Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would we be without eBay?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Honestly, it seems like %85 of the items showcased around here were acquired via eBay. That auction website is shrine for us, in a manner of speaking. So many treasures are contained within it, and new ones pop up every day!

In my eyes, a FL member isn't really a member unless they have an eBay account. :p

Where would we be without it?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
I never use it. I like buying evrything in person.

Yes, but look at your location, as opposed to the others. Not too many vintage shops in the middle of TN or OH.... or Florida, for that matter.lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Actually, Ebay hasn't been that great for me. I have gotten a few gems on there, but often times I get mediocre things for way too much money.

Nashoba

One Too Many
panamag8or said:
Yes, but look at your location, as opposed to the others. Not too many vintage shops in the middle of TN or OH.... or Florida, for that matter.lol

Precisely! While I'm able to find some stuff at the flea market every month (lately it's been hats...) I don't quite have the same selection here in Mid TN as I did when we were in Ca. There are a few great stores here, but I've found that they tip on the expensive end and I've had much better luck being choosy from ebay.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
While various members may or may not have the luxury to shop in person for things, I would really say that making a categorical statement like:

"In my eyes, a FL member isn't really a member unless they have an eBay account."

Even in jest, is a poor way to share interests and enjoy the cameraderie with everyone here. It doesn't matter -how- we get the things we love...

Feraud

Bartender
Ebay gives most of us access to more stuff but vintage shopping has always been around. The difference is having to work to get your stuff from non Ebay sources.
Nowadays people are acquiring years worth of goods with a push of the button. Experience and knowledge are not so easily bought.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I obviously am not very good at promoting conversation. I guess I'll leave the thread work to the experts.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think you're on a role so far. :)

I have been a member of eBay for a long time, and though I don't buy many "vintage things" there often, the items I need and no longer exist, I am able to find on eBay, many times for half the price. You get real deals on eBay that you'd hardly find in a store.

It also connects the garage sales of the world. There's that item that no long is sold in your country, but just hop on over to the UK eBay, or the Asian eBay, and you'll find what you've been looking for.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I recently signed up on eBay, and I still feel that vintage-goods are off-limits. Especially after having 2 straw boaters, a camera and a '39 world's fair lapel pin yanked from my hands by overpaying collectors....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In practical terms, I wouldn't have been able to write my book without eBay -- a huge swath of the research materials that went into it in the way of 1930s radio magazines, newspaper clippings, and other essential source materials came from there. I've never added up exactly how much it all cost, but it was certainly more than I've made in royalties...

One good thing about eBay is that it puts those of us who live out in the sticks on a level playing field so far as finding prime items is concerned. Those of you who live in cities with a wide array of choices for vintage shopping in person can't begin to imagine what it's like when all you have are picked-over yard sales, flea markets full of cheap Taiwanese socket-wrench sets and moldy LP records from the 80s, and the occasional fly-blown junk shop whose only vintage clothing item is a faded chennile bathrobe with stains on the lapels and a $50 price tag "because it's old." Without eBay, we got nothin'.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
There are indeed a lot of things many of us can only get on ebay, and some things we can only find offline. I've found that most of what I buy on ebay is modern stuff such as computer parts. I've discovered most of my vintage finds offline in the "real" world.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
I obviously am not very good at promoting conversation. I guess I'll leave the thread work to the experts.

Don't think like that. It's already on the second page.:D

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Well, I don't mean anything against eBay! In fact, I think it's awesome. Browsing it is fun in itself. It is just that, despite the hours I may spend on my computer, I have never really adapted to internet life in some aspects.

I was lucky enough to come across Art Fawcett's shop to buy my first respectable lid. Other folks can't roll the die that way.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Actually, Ebay hasn't been that great for me. I have gotten a few gems on there, but often times I get mediocre things for way too much money.
i've got a love-hate relationship with eBay. it's true that it does open the world to you, but now instead of people just giving away their "old junk" to a local thrift store, everybody thinks they can sell it at a premium. it's kinda annoying...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183