier than broken hearts.”
― Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
I believe if you stick with these recommendations you will do well. I have one custom made by Tony at Tumwater hats, and would have to say its awesome!

For the first-time custom hat buyer, I can recommend without reservation Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes and Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters. Both have the experience, the equipment, and the knowhow to get you a hat of first-rate quality in the style you wish. And both are straight shooters. (Sadly, there's still a fair amount of BS in the custom hat trade. Fortunately, those most prone to spinning tales avoid this place.)

At less than $400, you just can't beat the deal. Rare is the factory-made hat, at any price, that even comes close to rivaling the quality of materials and workmanship. And custom hats from other makers are often priced a whole lot higher, for what is certainly no better a hat, and likely a lesser one.

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
Don't forget your own hats, Tony! I know you don't wanna toot your own horn, but I've seen the beauties you turn out and he couldn't go wrong with you either.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There is only one place to go for custom....and that would be Art Fawcett..Give him a call. You will be very happy.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Lew Decker, nice to see there is another fedora wearing person in New Hampshire - I think that makes about 3 of us :)

As you've seen, there are many custom hat makers around and they all have their fans.

For me, my first custom hat was from the way too modest, tonyb at Tumwater Hats. This remains one of my favorites and I have a couple more and a new one on order. I'd say the finish and feel of the felt on Tony's hats is the best of all my customs.

I also have hats from Art Fawcett, Black Sheep, Optimo and Penman - other than Optimo, each has been a really good experience and I'd recommend the hatmaker 100%.

There are threads on the forum with examples of each hatters work - you might want to check them out:

Tumwater

Art Fawcett

Black Sheep

Optimo

Penman

Buckaroo - I don't have one, but Major Moore is a great guy.

Hope this helps.

Lew Decker

New in Town
Thanks to all for the great positive feedback.
I will take my time looking this over.
Looking at both sides of the coin - i'm wondering if there are any to stay away from.
I personally like a classic fedora - i think the one that was worn by Alain Delon in Le Samourai is one that I would like to have custom made.
There was one site that claimed to have recreated this hat - but after looking at it carefully it was obvious to me that it was not the hat.
I also like the classic american lines of the stratoliner.

Lew Decker

New in Town
Tonyb,
Thanks for this most informative post.
I appreciate that Mulceber and DJH (from NH) mentioned Tumwater. I'm all about quality and price.
You're busted.
I try to pick up a hat once a year if/when my bonus comes in here at the chocolate factory.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to acquire a hat from all of them eventually...

But from experience I'll definitely put in a recommendation for Parker at Falcon Park Hattery. http://www.falconparkhattery.com/Home.html

To add to the list, Leon Drexler's website has gotten my attention as well, but I have no experience with him. http://www.leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html

Most hatters seem to have their "licks" so check them all out and see which might suit your needs best, for the Le Samourai hat. Even Western hatters often make nice fedoras. Looks like the one you're honing in on could also be found fairly readily in vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy